HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Money Saving Techniques

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #961
Supremacy Member

Hello everyone, will love to add my humble suggestions!

For me, when I started trying to save money, is to focus on having a financial goal. Sometimes I get tempted to shop or want to have what someone is having, I remind myself of my main goal.

My first goal was to buy a property for my family,... which I think is pretty crazy now. But I guess when you're young, you don't know any better.

So when I see friends of mine buying new, shiny things, I keep telling myself to focus.

Also, to get out of temptations by not shopping. For 2 years, spent my weekends looking at different properties. Makes you dream!

Second, is to have accountability. I will share what I want with someone (usually my best friends) and get them to remind or scold me if I falter.

Third, I always have try to gamify the experience and reward myself when I hit a milestone. I love food and travel... so those are my rewards!

In any case, I am trying to be more minimalistic in 2018.. so one of my goals is to NOT shop, unless necessary....

I am trying to exercise more but I didn't want to continue my gym memberships so I am running + following YouTube fitness gurus. HAHA.

Will love to learn more strategies from all of you.. read about 10 pages before having the courage to post this.

Happy weekend!
Thanks for sharing.
qhong61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #962
High Supremacy Member

For me, when I started trying to save money, is to focus on having a financial goal. Sometimes I get tempted to shop or want to have what someone is having, I remind myself of my main goal.

My first goal was to buy a property for my family,... which I think is pretty crazy now. But I guess when you're young, you don't know any better.

So when I see friends of mine buying new, shiny things, I keep telling myself to focus.

Also, to get out of temptations by not shopping. For 2 years, spent my weekends looking at different properties. Makes you dream!

Second, is to have accountability. I will share what I want with someone (usually my best friends) and get them to remind or scold me if I falter.

Third, I always have try to gamify the experience and reward myself when I hit a milestone. I love food and travel... so those are my rewards!

In any case, I am trying to be more minimalistic in 2018.. so one of my goals is to NOT shop, unless necessary....

I am trying to exercise more but I didn't want to continue my gym memberships so I am running + following YouTube fitness gurus. HAHA.

Will love to learn more strategies from all of you.. read about 10 pages before having the courage to post this.

Happy weekend!
Manage to get a property for your family?

Old 30-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #963
Supremacy Member

Happy weekend!
Here's mine, the extreme way of saving money
Internet Bill = $0 (Use Mobile)
Mobile Bill = $20 (No Sims) + Use Corporate SIM card (Company pays for data)
Utilities = $150 (on average)
Food = $100-150 (Lunch)
Tpt = $50 (Take Company shuttle bus)
TOTAL PERSON SPENDING = about $400 - 500

Parent Allowance = $1000 (This one cannot 节省 because of gratitude to parents)

When you are sick, don't see doctor. Just rest and let your body recover itself.

Don't need to keep buying shoes and clothes. Just buy them from Daiso at $2 per item. Cheaper than Uniqlo.

Stay away from electronics (they are depreciating assets).........
ExtremeWays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #964

Any part time online jobs
lollipop789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #965

Erm. I thought it's pretty straightforward!

I kinda don't use it in its intended ways though. I don't input my full salary at the start of every month - I include just 1.8k a month and allocate from there. The rest of the sum is left untouched in my bank acct. Out of sight, out of mind!

As part of my saving money tactic (or maybe an excuse cause I am a loner), I don't lunch with my colleagues. Always spend a lot more when lunching out with friends.. I'll just go coffee shop eat and key in my YNAB after every meal.

Quite tight though especially when you have to give ang bao....

any advance on how to set it up properly
veryhappyfeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #966
High Supremacy Member

Any part time online jobs
youtube loh
wahkao3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #967

keep aside money regularly, like $10 a days (or whatever amount you are comfortable).

Every time I manage to "save" like not taking taxi, or not drinking coffee after lunch, or as simple as not drinking starbucks but local coffee, I will add that into my piggy bank.

If you save $10/days on weekday, you will have at least $2500 at the end of the year.

Well does not sound but still money and it is not very hard to do

Last edited by lingua101; 02-02-2018 at 11:42 AM..
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #968
Supremacy Member

keep aside money regularly, like $10 a days (or whatever amount you are comfortable).

Every time I manage to "save" like not taking taxi, or not drinking coffee after lunch, or as simple as not drinking starbucks but local coffee, I will add that into my piggy bank.

If you save $10/days on weekday, you will have at least $2500 at the end of the month.

Only $300....
qhong61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #969
Supremacy Member

If you save $10/days on weekday, you will have at least $2500 at the end of the month.

you have 250 weekdays in a month?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #970

you have 250 weekdays in a month?
sorry typo... I mean end of the year
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #971

Only $300....
yeah typo. correctly..

$300/month better than nothing right
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.