HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

OCBC Structured Deposit

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

Helped my mum to invest in this FD today but was pleasantly surprised to see a better deal in the SD offered.

Details about the SD
1) Capital Guaranteed if held to maturity
2) Guaranteed effective interest of 1.55%pa (Compared to 0.75% for FD)
3) Maximum effective interest of 2.05% (The difference is subjected to the performance of the underlying share)
4) 4 years tenor
5) Underlying share was SPC

The minimum subscription is $5000 and the offer period ends on the 2nd to 3rd week of July

Of course, you might argue that the mere 1 to 2 percent will still result in negative real interest rate but hey its the best available according to my mum's risk profile.

Its not listed on OCBC web site, so if you are interested, I can pass you the contact.
Dont take. OCBC always do this kind of thing to move you away from FD.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #17

lol cscs3 he alr take you say dun take also no use haha
NumsLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #18

u put 5k into FD, u get meagre rates.

u put 5k into this SD, u get an effective interest of 1.55%pa over 4 years regardless of the performance of SPH.
hmm

then isnt 2.25% pa for 5 years better?
zhiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #19

new product, 2.5% yield yearly guaranteed, capital guaranteed also
zhiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #20

hmm ... how about the preference shares from OCBC, DBS & UOB ? they seem quite stable
Tee_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #21
Master Member

hmm ... how about the preference shares from OCBC, DBS & UOB ? they seem quite stable
If you are prepared to hold them for a long long time, it's much better than long term FD as you are getting mor than 5% return on half yearly basis. In the long term I believe FD rates will keep declining till like no interest and the preference shares might appreciate a little above liquidation value.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

hmm

then isnt 2.25% pa for 5 years better?
Is better to look into the term anc condition and those small prints. Some package is 1st year ot 1st 2 year 2.25% and subsequently depending on certain condition. Worse case is 0 interest of the next 4 or 3 years. So you average out same as FD. But FD is year by year. The structured deposit will hold you up at least 5 years.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #23

hmm.. for structured deposit (g'tee by bank), UOB fortune deposit series 7 has a guaranteed net yield of 1.83% pa. threadstarter may want to let mum consider that for her other monies.

otherwise, for similar period, why not go for the TM Asialife 2.5% guarantee yield plan? single premium non-par returns backed by mix of gov/corp bonds. i.e. not based on projected rates of returns. Annual guaranteed dividend of 2.5% is issued from end of yr 1 onwards. Net yield 2.5% pa over 5yrs.

see my post here.
Old 17-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #24

I prefer investment in structured deposits. It gives good returns through equities, interest rates, market indices, foreign exchange or a combination of these. I'm investing in DBS structured deposits from last year and its definitely better and safer way to invest your money.
lee.jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #25

u put in SD die die must wait for 4 yrs, else early termination is penalty of 10-15%
get single premium insurance plan with *guaranteed* returns with insurance coverage
their interest is usually 2.xx% guaranteed, it will always be higher than watever kind of structured deposit. prudential/hsbc insurance often have such plans
anything happen (touch wood) insurance company can pay up within 1 month
windroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #26
Master Member

I prefer investment in structured deposits. It gives good returns through equities, interest rates, market indices, foreign exchange or a combination of these. I'm investing in DBS structured deposits from last year and its definitely better and safer way to invest your money.
*sniff* *sniff* I smell astroturfing. Have a look at this post history...

lee.jess posts about DBS structured deposits.
lee.jess posts about DBS unit trusts.
lee.jess posts about DBS insurance.
lee.jess posts about DBS Travelshield insurance.
lee.jess posts about DBS Altitude credit cards.
lee.jess posts about DBS credit cards.
lee.jess posts about DBS life insurance.

lee.jess, what are we going to do with you?
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=revenant;38755858]Helped my mum to invest in this FD today but was pleasantly surprised to see a better deal in the SD offered.

Details about the SD
3) Maximum effective interest of 2.05% (The difference is subjected to the performance of the underlying share)
4) 4 years tenor
QUOTE]

u know that the banks in sg are ripping the consumers off big time on saving interst. Look at the interest rate that these australian banks are giving.
http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking/

it is worthwhile to explore the means of putting your saving in some of these oz banks (not all in one basket).
fishbuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #28
Master Member

u know that the banks in sg are ripping the consumers off big time on saving interst. Look at the interest rate that these australian banks are giving.

it is worthwhile to explore the means of putting your saving in some of these oz banks (not all in one basket).
Before you say sg banks are "ripping consumers off", do you know what affects bank interest rates?
Based on your statement I guess a lot of banks all over the world are "ripping consumers off" except the Aussies.
icyspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #29

[QUOTE=fishbuff;46638696]
Helped my mum to invest in this FD today but was pleasantly surprised to see a better deal in the SD offered.

Details about the SD
4) 4 years tenor
QUOTE]

But you must also take into consideration of the foreign exchange risk. Recently AUSSIE dollars depreciate against Sing dollar.. So effectively the interest is lost. Not to mention about the charges for Telegraphic Transfer from those banks to SG.
kawaiiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #30

lee.jess, what are we going to do with you?[/quote]

We should report this person to MAS. Let MAS track this person down and charge him/her for breach of Financial Adviser Act. This person is solicitng for bisnuess outside the bank premises and had reccommended financial products without checking if this product is suitable for everyone. This structured products may tank. Forgotten about all this Minibonds, Jublilee notes and Pinacle notes?? Promise this rates that rates, in the end investor end up with nothing
pentium_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.