peer to peer lending? moolahsense safe ma?

letscrowdsmarter

Reaction score
Regulated means there are laws/statues written to control how a certain activity is carried out. But since crowdfunding platforms are relatively new developments, there are not sufficient discussion to understand how to 'regulate' an activity. Unregulated doesn't mean dodgy. Say for example, if i make a business out of walking people's dog... this activity is unregulated because there is simply no law saying how it should be done, but it doesn't mean the activity is dodgy or illegal.

By the way, I blog about how to approach crowdfunding as an investor.

Full disclaimer: I am a retail investor investing in crowdfunding campaigns. But I am not affiliated with any platform companies (moolahsense, capitalmatch) or borrowing companies.

edit by mod: Unsolicited Content (Commercial solicitation / Ads / Referrals / Spam)

Last edited by a moderator:

jsnipe

Reaction score
Enquiry

Hi there just came across this thread when I chanced upon moolahsense. May I know if you have successfully collected the repayments thus far? and from what I have calculated the return is about 6.6% per year (not sure if correctly), is it the same percentage shown on the web when you first get into this loan agreement?

Thanks in advance!

Thats not correct

I get principal+interest back every month

payback.png

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/ban...ine-lending-sector-may-see-first-loan-default
Singapore p2p online lending sector may see first loan default
Capital Match says troubled customer is in construction business; MoolahSense and Funding Societies claim their loans at no risk of default

https://crowdsmarter.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/rupinis-default-what-happens-now/
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...r-2015-rupinis-beauty-consultant-5240613.html

BT says moolahsense no defaults, but I google I find these threads?

microtek

Master Member
Reaction score
I just put a bit into Epicentre's campaign at Moolahsense. It's the most established business as compared to the other SMEs that I have never heard of. Fully aware that I might not get my capital back if anything happens but I'll see how it goes.

ericsem

Reaction score
Indian company .... The original loan was 3 months bullet repayment but bulk of it not repaid upon maturity so it was 'restructured' into 11 months equal instalment but so far 2 instalments have been late and the latest instalment remained unpaid though due a few days ago. sianz

Last edited:

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Indian company .... The original loan was 3 months bullet repayment but bulk of it not repaid upon maturity so it was 'restructured' into 11 months equal instalment but so far 2 instalments have been late and the latest instalment remained unpaid though due a few days ago. sianz

Thanks for the update. Since the 3 mth loan restructured to '11 mths' what is the effective interest rate of the loan? Did the borrower have to pay more interest, or interest the same.

Eg: If borrower can borrow at 15% for 1 year, then later 'restructure' into 3 years without needing to pay extra interest, the 15% interest rate effective drops to around 5%, might as well buy Aspial bond and earn more interest

ericsem

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Since the 3 mth loan restructured to '11 mths' what is the effective interest rate of the loan? Did the borrower have to pay more interest, or interest the same.

Eg: If borrower can borrow at 15% for 1 year, then later 'restructure' into 3 years without needing to pay extra interest, the 15% interest rate effective drops to around 5%, might as well buy Aspial bond and earn more interest

additional interest is chargeable after the 'restructuring' and it was at a higher nominal rate but was not informed what was the effective rate though.

terryhoho

Reaction score
Their returns are in 10-20% P.A.

for a consumer you might think where they get so much money to return to my investment.

To the business who loan fund from you.
eg; $100k. 20% would translate into 20k p.a or 1.6k/ month.
1.6k is only at the additional expense of 1 employee.
I consider this amount of money exposure to a company can be collected back easily.

Another thing i notice about the public-listed company who borrow from P2P are typically company a value-investor would not invest in.
But for fixed return can be worth the shot.

rojak-

Reaction score
seems like moolahsense has been gaining traction and getting more reputable companies subscribe to them. epicentre and subway (franchisee) for example. here's an interesting article about why epicentre went to them for crowdsourcing...

http://crowdsourcingweek.com/blog/crowdsourcing-news-roundup-may-6/

DBS Bank has partnered up with P2P lending platforms to expand funding sources to small businesses
Retailer of Apple products, EpiCentre, is the first company to have raised $1 million in 26 hours on MoolahSense. Check this article to find out about more mainstream companies turning to crowdfunding platforms
The retailer of Apple products rolled out two fund-raising campaigns on MoolahSense on March 14, raising a combined $1 million in 26 hours for stock inventory purchases. It launched a third campaign three days later for $500,000, which was fully funded in about a week. MoolahSense chief executive Lawrence Yong said EpiCentre is the first listed company to have raised funds on the crowdfunding platform. “Sometimes, in business, you don’t have time to wait – if the opportunity is there, you have to grab it. So it’s important that companies have this quick, flexible access to capital, which can give them a competitive edge.” He also noted that P2P lending allows companies to diversify their sources of funding in a way that involves less time and money compared with issuing bonds or filing for an initial public offering.

alexchia01

Reaction score
seems like moolahsense has been gaining traction and getting more reputable companies subscribe to them. epicentre and subway (franchisee) for example. here's an interesting article about why epicentre went to them for crowdsourcing...

http://crowdsourcingweek.com/blog/crowdsourcing-news-roundup-may-6/

DBS Bank has partnered up with P2P lending platforms to expand funding sources to small businesses
Retailer of Apple products, EpiCentre, is the first company to have raised $1 million in 26 hours on MoolahSense. Check this article to find out about more mainstream companies turning to crowdfunding platforms
The retailer of Apple products rolled out two fund-raising campaigns on MoolahSense on March 14, raising a combined $1 million in 26 hours for stock inventory purchases. It launched a third campaign three days later for $500,000, which was fully funded in about a week. MoolahSense chief executive Lawrence Yong said EpiCentre is the first listed company to have raised funds on the crowdfunding platform. “Sometimes, in business, you don’t have time to wait – if the opportunity is there, you have to grab it. So it’s important that companies have this quick, flexible access to capital, which can give them a competitive edge.” He also noted that P2P lending allows companies to diversify their sources of funding in a way that involves less time and money compared with issuing bonds or filing for an initial public offering.

When a reputable person goes to borrow money from a loanshark, it does not mean the loanshark is a reputable money lender. It meant that the reputable person is in trouble and desperate to get money anyway possible.

When a reputable company goes to rise fund through crowdfunding, it does not mean that crowdfunding is a good source of investment. It meant that the reputable company is in trouble and desperate to get money anyway possible.

A report that is written by a crowdfunding company would definitely twist this into a positive spin for themselves.

Yellowfin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Whenever some company say there is no chance of defaulting...........I run far far away.

But if your investment is to grow other people wealth instead of yours please go ahead.:)

kehyi4

Reaction score
Straits Times: Investors cry foul over builder's crowdfunding

PUBLISHED JUN 11, 2016, 5:00 AM SGT
by Lee Xin En

A construction firm that claimed it was launching a crowdfunding effort has apparently not paid some of the investors the promised returns.

At least three investors have reported putting in between $50,000 and $100,000 each in the investment scheme, purportedly to help Soilwood finance projects.

Soilwood had claimed that banks were offering insufficient credit.

The firm is not related to the listed firm Soilbuild Group.

Soilwood, which records a Mr Daniel Leong as its director, claimed that it employed 90 staff and had completed projects, including Wisma Atria, Temasek Polytechnic and Paya Lebar MRT station.

One investor, who wanted to be known only as Mr Chan, told The Straits Times he was approached by a friend who worked for Noble Consulting Group, the company that marketed the scheme to investors.

Mr Chan, an engineer, said he attended an investment presentation, given by Noble Consulting Group director Nancy Tan to a room of about 20 people at a hotel in March 2014.

Going by documents he showed The Straits Times, investors could put in a minimum sum of $25,000 for a term of 18 months to receive a return of 4 per cent quarterly. They would receive their principal sums after 18 months.

Investors would receive a 5 per cent return for a $50,000 investment and a 6 per cent return if at least $100,000 was invested.

An investor putting in $50,000 could receive $2,500 a quarter, totalling $10,000 a year.

"I was convinced because it was a friend who introduced me to the project. I saw that there were ongoing, real projects and the payout was attractive," said Mr Chan, who invested $100,000 in September 2014.

He added: "The company said it had cashflow problems, so I thought 18 months seemed like a reasonable amount of time for them to deal with the problem."

He received three payouts totalling $7,500 from December 2014, but did not receive his payout in September last year.

He reported the case to the police that month.

A police spokesman said it was inappropriate to comment as investigations are ongoing.

Noble Consulting Group's Ms Tan declined comment when contacted by The Straits Times.The company said in an e-mail reply two weeks ago that it has made a police report and has been advised not to speak to the media.

Crowdfunding has grown in popularity in recent years, mainly fuelled by traditional lending sources tightening their criteria for borrowers since the global financial crisis.

Mr Seah Seng Choon, executive director of the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case), said it has received complaints from two investors who failed to receive their payouts in the Soilwood scheme.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said Soilwood and Noble Consulting Group are not licensed or regulated by the authorities.

On Wednesday, MAS set a new licensing regime for crowdfunding platforms, ruling that those which deal with debt and equity have to obtain a licence.

This means that firms and platforms which allow retail investors to contribute towards raising loans for small and medium-sized enterprises, and receive interest payments in return, must apply for a capital markets services licence. As they deal with retail investors, they must set aside a capital base of $500,000.

Case said investment matters do not come under its purview.

Mr Seah said: "In general, investors ought to be very careful and check on the legitimacy of such investment schemes and the relevant laws involved to seek redress, rather than just focusing on the potential returns."

Investors in crowdfunding schemes who wish to tell their story can contact Straits Times journalist Ms Lee Xin En at xinen@sph.com.sg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.