Should I semiretire in JB now?

iCuteCube

Master Member
Reaction score
Well, I probably can see from TS pov. I have friends whom are doctor and some of their closed ones are having certain issues and such.

But we need to consider the fact that TS is in what position, if she mentioned anything probably will affect relationships which she probably wouldn't want that to happen.

Coming back to the question, points to note:

1) As many people had mentioned, rental income is unstable, therefore if calculating rental income into your monthly income, i suggest you take 60% of it.

2) As you calculated how much money you can get monthly, you need to factor in FX risk for SG>MYR, although now is 3 and we see the trending is still there, we need to consider this is still a risk, and you can mitigate the risk by having more reserve of SGD $$$.

3) Since your primary focus is have more time with your family, if you can come to a number of money you have in the bank + your rental income + your ad-hoc part time doc salary, you could better gauge when you can really semi-retire in JB with ease.

4) Optional - But since you have property in SG, probably more expensive, but many things is much easier, considering security and such.

Cheers.

trailblaze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hubby leechin still can consider semi retirement?
Way too risky...sure u can sell yr terrace but why kill the golden goose so early

isthatall

Reaction score
Don't think she's killing the career golden goose. She's got young kids and time spent with them is equally or even more important. Once these golden ages have gone, it'll be hard to strike a bond with them.

Kissmequick

Reaction score
I suggest not to semi retire. Go for FULL retirement, it is more meaningful and you and your loved ones can enjoy all the time together. To meet all your present and future living costs, sell all your SG assets and convrt to MYR and place the funds into an FD yielding 4 pct. Imagine total deposits of RM 15 million gives to RM 50,000 per month. Isnt that cool?

Go for it, no need to keep thinking about it and unnecessary worries. You can do it:s12:

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
I suggest not to semi retire. Go for FULL retirement, it is more meaningful and you and your loved ones can enjoy all the time together. To meet all your present and future living costs, sell all your SG assets and convrt to MYR and place the funds into an FD yielding 4 pct. Imagine total deposits of RM 15 million gives to RM 50,000 per month. Isnt that cool?

Go for it, no need to keep thinking about it and unnecessary worries. You can do it:s12:

I am not so rich...can only get 3mil rm after selling Sg assets as I have mortgages.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
TS, You are a doctor. Is your hubby suffering from depression ? Depressed people can't hold on to job for long. Lower living expenses in JB maybe cancel out with children's international school fee.

I do not think he is in major depression as he sleeps well every night though mood might be a bit down.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Hubby leechin still can consider semi retirement?
Way too risky...sure u can sell yr terrace but why kill the golden goose so early

Yeah I think selling terrace now might be too early too but we need to plan now what to do as hubby 's savings for mortgages can only last for another 5 years.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do a projection based on your savings, assets and expected income and expenditures till you are at least 85.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Do a projection based on your savings, assets and expected income and expenditures till you are at least 85.

Yes , I did that and estimated about S$5k per month for living expenses after paying for international school fees and taxes and maintenance and mortgages if I semi retire now and work only 2 mornings a week for 10 years and if I sell my terrace in 10 years to finance kids overseas education and then retire. Think that should be enough right?

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Trying to retire with 3 mouths to feed is just bad idea. Especially with 2 young school-going kids, there are always a lot of unexpected expenses from kids

depends on your quality of living loh..
my wife was the eldest of 3 kids in a family living off ringgit $1-2k in malaysia last time..
but in the end.. they manage to grow up ..get an education.. and pay off the cheap landed in malaysia.

but i agree..if you choose to live in singapore... you die... co.ck... stand..

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
my wife was the eldest of 3 kids in a family living off ringgit $1-2k in malaysia last time..
but in the end.. they manage to grow up ..get an education.. and pay off the cheap landed in malaysia.

Thanks for sharing about your spouse....reassuring to know that we can survive on so little in Malaysia...one site says costs of living there is 66% cheaper than in Sg...that is partly why I choose there...

highsulphur

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You should qualify when is "last time "

aoptionwriter

Reaction score
Life after retirement is not just about eat, drink, pang sai and repeat again. It is about having a fulfilling and meaningful life for ourself, our family and the society. We don't just survive but have a value. So, please spare a thought about this and not just dollar and cent.

Sent from Neptune with cable using GAGT

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Life after retirement is not just about eat, drink, pang sai and repeat again. It is about having a fulfilling and meaningful life for ourself, our family and the society. We don't just survive but have a value. So, please spare a thought about this and not just dollar and cent.

Sent from Neptune with cable using GAGT

Likely I will semiretire so I will still be working. If too free, can do volunteer work and hubby may explore doing business there so will not really be idle...anyway, hope to spend more time with kids and help them in their homework too.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes , I did that and estimated about S$5k per month for living expenses after paying for international school fees and taxes and maintenance and mortgages if I semi retire now and work only 2 mornings a week for 10 years and if I sell my terrace in 10 years to finance kids overseas education and then retire. Think that should be enough right?

but ur husband is like a ticking time bomb.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have properties to rent out to get S$4000 passive income. After deduction of taxesandmaintenance and JB condo rental and kids international school fees , maybe S$2000left which I can supplement by working maybe 2 mornings a week in Sg as a locum GP. Can get another maybe S$3000 and S$5000 should be enough for a family of 4 to get by in JB....get to work less and spend more time with kids...only thing is their education will be more convenient in JB....tempted to semiretire now...what do u guys think?

So you question is whether S$2k plus $3k to $5k enough to semi-retire in JB in the mean time. That depends on your lifestyle. But once children become independent, the sum should be comfortable enough for two for old age.

dork32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stay in malaysia risky la, later house kena break in or what then jia lat.

Sent from sent from gagt using GAGT

yeah, like the policeman there, got no money, break into the terrace house to rob, then kill the father and son, then make a breakaway with the father's car. then quickly run here. gong gong eat supper at a popular nightspot and get caught by our police.
it just shows how good our corrupted police are and how lousy theirs is.
wait, which country are we talking about

starfish.starfish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Likely I will semiretire so I will still be working. If too free, can do volunteer work and hubby may explore doing business there so will not really be idle...anyway, hope to spend more time with kids and help them in their homework too.

Erm, business need seeding capital to start, just have to watch out for that..:s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.