Should I semiretire in JB now?

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
What's there to enjoy at jb?

Plenty...good and cheap food, cheap massages, theme Parks galore like I have a water and adventure theme park right outside my estate, going to Puteri Harbour is nice too,maybe can rent boats for a cruise and can always explore Malaysia in a cheap car...can enjoy cheap healthcare too. Did u know the most expensive bed in Gleneagles Medini is rm600 but S$6000 in Gleneagles Sg?

highsulphur

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask yourself, if you are your kid, would you want to move to jb so that your parents can save a bit more. Life is not all about money.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Ask yourself, if you are your kid, would you want to move to jb so that your parents can save a bit more. Life is not all about money.

I think Sg education is too stressful and perhaps international school will be more broad based and enjoyable and anyway, planning to send them to overseas Uni in future if cannot get into NUS. Many people actually migrate cause they find education in Sg too stressful. Hear of young kids having mental stress and suicidal because of grades and tuition teacher told me they teach 2 levels ahead!!

kage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he quite good life as we have a maid...I joke that he retired after marrying me...

Ur husband good life, you go work earn money, he at home happy happy with maid ...

Ur husband jiu hu kia ... must be ... :)

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Ur husband good life, you go work earn money, he at home happy happy with maid ...

Ur husband jiu hu kia ... must be ... :)

I trust my Husband and know he is not that sort. Anyway the maids I choose r all married with kids and Christian so I trust them too. He is singaporean not Malaysian...

kage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I trust my Husband and know he is not that sort. Anyway the maids I choose r all married with kids and Christian so I trust them too. He is singaporean not Malaysian...

Wah can't believe u are a mother and a professional ...
So naive ... must be trolling

Well anyway lets troll along, I also support ur decision to live the life ...

acetylcholine

Master Member
Reaction score
I think Sg education is too stressful and perhaps international school will be more broad based and enjoyable and anyway, planning to send them to overseas Uni in future if cannot get into NUS. Many people actually migrate cause they find education in Sg too stressful. Hear of young kids having mental stress and suicidal because of grades and tuition teacher told me they teach 2 levels ahead!!

Not everything is about dollars and cents. On paper, everything will definitely look good. After all, the grass is always greener on the other side. I suggest moving over to try out for a couple of years and see whether everything works according to plan (and within your expectations). Keep a significant portion of your money in SGD in case it doesn't work out. No point chasing the high interest rates up North and having to lose everything if you choose to give up on your retirement plan and return to Singapore.

As regards the education system in Singapore, I think it's difficult to please everyone. Not every international school is decent - you have to do your research. Your kids may find education in an international school more enjoyable and less stressful. But it doesn't necessarily mean that they are getting a better education. It's really what you want in life. Speaking for myself, I am definitely going to put my kids through the local education system. About school being stressful, try looking at other Asian countries, such as Taiwan, Hong Kong and Korea etc. No point sheltering kids in a protected environment when they have to compete globally (or at the very least, regionally) when they grow up. Those who studied overseas (or studied alongside our foreign imports) will get what I mean. As a doctor, I am sure you are able to appreciate how stress can also have a positive effect, if managed properly. Just my two cents. ;)

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Not everything is about dollars and cents. On paper, everything will definitely look good. After all, the grass is always greener on the other side. I suggest moving over to try out for a couple of years and see whether everything works according to plan (and within your expectations). Keep a significant portion of your money in SGD in case it doesn't work out. No point chasing the high interest rates up North and having to lose everything if you choose to give up on your retirement plan and return to Singapore.

As regards the education system in Singapore, I think it's difficult to please everyone. Not every international school is decent - you have to do your research. Your kids may find education in an international school more enjoyable and less stressful. But it doesn't necessarily mean that they are getting a better education. It's really what you want in life. Speaking for myself, I am definitely going to put my kids through the local education system. About school being stressful, try looking at other Asian countries, such as Taiwan, Hong Kong and Korea etc. No point sheltering kids in a protected environment when they have to compete globally (or at the very least, regionally) when they grow up. Those who studied overseas (or studied alongside our foreign imports) will get what I mean. As a doctor, I am sure you are able to appreciate how stress can also have a positive effect, if managed properly. Just my two cents. ;)

I have suffered the effects of too much stress before and do not wish the same on my kids that is why concerned if Sg education might be too stressful for them... But it is a major decision that is why I would like more views...
Alternatively, we could sell all properties and buy a BTO which we can qualify for if I worked less and put S$1 mil in an annuity that can hopefully pay S$5000 till 1 am 90 years old according to an online calculator. Then, I can also retire or semiretire in Singapore.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

But the reality is many don't even trust god. You trust CH, a pastor?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jin scary. No point things cheap cheap but not safe..everyday worry safety :(

Any other country safe and cheaper than SG? I want to go.

What's so scary? That's nothing compared to a country I stayed where shooting was a daily affair. Yet I used to go out till late at nite.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
What's so scary? That's nothing compared to a country I stayed where shooting was a daily affair. Yet I used to go out till late at nite.

Sometimes when things haven't happen to you, you won't feel the heat.

My malaysian colleagues' home got break into a few times already.
The scary part is whether they will harm you.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have suffered the effects of too much stress before and do not wish the same on my kids that is why concerned if Sg education might be too stressful for them... But it is a major decision that is why I would like more views...
Alternatively, we could sell all properties and buy a BTO which we can qualify for if I worked less and put S$1 mil in an annuity that can hopefully pay S$5000 till 1 am 90 years old according to an online calculator. Then, I can also retire or semiretire in Singapore.

if u are worried for ur kids shouldn't u work harder now than thinking of retiring ?

this way ur kids at least have u to fall back on in case of anything. but of course, let them be independent etc and earn their keep first, only when they really need help then help them

dork32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never heard of that in my estate which has been around for 10 years..

it is the guards that can monitor daily movement of the people. They know when you are in and when you are not. they arrange for robbers to come in when you are not around.

What do you think the salary of a security guard in malaysia? if the highway patrol police need to take bribes to supplement their salary, do you think the guards can survive just on their salary alone?

i do have properties in malaysia as well. my home have not been robbed so far. these are some of the stories that i hear from the neighbours and relatives.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:eek: u win lor. u lucky to be alive and talking here =:p

Ya live to tell some tales. But it was an eye opener staying there and I quiet enjoyed myself during that 10 months.

One early morning when it was still dark when I was supposed to return to Sg for a break with a flight at 11am there was sound of gun shots everywhere and the sky was sparkled with the shootings. I thought to myself WTF I was going back and a fight, if not war, had to happened. With only my shorts on, I went up to the roof terrace of the mansion that I stayed to observe and did not find any fighting around. Then I went down to the gate to ask the guard and he said it was their way of celebrating new year. Even if there was a fight, no worry. The guard house behind the mansion got machine guns, grenades, sand bags and rocket launchers etc.

Last edited:

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Ya live to tell some tales. But it was an eye opener staying there and I quiet enjoyed myself during that 10 months.

One early morning when it was still dark when I was supposed to return to Sg for a break with a flight at 11am there was sound of gun shots everywhere and the sky was sparkled with the shootings. I thought to myself WTF I was going back and a fight, if not war, had to happened. With only my shorts on, I went up to the roof terrace of the mansion that I stayed and did not find any fighting around. Then I went down to the gate to ask the guard and he said it was their way of celebrating new year. Even if there was a fight, no worry. The guard house behind the mansion got machine guns, grenades, sand bags and rocket launchers etc.

Where is this place?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where is oh?

It's internet country code - kh not oh. A country where an ang mo related in his journal that he was robbed 3x in one unlucky day. A country where mad people could start shooting or loop hand grenade into the middle of crowded dancing halls just because of dispute. A place where I experienced 6 road blocks in one nite.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.