HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singapore median monthly household income last year was S$9,023

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #46

Why cost so much?
When I was overseas, I can see that because raw food from supermart so cheap, also electricity and water super cheap, the people there spent just $1 on home cooked food that they bring for lunch, and pay $0 to cycle to work!
Which country?
Toni90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #47

Confirm wages in Singapore never kept in pace with cost of living.

Just came back from USA and I compare the average prices for fast casual dining. Almost the same if not US$1-3 more expensive than Singapore only. The difference is their F&B wages are marginally higher than Singapore.
Which part of USA? USA very big loh. Many places much poorer than Singapore.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #48

UK, Holland,

E.g. in UK, the medicine you buy in Pharmacy is less than half of that in Singapore!

Electricity and water bills in UK is like 1/3 to 1/2 of that in Singapore.
Milk is half price, bread is cheaper, potato even cheaper than Singapore.

Which country?

Last edited by ervino; 09-02-2018 at 09:27 PM..
ervino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #49
Arch-Supremacy Member

The key is affordability.

If 70% can afford it, means ke yi.

30% who struggle can be subsidized.

Gahmen knows gdp flowing and distributed to majority, so they can afford it. That includes houses, transport and necessities.
mikezuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #50

Really? If so why don't everybody just go govt hospital and poly to buy and let NTUC Unity Pharmacy and Guardian close down? There is a catch or condition like must have prescription from the respective hospital or poly doctors right? So you must pay consultation fees? Then end up more expensive than self medication by buying from NTUC Unity Pharmacy!

It's true that medicine in Guardian, Watson, Unity, cost a bomb here. Just look at the cost of Panadol. Even the generic Paracetamol is more expensive than overseas.

But if you go to govt hospital and poly, the medicine is really cheap..
ervino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #51

UK, Holland,

E.g. in UK, the medicine you buy in Pharmacy is less than half of that in Singapore!

Bull sh*t. I simple google check can see electricity in UK same price as in Singapore. Where got 1/2 one. U compare price in UK 20 year ago with the price in Singapore now, dont you?

How u cook a meal in UK for $1? Show me.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #52

Err.

You don't even get to see the doctor. I was in London for 3 years. Fell really sick one day. Went to clinic on Friday, was told the doctor was fully packed and asked if they can schedule me to see the doctor on Tuesday the following week.

You want this kind of treatment?

UK, Holland,

veryhappyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #53

UK, Holland,

True that in medicine in Singapore expensive. U can go JB buy one. 1/4 of the price in Singapore.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #54

Is can one.... I was a poor poor student. My meal consist of Jasmine white rice (usually 1 pound per kg)... then generic cucumber (usually use 1/4), 2 eggs (20 pence) and soy sauce.

Include condiments maybe around 70 pence. But I was really poor and this is like... hais. Not even real food. Plus I eat really little.

Either that or oats (super cheap there) and milk for dinner. Add one banana. Maybe... 80 pence too?

Bull sh*t. I simple google check can see electricity in UK same price as in Singapore. Where got 1/2 one. U compare price in UK 20 year ago with the price in Singapore now, dont you?

How u cook a meal in UK for $1? Show me.
veryhappyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #55
Honorary Member

I bet majority below that amount
mrclubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #56
Supremacy Member

UK, Holland,

bread, milk, potato cheap, but eating out in UK a lot more expensive than Singapore...

Of course if you like to drink, its not just the prices but the range of wines available that makes UK better than SG.

But services like plumber, electrician, movers, really super expensive probably because of minimum wage. Petrol is also super expensive in UK.

Property, if you are prepared to stay outside of London, definitely more affordable.
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #57
High Supremacy Member

Lol at food at $1.

No matter how cheap also can't be so cheap.

Sent from . using GAGT
crimsontactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #58

Really? If so why don't everybody just go govt hospital and poly to buy and let NTUC Unity Pharmacy and Guardian close down? There is a catch or condition like must have prescription from the respective hospital or poly doctors right? So you must pay consultation fees? Then end up more expensive than self medication by buying from NTUC Unity Pharmacy!
Exactly. You cant go there buy medicine. Got to queue for hours for poly. For public hospital if not emergency got to queue for months.
Soul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #59

Basic necessities, like rice. Eggs. Bread. Milk, chicken. If you choose the cheapest brands can be very cheap. Even cheaper than developing countries. Vegetables, fruits are expensive.
I read on the paper, the poor eldery eat only rice and preserved vegetables, because thats what they can afford.
Soul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #60
High Supremacy Member

Basic necessities, like rice. Eggs. Bread. Milk, chicken. If you choose the cheapest brands can be very cheap. Even cheaper than developing countries. Vegetables, fruits are expensive.
I read on the paper, the poor eldery eat only rice and preserved vegetables, because thats what they can afford.
Sure boh?

Cheaper than SG I believe, but cheaper than developing countries a little too much lol.

I go US, Europe and Australia also never find so cheap stuff.

Sent from . using GAGT
crimsontactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.