HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singapore median monthly household income last year was S$9,023

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #61
Supremacy Member

Something that most Singaporeans do not to get: in countries with an agricultural sector, you buy food according to seasons. You eat much cheaper that way.

Faibo waipaaa!
Maeda_Toshiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #62

Really?

Ok, let me google and check water price now:

UK: GBP1.288 per cubic metre = S$(1.288*1.83) = S$2.35 per cubic metre.
Source: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/househ...tandard-rates/

Singapore: From 2018 will be S$3.69 per cubic metre.
Source: https://www.pub.gov.sg/PublishingImages/2_dom.jpg

So, Singapore is 57% more expensive than UK!

Looks like you like to cherry pick?

Bull sh*t. I simple google check can see electricity in UK same price as in Singapore. Where got 1/2 one. U compare price in UK 20 year ago with the price in Singapore now, dont you?

How u cook a meal in UK for $1? Show me.
UK, Holland,

E.g. in UK, the medicine you buy in Pharmacy is less than half of that in Singapore!

Electricity and water bills in UK is like 1/3 to 1/2 of that in Singapore.
Milk is half price, bread is cheaper, potato even cheaper than Singapore.
ervino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:51 PM   #63

And why you didn't ask, why even in UK the medicine price is so much cheaper than Singapore?

And why JB 1/4 the price in Singapore?

Who is profiteering? Why NTUC Unity Pharmacy and Guardian etc can profit so much?

True that in medicine in Singapore expensive. U can go JB buy one. 1/4 of the price in Singapore.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:25 AM   #64

Cars in Singapore are the most expensive .

Yet Mercedes & BMW are among the top sellers.
Mergui219067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #65
Arch-Supremacy Member

Among households headed by a Singapore citizen or permanent resident which had at least one working person, the median monthly income grew 2 per cent in nominal terms to S$9,023 last year, from S$8,846 in 2016.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...uality-9939710
is true..all sinkie doing very gd except me..
Aaron_soh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #66

Because Sinkies melt in midday sun.
Those who enjoy free outdoor activities would
do so. Many do not venture & only complain
the life here is boring .

Other city dwellers also need to drive out / fly out like we drive / fly out to Port Dickson /Phuket or Bali easily. Whole Singapore is like
a city size in others .

Unlike Singaporeans' favourite pastime is to become mallrats.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:50 AM   #67
Arch-Supremacy Member

U stayed oversea before?
Not for long periods, I was headhunted by a company in USA and my ex colleague is working there now. The salary is easily double of what I am currently getting locally. That's why I tell you salary level is crappy here.

Most things are cheaper there except for eating out and servicing stuffs so you better learn to DIY to fix your own stuffs and eat at home.

If I am single then I would probably have left this country and migrated overseas already.
hwmook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #68

The salaries in US are generally about 20-30% higher Singapore's after currency conversion and before income tax (which is very high in US). Hence nett off is about the same. However, houses and cars are much cheaper in US so reducing these two big ticket items really help to save a lot.

Reference on US salaries: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm
Mr.Canberra likes this.
andyhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #69

It is good to take a look at the debt situation too, which is worsening.

Average Household Debt in Singapore 2017

"While household debt has been growing at an alarming rate since 2009, trends have been more or less stabilizing since 2015. Part of this is due to weak economy which is creating less opportunities for consumers to invest into (i.e. homes or small businesses). What’s also a legitimate cause for concern is that, despite stabilization of overall debt growth, consumers are growing increasingly reliant on alternative source of financing like personal loans, which typically come at relatively high interest rates. This could signal that household income growth is not sufficient to fund increasing cost of living in the country.

On the other hand, the situation in Singapore does not seem so bad when seen side to side with other countries. Below, we show household debt per capita, household leverage (asset/equity), and household debt as a % of GDP for Singapore, Korea and the US. As you can see, Singapore household’s indebtedness is more or less in line with the other two countries. However, it is important to note that both Korea and the US have also been experiencing lagging consumer income growth & increasing reliance on debt. These are certainly worrying signs for the economy."

https://www.valuepenguin.sg/average-...debt-singapore
andyhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #70

Staying in / parking in comparable US cities area like Singapore cheaper ?
We know alcohol, local food ,cigarettes & cars are cheaper .

Being not shot / mugged is a big Singapore bonus

The salaries in US are generally about 20-30% higher Singapore's after currency conversion and before income tax (which is very high in US). Hence nett off is about the same. However, houses and cars are much cheaper in US so reducing these two big ticket items really help to save a lot.

Reference on US salaries: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm
Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #71

This is also a big issue for many families.
So $ is not everything.

If I am single then I would probably have left this country and migrated overseas already.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #72
Arch-Supremacy Member

Really?

Ok, let me google and check water price now:

UK: GBP1.288 per cubic metre = S$(1.288*1.83) = S$2.35 per cubic metre.
Source: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/househ...tandard-rates/

Singapore: From 2018 will be S$3.69 per cubic metre.
Source: https://www.pub.gov.sg/PublishingImages/2_dom.jpg

So, Singapore is 57% more expensive than UK!

Looks like you like to cherry pick?
why exclude Sewerage services from UK calculation but include that into Singapore calculation? 1.288 i supposed is from water supply only?

also the price on UK site is charged by per cubic metre, the more you use the more you pay. so in that case we should take 0-40m3 rate from Singapore to do a compare

Last edited by FT PRIDE; 10-02-2018 at 10:13 AM..
FT PRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #73

Which country in your mind has shown they are improving compared with the past ?

May be because you missed out the cheaper property buy 10-20 years ago ?

Compare to the past, are we improving?

And yes, no matter wanna take out simi to compare, we are one of the most expensive cities.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #74

Which country in your mind has shown they are improving compared with the past ?
This is actually a good point. Which country with the same economic standing as us has managed to increase real wages every year?

Of course, there's always room for improvement. But it's not really as bad as how many people are making it out to be.
lupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #75

1) Why you claim that I included Sewerage services in Singapore when I didn't? Singapore has additional refuse removal fee per month which I have not included here! This includes the "Sewerage services" that you mentioned right?

2) Good point, so it depends on your household usage. Even if 0-40m3 rate Singapore is still more expensive than UK!

3) Anyway, even based on basic necessities like bread, milk, basic medicine etc, Singapore has been ranked top 5 world's costliest cities and this can't be a lie right?

4) Why costs of living so high in Singapore? There are some interesting conclusions from here:
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-cos...h-in-Singapore

Anonymous
Answered May 19, 2016

1. Singapore is land scarce.
This reason alone makes real estate much more expensive than its neighbours such as Malaysia and Indonesia.

2. Usage of CPF in property purchase.
This gives Singaporeans much higher buying power than before, at the expense of their retirement savings. This drive up the price of properties.

3. Usage of Medisave in healthcare.
With a significant portion of income locked in the Medisave, it gives Singaporeans much higher spending power in their healthcare expenses. This drive up healthcare costs, despite the Government claiming that many expenses were subsidized.

4. The introduction of ERP and COE.
They drive up the transport cost. All these costs will be passed on to consumers
, if any of the goods and services that they consume require any form of transport.

5. Government-linked companies dominating various sectors.
These companies are often public listed, profit-driven and provide essential services such as transport (e.g. SMRT) and telecommunication (e.g. Singtel). The rental property market is also dominated by Government-linked REITS, which are also public listed and profit driven. All these translate into high cost of living for ordinary folks in Singapore.

6. Immigration policy driving up property prices.
In the past, one can simply park their money in Singapore properties and they will be given a Permanent Resident status. These days, they cannot do that but have to invest in a proper job-creating business over a period of time before their PR status is approved. But the damage has already been done and property prices have already gone way too high.

7. Immigration policy depressing wages.
Generally, hiring foreign workers is cheaper. It has depressed wages and caused some Singaporeans to lose their jobs. Again, this is being rectified and there are now stricter salary requirements for hiring foreigners. Still, damage has already been done and some employers may work around the requirements by (illegally) asking their workers to return part of the salary. Therefore wages may still be depressed to a certain extent.

8. Government controlling the HDB flat prices.
A new HDB unit used to cost 20,000 SGD to build in the 1980s. When we factor in inflation, it probably cost 40,000 SGD these days. However, new BTO flats these days are sold at well over 200,000 SGD. In some places, they may even cost over 400,000 SGD.

9. Government controlling land prices.
In the Government Land Sales programme, there were times when the bidding prices of developers were not up to the expectation of the Government and the land was not awarded to any of the bidder. It is very clear that the Government is controlling the prices of real estate very tightly.

10. GST.
Before 2003, GST was 3%. From 2007 onwards, GST became 7%. It affects all our daily necessities. On the hand, the purchase precious metals are exempted from GST, which does not benefit the lower income group very much.

why exclude Sewerage services from UK calculation but include that into Singapore calculation? 1.288 i supposed is from water supply only?

also the price on UK site is charged by per cubic metre, the more you use the more you pay. so in that case we should take 0-40m3 rate from Singapore to do a compare

Last edited by ervino; 10-02-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.