Views on freehold geylang area property

Meister13

Reaction score
Thinking of buying one for rental yield, but rental yield I damn cui. So want to ask since its freehold near Geylang area, got capital gain in future? What are your views

computers70

Reaction score
From what I understand, getting a bank loan for your property will be an uphill task, as the bank will have issues liquidating the property in the future.
There are always foreign workers dorm and SME market for rental yield.

tivo88

Reaction score
Thinking of buying one for rental yield, but rental yield I damn cui. So want to ask since its freehold near Geylang area, got capital gain in future? What are your views

Prices are on the high side at the moment.

1200-1400 psf for new projects for investment

Maintenance also not cheap $250-$350 a month.

I suggest u get a 1BR or 2BR if u got the spare cash, Maybank, Hong Leong, RHB still able to get loan if you can down the required minimum.

With the forecast rebonding in the course next 10 years it will appreciate in value. For a 5 year plan it will not devalue since government putting in the money to beef up value this area with some good shopping centres and also private housing in the area.

Do this if u have the spare cash due to rental options there many empty units.

koja6049

Master Member
Reaction score
capital gains is sure have, but those kind sales volume very low, so it may be hard to liquidate.

antonpoh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I guess you don't have a good property agent searching this for you. Other areas still have some freehold 2 bedder selling below 1200psf. Those already TOP aro 2010-2014, still quite new. So don't need to buy geylang.

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Geylang

The real gems are those old freehold apartments/condos built in the 1990s if you can find or have good agent. Lor 4 - 22 have been rezoned to commercial usage just 1 year or so ago. Maximum units 1300 once newer ones are completed.

Geylang-Rezoning-URA-Plan.jpg

This Geylang area is for long term play (>10 years) and if you have holding power. Scarcity and freehold is the name of the game. For flipping I think you are better off playing stocks.

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is not true to calculate this way. Most freehold properties are in 20 years and above. The only way to hope for much appreciation is wait for group sales and redevelopment. So you have to watch the polt ration and chances of enbloc. Otherwise you end up paying a lot to up keep old properties.

So if you happen to consider one. Check the MCST state of health as this will give you some indication if the estate is capable to self maintain with the MA fund collected.

Also one important note. Find out these from th residents there, and not those estate agent.

Last edited:

padfo0t

Reaction score
tbh, I think Sg property market is not worth the risk as the reward is not well proportion.
this is because, property prices in Sg has been up for 6 years continuously.
not saying that this won't continue, but if you ask me, the odds of it correcting itself before continuously going up is higher than it continuously going up.

and there will be a huge supply of resale EC during 2018 Q3, as the supply from back then are turning 5 years old.
with this, the question to ask is; is our current population a increasing population or aging population.

i understand that government have not remove the cooling measures.
personally, I believe that the only time when government will do that is during recession or when housing prices have dipped low enough for banks to lose money.

this is my personal opinion. hope to hear from others what different perspective you all have.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.