Dell U2312HM

Zephyrus

Reaction score
Hello fellow forumers, is there a mini review done around here for this model yet?
Mine just arrived today, if there is any interest I don't mind spend a few minutes do up a short review beside the U2311H for those interested.

sgstab

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
309 no discount, sian, today just chatted with a Dell guy.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
wait for coupon code lorr :( currently the ultrasharp series 24 & 27inch have coupon on the website

Zephyrus

Reaction score
Alright guys, sorry for the wait, I'm currently quite busy and apologies for the rushed job. Paiseh if image too big, I resize liao but still quite big, net seems abit laggy, so quite hard to resize all the pics again thru photobucket.

I'll start off with the the external design of the display:

As you can see the bezel is no longer squarish like the old 2311 design, and the buttons 'pop' out instead of being flushed. However can't really see it as its quite black (except for the pic cos of the camera)
3.jpg

U2311H beside U2312HM
4.jpg

The base of the stand is smaller as the back is rounded instead of the rectangular shape from the previous model
1.jpg

From the side you can see the stand is curvey instead of the straight one from the 2311H
8.jpg

Menu is pretty similar but this one tells you how much energy you are using, lower the brightness for example, and you will see the indicator drop lower
9.jpg

Last edited:

Zephyrus

Reaction score
Ports at the back of the monitor
6.jpg

Standard ports + DisplayPort connection
5.jpg

Side USB same as previous too. Notice the side is silver instead of black
7.jpg

Zephyrus

Reaction score
Backlight bleed of U2311H
10.jpg

Backlight bleed of U2312HM
11.jpg

As you can see, its almost the same as U2311H, but the bleed is brighter, the one on the U2311H looks abit reddish blackish while the U2312H looks abit whitish and yellowish to the eye. Another pic later to show that example in game

Zephyrus

Reaction score
The fancy color things, both of them look identical in this aspect, everything looks uniform

14.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Zephyrus

Reaction score
Everything looks gd so far, but THEN, this

Metro 2033. As can be seen, the top right corner is affected by the bleeding quite alot, in fact im quite distracted :mad:!
15.jpg

But in SC2 not obvious, neither is it obvious during normal use when background is bright
IMG_8882.jpg

Conclusion: Let me share with you guys what's been on my mind when I place the 2 monitors side by side.
Pros:
I don't really know what pros there are,
color reproduction almost the same (of cos both looks better than my Samsung TN Panel at the back)
lighter? (not too important to me, though might be for others)
Cons:
kanna the super distracting backlight bleed is quite a big turnoff (Unless dell willing to replace) However, when I first got the U2311H i had the exact same issue with the backlight bleed, but i no longer notice it (did it warm up and get better or did i get used to it?) nonetheless, the bleed is whiter and is damn obvious compared to the U2311H which i totally cant see nowadays.
However it may just be problematic on my particular set hence wudnt wanna say its a flawed product
Price tag higher than previous model but nothing really justifies the price difference (i dont care what technology is inside but as a user i expect observable differences to know where my money went)

The end!

Cheers everyone, hope it helped u decide on the product

Edit: The backlight bleeding issues have resolved over time and are currently no longer bothering me.

Last edited:

cridae

Reaction score
nice review Zephyrus! I took the plunge and got this monitor 2 days ago. Luckily, mine have no issue in BLB, very minimal, hardly noticeable at all!

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hooted one too. Stardusz hooted 2, and her friends hooted too! :eek:

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Up for a good monitor! Guess this thread will grow in future as U2311H/M has already been discontinued.

Here's a review with a good calibration settings to follow. Personally the white is much better with his settings.

Picture quality on Dell U2312HM

Out-of-box picture quality on Dell U2312HM is measured below in the Standard picture preset with Eco settings deactivated.

The graph says this:

The number on the left is the delta value. Delta is a difference between two factors; here it’s the difference between the measured color on the panel and the actual color that is our target.

A delta value lower that 2 results in a visible deviation from the actual color.
A delta value over 4 or 5 results in wrong colors.
A delta value between 1 and 2 results in precise but not perfect colors.
A delta value lower than one results in almost perfect colors. The target is 0.
Everything between 0 and 1 is barely visible to the human eye.

The out-of-box color settings are surprisingly accurate for a monitor in this price range. Color deviations are low, but gamma is also slightly too low in the dark end of the scale, meaning that dark colors are not reproduced perfectly. We aim for 2.2 gamma.

Color temperature is slightly too low compared to our 6500 Kelvin target. Brightness is too high and was measured at 193 cd/m2. But all in all a pretty accurate Standard picture preset on U2312HM.

Dell U2312HM has no pre-calibrated sRGB picture preset like the more expensive pre-calibrated U2410 model that is still sold as a step-up model from these cheaper eIPS monitors. Therefore I also moved straight to calibration. Here’s my result.

After calibration I managed to improve gamma accuracy, which also ensures more accurate color reproduction. This was no hard task and it was a problem with the contrast setting that was a bit too high.

I also managed to get the monitor close to 6500 kelvin. All in all a good result and after calibration U2312HM matches more expensive IPS based monitors. We never reached a 100 % perfect gamma in the low end, however.

My calibrated settings are.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/ikon_kalibreret.jpg

Picture preset:
Custom Color
Brightness
Contrast
66 Sharpness: 50
Gamma PC
Aspect ratio:
Wide 16:9
R 97
G
B

I have lowered the contrast setting to reach a more accurate gamma curve. I have also lowered the brightness setting and changed the RGB (red, green, blue) settings.

Source: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1317112577

Last edited:

chewren123

Reaction score
So Boys and Girls, instead of buying from Dell at S$309 and wait for 3 weeks for delivery, you can now buy from me at S$275 per set and collect on the spot.

If you are keen, please send me an email to chewren@live.com

Please stated your Name, Contact Details, how many sets you want.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.