Applying for Singapore Citizenship after NS

koopikoo

Reaction score
I am a PR now, going to ORD as a Corporal First Class this coming august. I was born in Singapore and lived here for 22 years already. My highest educational qualifications now is a diploma from TP, and I am enrolling in SIT's degree program this September. Both my parents are PR also.

Intend to apply for citizenship right after I ORD.

1)What are the chances my application will get approved?

2)how long does ICA take to process my application?

Anyone who got experience(or heard of other people's experience) in citizenship application can share with me especially on the processing time part?

Thank you! :)

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you can apply before you ORD under the accelerated citizenship scheme. Check with your commanders, if your commanders don't know check with the S1 branch. If they don't know ask them to help you find out. If they don't then you can try calling NS hotline to ask them to help you find out.

1) even though they say something like "subjected to approval" but usually having serving NS is sorta "in principle" approval to get citizenship liao. So the chances can be as good as confirmed barring any "bad" stuff you will commit from now till you ORD?

2) can't help you with the subsequent question, but I do know someone who has been there done that.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
If you apply while still serving, I think it is faster to obtain citizenship

bigbird888

Reaction score
I was like you 27 years ago but I don't think my experience would be relevant to you other than the fact that I am still here. Just apply...

I am a PR now, going to ORD as a Corporal First Class this coming august. I was born in Singapore and lived here for 22 years already. My highest educational qualifications now is a diploma from TP, and I am enrolling in SIT's degree program this September. Both my parents are PR also.

Intend to apply for citizenship right after I ORD.

1)What are the chances my application will get approved?

2)how long does ICA take to process my application?

Anyone who got experience(or heard of other people's experience) in citizenship application can share with me especially on the processing time part?

Thank you! :)

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was like you 27 years ago but I don't think my experience would be relevant to you other than the fact that I am still here. Just apply...

Even if you don't apply u can still be here given that you will be a PR at least ain't it

Reaction score
National Service Knowledge-Base

After how many years a person who came from another country he/she will get Citizenship in Singapore.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes but how would that be relevant to his question?
If your plan was to let TS know that you are still here 27 years on because you got citizenship, then your example is kinda ambiguous. As mentioned, you can be rejected for citizenship and still be here 27 years on because you got PR.

yangzhixiong

Reaction score
say if a commander apply for singapore citizenship it will get approved faster compared to those not of commanding level, as of my experience.

i was a 3sg applied about the same time as other troopers; 4 months after i moved on to the next stage while others do not have any news yet. i went to s1 branch direct and there was a clerk that is very helpful;

once you "moved on to the next stage", this is where you start to have your experiential tour at heritage sites and community sharing at a designated community centre.

total i took about 6 months to clear my sg citizenship, but others, even some commanders, took much longer - more than a year for example. if you need to know any more stuff i will be glad to help with the best of my knowledge and impression of the process during early 2014.

but i will still suggest you to apply during rather than after; and with a diploma and furthering with university shouldn't be an issue.

edit: wow you're ord-ing in coming august. it's abit rush because say if your application form contains some stuff that needs to be rectified, i don't know how they will be contacting you. there is this persnode department that handles servicemen's administration matters, which is also the department s1 branch communicates with. you might have to go down there also depending on the s1 branch's instructions..

Last edited:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
say if a commander apply for singapore citizenship it will get approved faster compared to those not of commanding level, as of my experience.

i was a 3sg applied about the same time as other troopers; 4 months after i moved on to the next stage while others do not have any news yet. i went to s1 branch direct and there was a clerk that is very helpful;

once you "moved on to the next stage", this is where you start to have your experiential tour at heritage sites and community sharing at a designated community centre.

total i took about 6 months to clear my sg citizenship, but others, even some commanders, took much longer - more than a year for example. if you need to know any more stuff i will be glad to help with the best of my knowledge and impression of the process during early 2014.

but i will still suggest you to apply during rather than after; and with a diploma and furthering with university shouldn't be an issue.

edit: wow you're ord-ing in coming august. it's abit rush because say if your application form contains some stuff that needs to be rectified, i don't know how they will be contacting you. there is this persnode department that handles servicemen's administration matters, which is also the department s1 branch communicates with. you might have to go down there also depending on the s1 branch's instructions..
No doubt this is your experience, but I have reservations about whether being a commander or not makes the processing faster. Whether Enlistee, WOSPEC or Officer. All served, so I don't see why there should be this kind of discrimination. It is probably due to other factors.

Maybe cause you get to go to S1 branch direct that's why?

yangzhixiong

Reaction score
No doubt this is your experience, but I have reservations about whether being a commander or not makes the processing faster. Whether Enlistee, WOSPEC or Officer. All served, so I don't see why there should be this kind of discrimination. It is probably due to other factors.

Maybe cause you get to go to S1 branch direct that's why?

could be. but bringing up about the processing speed between men and commander is because of the trend "commanders" will somehow have priority because of the credentials. of course, i mean no discrimation.

others that applied about the same time as me also have diploma qualification and had placings in university.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
could be. but bringing up about the processing speed between men and commander is because of the trend "commanders" will somehow have priority because of the credentials. of course, i mean no discrimation.

others that applied about the same time as me also have diploma qualification and had placings in university.
Maybe in the "internal" processing itself due to more "direct" access... But when it comes to ICA part, it should be all on merits and sequence...

bigbird888

Reaction score
If your plan was to let TS know that you are still here 27 years on because you got citizenship, then your example is kinda ambiguous. As mentioned, you can be rejected for citizenship and still be here 27 years on because you got PR.

So is there any downside to applying?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So is there any downside to applying?

I never said there's any downside. I'm just saying the example you gave wasn't clear and doesn't instill much confidence. Or simply put it, it's the way you put across your example because it is ambiguous and subjects to interpretation.

bigbird888

Reaction score
I never said there's any downside. I'm just saying the example you gave wasn't clear and doesn't instill much confidence. Or simply put it, it's the way you put across your example because it is ambiguous and subjects to interpretation.

What is not clear?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.