Can Defer After Received Enlistment Letter?

yeobt

Reaction score
Hi,

My son just received his enlistment letter to 6 SIR. But he planned to continue his course either in poly or private school like NAFA. Can he still defer his enlistment?

TIA :vijayadmin:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My son just received his enlistment letter to 6 SIR. But he planned to continue his course either in poly or private school like NAFA. Can he still defer his enlistment?

TIA :vijayadmin:
He how old and what's his current qualification?

yeobt

Reaction score
my son's NS enlistment is jan 2017,
can we know if the poly accepting his enrolment for next year in-take by dec (next month)?

Mogan23

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can defer. Just go to cmpb say you defer for poly

I was in the same boat as your son.

They will give deferment until April. By then you should have received school admission letter. Update cmpb with the letter to defer until end of studies.

And you'll only know if he get into poly in April if go by jpae. DAE is February or march. LaSalle/nafa I dk when

Calander

Reaction score
my son's NS enlistment is jan 2017,
can we know if the poly accepting his enrolment for next year in-take by dec (next month)?

if he has just completed his secondary education, he will be allowed for deferment (ITE, poly, JC).

Deferment is only allowed for their first tertiary education.

pikafunk3

Banned
Reaction score
Disruption will not be granted for you to pursue pre-university qualifications (e.g. GCE ‘A’ Level, polytechnic diploma) as there are sufficient opportunities for you to attain pre-university qualifications prior to enlistment. An exception is made for Institute of Technical Education (ITE) graduates who only succeeded in obtaining a place at a polytechnic during full-time NS, but not prior to enlistment.

ITE graduates

NS-liable ITE students may be granted disruption in their second year of full-time NS to pursue a polytechnic diploma or equivalent qualification (e.g. courses at the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts or LaSalle College of the Arts). This provision only applies to those who have applied for one or more courses in these institutions prior to enlistment, but are not successful in any of their applications. If they subsequently succeed in obtaining a place at one of these institutions during full-time NS, they may be granted disruption in their second year of NS to pursue a polytechnic diploma or equivalent qualification. If you are disrupted from full-time NS, you have to serve your remaining full-time NS in one continuous period immediately after you have completed your studies.

https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-ns/disruption-for-further-studies/

Last edited:

Decipheric

Reaction score
deferment

cannot call them and ask for a deferment till april must personally go down there to defer?

Decipheric

Reaction score
hey is it possible if i can just call them through the letter hotline ns call center instead of heading down there to ask personally for a deferment for poly basically over the phone.

Mogan23

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey is it possible if i can just call them through the letter hotline ns call center instead of heading down there to ask personally for a deferment for poly basically over the phone.
Why don't you pick up the phone to call and ask?

NickSpallow

Reaction score
Can defer. Just go to cmpb say you defer for poly

I was in the same boat as your son.

They will give deferment until April. By then you should have received school admission letter. Update cmpb with the letter to defer until end of studies.

And you'll only know if he get into poly in April if go by jpae. DAE is February or march. LaSalle/nafa I dk when

Need bring anything when go down to defer?

Calander

Reaction score
Do i need to bring anything?

Your question in such a manner will only attract vague answers.

That is to bring your NRIC and supporting documents.

In whatever letter u might have received will sure have clear indications on what to do. Otherwise, who or what made u think u have to go down? The caller whom u conversed with did not advise u on the stuff to take note?

Pls be clear on your situation if u wan fellow forum users to advise u. U have to play your part then only ask for support, not for the convenience of asking without doing any homework. Otherwise there will be a "moderator" in this particular forum questioning u over every single things u said and could give u a final conclusion of something similar to "that depends on whether cmpb wants to grant ur deferment", and "nobody here is the cmpb officer", or "what we say here doesnt mean what cmpb will do".

A complete total standard answer that is just a meaningless contribution

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.