Make Up Pay Claim Question

gobbie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've completed my ICT not long ago and receive sms i getting x amount for my ICT and got 2 question.

1)Is service pay a separate amount besides my civilian pay?

2)The make up pay amount i receive is before deducting cpf or after deducting cpf?

Any kind souls can advise me on these?

uselessbum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2)The make up pay amount i receive is before deducting cpf or after deducting cpf?

Your company will continue to pay your usual CPF amount as if you never went for ICT.It won't change because of your ICT.Your company will claim your employee cpf contribution from the portion of the basic salary they are paying you so the MUP can be considered as not having deducted any CPF.

Here is the MUP form,there is a section in it talking about CPF.Unfortunately it is copy protected so I cannot copy and paste the relevant section here

http://www.ns.sg/publish/etc/medial...le.tmp/Form_MUP Claim Form _Oct 10 ver 2_.pdf

:(

Last edited:

camoguysg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys,

sorry to hijack this thread but needs advice on this same topic. For my recent first high-key ICT, I did not need to submit a make-up claim as my company claims directly from MINDEF.

However, I understand from MINDEF website that we are also entitled to an additonal allowance known as "service pay". Now the question is, how many of us actually receive this? My ICT was over since 2 weeks ago and I have not receive any service pay to date.

Some of my colleagues said that they also did not receive anything, while one friend said that he received "rank" pay (which I believe should be the same as service pay) during his ICT. (His company also claims directly from MINDEF).

It appears that I am getting different messages. So exactly are we entitled to this service pay? And if yes, how soon are we suppose to receive this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

mythicocean

Reaction score
Not very sure with the specifics.

But I came across some formula to calculate your make up pay claim. You can find it on NS.sg website.

GrimaH

Master Member
Reaction score
Basically you get either your civilian pay or service pay, whichever is higher. MUP makes up for the difference, it doesn't give you more than what you'd have been paid by your company.

uselessbum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys,

sorry to hijack this thread but needs advice on this same topic. For my recent first high-key ICT, I did not need to submit a make-up claim as my company claims directly from MINDEF.

However, I understand from MINDEF website that we are also entitled to an additonal allowance known as "service pay". Now the question is, how many of us actually receive this? My ICT was over since 2 weeks ago and I have not receive any service pay to date.

Some of my colleagues said that they also did not receive anything, while one friend said that he received "rank" pay (which I believe should be the same as service pay) during his ICT. (His company also claims directly from MINDEF).

It appears that I am getting different messages. So exactly are we entitled to this service pay? And if yes, how soon are we suppose to receive this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ICT:Service Pay + MUP = Loss in income

For the purpose of ICT,service pay is not an "EXTRA" allowance outside of one's regular salary.For those of us who have to do manual claim,we will usually receive our service pay first followed by our MUP.It all adds up to what our company deducted from our pay.

Service pay that is given for going to RT sessions can be considered as "extra" because employers don't usually deduct your regular salary for it thus you will be getting both your usual salary and service pay(pro-rated) for going to RT.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mindef_websites/topics/nsmen/admin/PayMatters.html

Example:

Monthly Service Pay of an Infantry 3SG = $990.00

Period of NS training: 5 Apr 2010 (0800hrs) to 11 Apr 2010 (1159hrs)

Service Pay for the NS training
= 7/30 days x $990.00
= $231.00

When the NSman attends the NS activity, his employer deducts 5 days of his civilian pay from his income for April amounting to $500.00. He therefore suffers a net financial loss of $269.00 ($500.00 - $231.00) after taking into consideration the deduction by his employer and his service pay for the training.

To make up this difference of $269.00, he can submit a make-up pay claim for this amount.

Make-Up Pay for the NS training
= Loss in Civilian Income – Service Pay
= $500.00 -$231.00
= $269.00

For NSmen who are civil servants:
For NSmen who are public servants (i.e. those working in Ministries and Statutory Boards), your employer will continue to pay your full salary for the duration of your call-up. For this reason, you will not be paid service pay and make-up pay. The only exceptions are call-ups that are conducted entirely outside of working hours, for which you will be paid service pay.

Since your company claims directly from Mindef,your case is like those civil servants.

camoguysg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation. My workplace naturally only claims from MINDEF for weekdays since I am not required to work on weekends in my employment. (ie..monday to friday)

But thats where the confusion starts. During my high key ICT, I burnt 2 full saturdays and 1 sunday. Based on the definition of service pay as provided by MINDEF (the same link which is posted here), the service pay is supposedly to cover weekends, including public holidays if our ICT coincide with it. Therefore, shouldnt I receive the allowance due for these 3 days? Hmm...anyone can verify whether this is the correct understanding? :s11:

As quoted from the website:
"NSmen are given service pay for each day of NS Training, including Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. While this cannot fully compensate our NSmen for their commitment and contribution towards NS, service pay serves to recognise each day of contribution made by NSmen."

So what happens to my burnt weekends?? :(

Last edited:

uselessbum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation. My workplace naturally only claims from MINDEF for weekdays since I am not required to work on weekends in my employment. (ie..monday to friday)

But thats where the confusion starts. During my high key ICT, I burnt 2 full saturdays and 1 sunday. Based on the definition of service pay as provided by MINDEF (the same link which is posted here), the service pay is supposedly to cover weekends, including public holidays if our ICT coincide with it. Therefore, shouldnt I receive the allowance due for these 3 days? Hmm...anyone can verify whether this is the correct understanding? :s11:

As quoted from the website:
"NSmen are given service pay for each day of NS Training, including Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. While this cannot fully compensate our NSmen for their commitment and contribution towards NS, service pay serves to recognise each day of contribution made by NSmen."

So what happens to my burnt weekends?? :(

Ah i see now.

Then yes,you are supposed to receive a prorated amount of service pay for the weekends itself.:s12:

Give them about a month(2 weeks more) to deposit it,they tend to be rather slow on such matters.Also,do check that your bank account number in their records is correct.

If after a month they don't give you anything,call the hotline.Alternatively,you can call them up right now just in case they have "conveniently" forgotten and need a friendly reminder.

camoguysg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bro for your advice. I will call them after chinese new year to haunt them haha... :D

ahwei86

Banned
Reaction score
for every father mother son info, pls chiong for command school.

when u go ict, there's no additional pay payment. If u earn 3k per mrh, u get 3k per mth even if u go ict. MUP means when ur employer dulan u MIA for work for 2weeks, deduct ur pay from payroll, u can ask the minitry refund u the deducted amount. if u work gahmen sector, good for u, ur HR take it u still continue working despite not physically at the work place..

HOWEVER,

if u r KAH, u get KAH allowance :)

rovers are entitled too.

jonesftw

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those doing manual MUP claim, you guys usually received the MUP together with the service pay? Or receive MUP after the service pay?

mubz96

Master Member
Reaction score
Not digging this thread.
My employee is suppose to claim my makeup pay for me serving ICT but has not done so because of admin lapse. But it has continued to pay my salary as if I have never gone for ICT in its eye. It finally realises when lapse was discovered and now it is too late to file for make up pay claim.

My qns is will there be any implications with regards to cpf or tax filing?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not digging this thread.
My employee is suppose to claim my makeup pay for me serving ICT but has not done so because of admin lapse. But it has continued to pay my salary as if I have never gone for ICT in its eye. It finally realises when lapse was discovered and now it is too late to file for make up pay claim.

if you are not digging this thread, then what are you doing?

Why will there be implications regard to cpf and tax filing? If the CPF has been paid, it has been paid what. if the income has been earned, it has been earned what

mubz96

Master Member
Reaction score
if you are not digging this thread, then what are you doing?

Why will there be implications regard to cpf and tax filing? If the CPF has been paid, it has been paid what. if the income has been earned, it has been earned what

Yes but not to the extent of mindless digging.

Thank you for responding.

My HR told me there might implications but can't articulate hence curious if anyone experienced before.

Sent from Samsung SM-G920I using GAGT

Last edited:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes but not to the extent of mindless digging.

Thank you for responding.

My HR told me there might implications but can't articulate hence curious if anyone experienced before.

Sent from Samsung SM-G920I using GAGT
2011 thread, that's like more than 6 years ago? Why don't you just start a new thread.

Ask your HR to articulate if not don't try to smoke lor

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There will be no implications for cpf.

However in theory, there will be implications on tax filing cause you are paying extra tax due to your NSman pay(rank allowance).

Not digging this thread.

Calander

Reaction score
2011 thread, that's like more than 6 years ago? Why don't you just start a new thread.

Ask your HR to articulate if not don't try to smoke lor

there is such a thing called googling using keywords and posts related even if it's years ago, it can still be retrieved. For TS, he merely has searched and continued using the same title.

unless u are saying that there are IT regulations that restricts such an act. Then yes, TS should had created a new thread.

if one does not address the question posted, do not try and find "bones from an egg".

Calander

Reaction score
Not digging this thread.

no implications as such lapse are common.

cpf wise, u should had gotten more especially from the Employer's Contribution as i do not think there is a percentage from your MUP goes there (if u already had a MUP application filed and approved).

Iras, no issues as it is still the same amount of income u are getting regardless if there is MUP or not, with the exception of additional income by Mindef on allowance such as rank/service pay.

but if i m not wrong, u are suppose to have either applied for MUP via NS portal which your HR will be alerted on such upcoming transaction when u received your SAF100, or when u applied for Paid-Leave due to NS-matters (provided your HR system practices that).

no need to worry so much about it. most likely only the HR and Finance Dept will have some points deducted from their annual audit.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there is such a thing called googling using keywords and posts related even if it's years ago, it can still be retrieved. For TS, he merely has searched and continued using the same title.

unless u are saying that there are IT regulations that restricts such an act. Then yes, TS should had created a new thread.

if one does not address the question posted, do not try and find "bones from an egg".
Point is, there's no need for one to say, one is not digging.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.