[Singtel fibre] Cabling woes

DirtyFeathers

Reaction score
Hi all, my building is finally fibre ready and I have chosen Singtel as my ISP.

From reading the posts on the forum to my first hand experience, I understand that a wired connection to my computers is the best way to get the most out of fibre broadband.

Here is where the issue comes in...how do I go about wiring up 3 rooms in my house with Cat6 cables?

I do however have telephone jacks in all 3 rooms and by consulting my flat's electrical wiring diagram, these jacks are ran through the walls with Cat5e cables.

2ise2hl.jpg

Do the telephone jacks save the hassle of me having to wire up my entire house? If so, would internet speed be slower compared to a direct connection from the modem?

Please advise!

Yelangrelive

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all, my building is finally fibre ready and I have chosen Singtel as my ISP.

From reading the posts on the forum to my first hand experience, I understand that a wired connection to my computers is the best way to get the most out of fibre broadband.

Here is where the issue comes in...how do I go about wiring up 3 rooms in my house with Cat6 cables?

Get someone to do the job for you. it will be about 3 hundred plus dollars
I do however have telephone jacks in all 3 rooms and by consulting my flat's electrical wiring diagram, these jacks are ran through the walls with Cat5e cables.

2ise2hl.jpg

Do the telephone jacks save the hassle of me having to wire up my entire house? If so, would internet speed be slower compared to a direct connection from the modem?

Please advise!

Get some one to convert the faceplate to suit RJ45
The speed will not be able to tell until you test it and it may be varies from room to room depending on the workmanship during the laying of the cable during constructions, the conversion from rj15 sockets to rj45 sockets.

It will not be much difference if everything is done properly. It will be a plus minus 10 to 15 % difference in speed.

DirtyFeathers

Reaction score
Get someone to do the job for you. it will be about 3 hundred plus dollars

Get some one to convert the faceplate to suit RJ45
The speed will not be able to tell until you test it and it may be varies from room to room depending on the workmanship during the laying of the cable during constructions, the conversion from rj15 sockets to rj45 sockets.

It will not be much difference if everything is done properly. It will be a plus minus 10 to 15 % difference in speed.

Ok. I'll run the cables through my house instead as I do not wish to sacrifice quality.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.