HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

{Help please] Planning and setting up of new home network - Linksys Velop based

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

{Help please] Planning and setting up of new home network - Linksys Velop based

As per topic. Trying to get a home network set up for a 4-room BTO. Got the Velop set pending ISP activation later in the week. Data point conversion done, 6 points as follows:

1. Master bedroom - Intention to place 1 Velop node here.
2. 2nd bedroom - Currently no plans except perhaps a computer in the future ... daughter is still too young
3. 3rd bedroom - Intention to place 1 Velop node here.
4. Living room, inside console - Intention to place a switch here to further split to TV, android box, and game console.
5. Living room, beside sofa - *Converted to digital voice loopback*
6. Bomb shelter - Intention to place a NAS in there in the near future.

Patch panel in the DB utility compartment leading to these points.

The ISP's ONT will be in the DB utility compartment, understandably ... and my understanding is that I'll need to have the 1st / primary Velop node in there as well because it needs to be connected to the ONT, and then I'll need to connect the 1st node to a gigabit switch and from there patch to the master bedroom and 3rd bedroom which are where I intend to place the 2nd and 3rd Velop nodes. Is this correct?

What kind of switch do I need? Smart, not-so-smart, managed, unmanaged? A 5-port switch is not enough for the above, yes? Is there a 6-port switch? Or the next will be 8-port already? Anyone can recommend? How about the type of switch for the TV console?

Sorry, networking n00b here Appreciate any advice I can get, thanks.
CCCustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

if you are only connecting 3 device (TV, android box, and game console.)

A 5 port switch should be enough.

A TP-LINK TL-SG105 should be good enough.
https://www.hachi.tech/product/69353...witch-TL-SG105

Understands that at the Bottom of the Velop it has Ethernet port. So one of the port would be connecting to another switch. For this I would suggest a 8 Port switch.

Last edited by Apex; 19-12-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

As per topic. Trying to get a home network set up for a 4-room BTO. Got the Velop set pending ISP activation later in the week. Data point conversion done, 6 points as follows:

1. Master bedroom - Intention to place 1 Velop node here.
2. 2nd bedroom - Currently no plans except perhaps a computer in the future ... daughter is still too young
3. 3rd bedroom - Intention to place 1 Velop node here.
4. Living room, inside console - Intention to place a switch here to further split to TV, android box, and game console.
5. Living room, beside sofa - *Converted to digital voice loopback*
6. Bomb shelter - Intention to place a NAS in there in the near future.

Patch panel in the DB utility compartment leading to these points.

The ISP's ONT will be in the DB utility compartment, understandably ... and my understanding is that I'll need to have the 1st / primary Velop node in there as well because it needs to be connected to the ONT, and then I'll need to connect the 1st node to a gigabit switch and from there patch to the master bedroom and 3rd bedroom which are where I intend to place the 2nd and 3rd Velop nodes. Is this correct?

What kind of switch do I need? Smart, not-so-smart, managed, unmanaged? A 5-port switch is not enough for the above, yes? Is there a 6-port switch? Or the next will be 8-port already? Anyone can recommend? How about the type of switch for the TV console?

Sorry, networking n00b here Appreciate any advice I can get, thanks.
If you put the primary node in dB dox, it will be futile. You can modify your network a bit to allow primary node to come out of the dB box.

You can use an unmanaged switch like what Apex has suggested, but 5 or 8 ports you own self decide...
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.