ohmygod1986

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
612525.gif

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
for 2gbps or above?

If you are subscribing for the VQ 2Gbps to 1 PC solution you will need a dual port Intel NIC with teaming support.

If your motherboard advertises dual Intel NIC with teaming function such as Asus X99 Deluxe then an additional NIC is not required.

If you are worried about XGPON services (>2Gbps) which will be later this year or maybe next year then you can consider a 10Gbps NIC which will be more costly.

Fun fact, the 2Gbps to PC MikroTik router that VQ offers for 2G to PC service also has a 10Gbps port - I have speedtest results higher than 2Gbps but currently speedtest.net rejects results above 2Gbps.

But whether consumers will get such services soon, I can't say :)

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
plan for future speed higher than 2gbps.

It's quite far in the future. Also I'm probably the only person on this whole forum who has seen Speedtest.net results of 6Gbps to 8Gbps haha.

I.e. present day it might not be practical yet.

That said, 10G NICs are very common on servers now and second hand ones off eBay are around the $200-$300 mark for dual port solutions such as the Intel X520 series.

blackie83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
where to find content to download at 2gpbs? Even corporate also don't use so much bandwidth.

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
Its too early for such planning now. As what andrew has mentioned, teaming support is probably what you need. Getting a 10gbit nic is kinda unwise..

It is not so expensive these days but for others' awareness, there are 2 common 10G connectivity options - SFP+ modules and 10Gbase-T.

10Gbase-T will be familiar to most as it uses the same RJ45 connector as current 1Gbps however the achievable speed is highly dependent on cabling quality (must be properly conforming Cat6, Cat6A including crimping) and possibly distance limited such as in Cat6 (30+m), and NICs tend to run hotter due to the higher power required for copper transmission.

Myself I have standardized on SFP+ modules with direct attach SFP+ or multimode fiber transceivers as 10G SFP+ NICs are much cheaper due to surplus/pulls from servers. Also because it's lower latency compared to 10Gbase-T and I am using part of my 10G infra as a iSCSI SAN. ;)

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
where to find content to download at 2gpbs? Even corporate also don't use so much bandwidth.

Many content and hosting companies such as Google, Amazon, Softlayer, etc. have full 10G, 40G or 100G infrastructure in Singapore.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's quite far in the future. Also I'm probably the only person on this whole forum who has seen Speedtest.net results of 6Gbps to 8Gbps haha.

I.e. present day it might not be practical yet.

That said, 10G NICs are very common on servers now and second hand ones off eBay are around the $200-$300 mark for dual port solutions such as the Intel X520 series.

you're trial or test person for future home broadband speeds? What's your max speed you have tested so far ?

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Speedtest.net is limited by Flash Player/CPU to around 2.5Gbps down and 7Gbps up.

no wonder, i got different speedtests between IE, Chrome, Firefox.
IE has fastest speed test followed by MF.

the best i get was 950mbps dl

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
no wonder, i got different speedtests between IE, Chrome, Firefox.
IE has fastest speed test followed by MF.

the best i get was 950mbps dl
IE tends to crash for 2Gbps haha. I have found Mozilla Firefox to have a very stable network stack for speeds beyond 1Gbps.

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With these comments, i can see that 10Gbps coming into standard soon.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IE tends to crash for 2Gbps haha. I have found Mozilla Firefox to have a very stable network stack for speeds beyond 1Gbps.

Yeah, i tested on Firefox, chrome. When doing speed test, the graphics was smooth. But on IE side, after 500mbps, it started to lag.:eek:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.