Astrill vpn users...

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score
which LA server you all select to connecto US for fastest speed?

on Singtel Fibre.

also, whats the diff between Singapore USA and just Singapore svr?

mun

Reaction score
I always use USA LA server 1 to watch netflix. So far, okay :)

outer92

Reaction score

on Singtel Fibre.

I alway use USA LA ( world )to watch Netflix, hulu and dramafever

oric1

Reaction score

on Singtel Fibre.

I'm on StarHub fibre, here are my tests today for the LA & Singapore servers (all readings in Mbps) :

LA1 = 28.23 down / 9.17 up
LA2 = 23.07 down / 2.86 up
LA3 = 25.86 down / 8.11 up
LA4 = 13.85 down / 5.45 up
LA (China) = 4.98 down / 0.75 up
LA (World) = 5.55 down / 0.53 up
LA (Business) = 58.85 down / 5.42 up

If you're using Singapore 1 (USA) server, you'll be issued with USA IP address.

If you're using Singapore 2 or Singapore via NZ (Gamers) server then you'll be issued with Singapore IP address.

Singapore 1 (USA) = 93.72 down / 115.11 up
Singapore 2 = 9.58 down / 2.66 up
Singapore via NZ (Gamers) = 60.01 down / 8.17 up

For me the best speed to USA is the LA (Business) & Singapore 1 (USA).

Last edited:

Elspeth

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm on StarHub fibre, here are my tests today for the LA & Singapore servers (all readings in Mbps) :

LA1 = 28.23 down / 9.17 up
LA2 = 23.07 down / 2.86 up
LA3 = 25.86 down / 8.11 up
LA4 = 13.85 down / 5.45 up
LA (China) = 4.98 down / 0.75 up
LA (World) = 5.55 down / 0.53 up
LA (Business) = 58.85 down / 5.42 up

If you're using Singapore 1 (USA) server, you'll be issued with USA IP address.

If you're using Singapore 2 or Singapore via NZ (Gamers) server then you'll be issued with Singapore IP address.

Singapore 1 (USA) = 93.72 down / 115.11 up
Singapore 2 = 9.58 down / 2.66 up
Singapore via NZ (Gamers) = 60.01 down / 8.17 up

For me the best speed to USA is the LA (Business) & Singapore 1 (USA).

can't use utorrent on singapore servers :o

bagger 288

Suspended
Reaction score
They fixed Singapore (2) today. Tonight I'm getting 84.16Mbps down / 78.50Mbps up / ping 4ms

My speed
3396576664.png

Saline

Reaction score
anyone still have crappy speed on China (no facebook) and China 1 (via USA)?

i'm access via viewqwest and video streaming is extremely laggy on those streaming sites

oric1

Reaction score
anyone still have crappy speed on China (no facebook) and China 1 (via USA)?

i'm access via viewqwest and video streaming is extremely laggy on those streaming sites

yeap, same for starhub

segafan

Reaction score
Hey ya'll.

I'm no longer on Astrill for a while now but these info sure is an eye opener: Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously? 2014 Edition : technology

From a former Astrill staff:
I worked for Astrill so I can tell you the claims attributed to them on that page are mostly ********.

1) We do not keep logs

Reality) False. They do keep logs. With reguard to http traffic, they log every single single page loaded for every customer using their VPN servers. They log your account number, the requested url, the time of the request. This information is kept for months at a time and then thrown into a journal system.

2) We do not disclose your customer information

Reality) Mostly true. Astrill is mostly concerned with closing the accounts of people who abuse their network. If anyone asks they will say they can't identify what customers are doing, but in reality is Astrill is constantly scanning through their logs looking for people running scripts which hit google/facebook (or any other site) too frequently, and then those accounts are disabled.

3) We may enable logs on a server in case of network abuse

Reality) False. Http requests are logged on all servers and that data is kept for a minimum of three months. Always. When I asked about this discrepancy between what they say publicly and what they do privately I was told we would do whatever it takes to run the company (even if that includes deceiving the customers).

4) We do not store any files, we provide IP transit only. Therefore, we can’t fulfill any "take down(s)"

Reality) False. Astrill receives a whole bunch of take down notices every single day and then blocks users from reaching those destinations. One of the uses of the logs they keep is to locate copyright troll IPs. We developed scripts to compare take down requests (which include our offending torrent IP addresses and time stamps) to locate the trolls, and then block our clients from connecting to them. We still did a lot of take downs, but by locating copyright troll IPs (by running scripts on our logs) we were able to block many IPs.

5) The majority of users use shared IP space therefore we are not able to identify the customer

Reality) False. We knew exactly who registered what accounts and logs every one's activity. We can and do identify your account. We close accounts each day for abuse. We were working on a system to throw abusive accounts onto one server. I don't know what progress was made in this endeavor.

6) P2P activity is allowed on many of our servers

Reality) True. These are the servers marked with a star in the connection tools we provide.

and

[–]privacysettings1234 1 point 22 days ago

I agree with the OP. Astrill betrays its customers by revealing identifiable information about its customers. Two Singaporean bloggers were investigated by Singapore's Internal Security Department for posting what the latter deemed to be remarks that lower the esteem of the Singaporean Prime Minister. These bloggers were using Astrill to mask their activities.

---

Yes, VPNs can't guarantee you complete anonymity.
No traffic logs != No logs (at all).

I suppose if privacy isn't your top priority, Astrill is still a good vpn provider with very good speeds. But if you want maximum privacy, look for something else.

[–]toadkicker -1 points 28 days ago

The problem isn't that things are monitored. The problem is that users are the product. Until the tech sector can figure out a business model that can balance technical requirements for logging and marketing's desire to know every aspect of consumer behaviors, we'll keep the cat and mouse game going strong. Security and privacy is not a user's problem.

Salapi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll.

I'm no longer on Astrill for a while now but these info sure is an eye opener: Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously? 2014 Edition : technology

From a former Astrill staff:

and

---

Yes, VPNs can't guarantee you complete anonymity.
No traffic logs != No logs (at all).

I suppose if privacy isn't your top priority, Astrill is still a good vpn provider with very good speeds. But if you want maximum privacy, look for something else.

Almost took the plunge for Astrill. sigh... didn't know it's that bad. Oh well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.