which broadband to choose ?

Accumulative

Reaction score
haven't been up to date with the broadband providers

which is the popular provider now ?
M1 Starhub or SIngtel ?

or is there one that i should definitely avoid ?

Thanks !

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well dunno what u want from those ISP, but just go with M1 for it price.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally I am using Singtel fibre for 6 years and with the exception of nationwide outage, there isn't any unreported downtime that I face (woodlands area). Pretty solid for day to day usage, streaming etc. Used to be pricey but no very competitive given the package you will get.

No provider you should avoid, but each has it's own strength and weaknesses.

For end to end service including tech guys coming down to investigate weak Wi-Fi , router issue and centralised router replacement at Somerset, Singtel is hard to beat. But do sign up during show period, usually got good promo!

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm a singtel user for more than half a decade already, had multiple services with them including singtel TV and even in their Singtel Circle benefit. However my advise is to go with the best savings option considering the performance factor too.

I'm sure you won't wanna subscribe to a service which hardly works right?

Singtel thus far has been behaving well for me, quite consistent in speed as shown by samknows statistics. However different people got different usage. Some people want good speed some people want lower latency for gaming and some want to stream movies hosted in China etc. If I'm not wrong, some premium service providers do provide custom routing at your request but if you're not tech savvy enough, you also won't know how to request for it.

Also, some people may find it useful to have in house support for routers and singtel is currently issuing ac1900 routers, which is kinda good enough considering its free. I myself don't use their router not because it's not good, but I have other wireless devices which flies on wireless access with 3rd party routers like tplink. If it helps, I'm using tplink c5400.

To me, I can pay a little more for consistent performance but you might not agree. So look around and ask for opinions with different people. :) Also do note that if your family is mainly using a certain provider, you might save more if you get the same provider for your Internet too.

haven't been up to date with the broadband providers

which is the popular provider now ?
M1 Starhub or SIngtel ?

or is there one that i should definitely avoid ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any M1 Fiber users in the north(woodlands)? so far ok?

No issues, have been on M1 Fibre for nearly 6 years.

The submarine cable cut caused widespread network slowdowns yesterday evening, and it affects other ISPs as well. Therefore, this cannot be held liable on M1.

The only time I was cut from M1 Fibre is also because of the SingTel Bukit Panjang Fire incident. Other times the DNS outage (which didn't happen for quite some time alr) I didn't really get affected because it's when I'm in school. Haha.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Starhub user here. Rock solid and stable. Eight months onto my 2nd contract now.

However there are hundreds if not thousands user out that still facing the intermitten disconnection issues.

How I resolve my issue is RMA both routers provided by Starhub and use the settings here : http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...ic-4/secure-your-router-dir-868l-5499216.html

Never , never use STARHUB DNS, its problematic and has been a long standing issue which Starhub never bother to solve.

Last edited:

jnetsix

Reaction score
No issues, have been on M1 Fibre for nearly 6 years.

The submarine cable cut caused widespread network slowdowns yesterday evening, and it affects other ISPs as well. Therefore, this cannot be held liable on M1.

The only time I was cut from M1 Fibre is also because of the SingTel Bukit Panjang Fire incident. Other times the DNS outage (which didn't happen for quite some time alr) I didn't really get affected because it's when I'm in school. Haha.

thanks for info, will sign up for june pc show when I got my house in May. :)

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like all were happy with the big 3 ISP.

Just go for the best deal will do

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub user here. Rock solid and stable. Eight months onto my 2nd contract now.

However there are hundreds if not thousands user out that still facing the intermitten disconnection issues.

I have been with Starhub for nearly 7 years. Almost 2 years on Fibre.

Yes my internet connection has been rock solid too. I rarely have to reboot/power cycle my modem/router.

Most people who have disconnection problems are just noob people. Number 1 golden advice is to use a 3rd party router. And number 2 is location of the router.

To me, price and preference are the determining factors to choose an ISP.

MrMundy

Master Member
Reaction score
starhub user since max online came out, i think that was in 2004/2005? (i rmb i was still in primary school, playing maple story with the new unlimited broadband internet.. before that was playing gunbound using dial-up :s13::s13:)
never had isolated disconnection issues, only face internet downtime when everyone else also had downtime (last year's dns outage etc.)

switching to fibre also ok, except that the wireless router they give is really sub par, anyway unless ur family got watch scv, just go for other other cheap isp, + - same 1
or if u have starhub mobile lines can consider home hub go bundles, got a lot of discounts if u have many starhub mobile lines

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been with Starhub for nearly 7 years. Almost 2 years on Fibre.

Yes my internet connection has been rock solid too. I rarely have to reboot/power cycle my modem/router.

Most people who have disconnection problems are just noob people. Number 1 golden advice is to use a 3rd party router. And number 2 is location of the router.

To me, price and preference are the determining factors to choose an ISP.

Wad router are u using? Care to share? I'm using Dlink 865L, keep having disconnection every now and then

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wad router are u using? Care to share? I'm using Dlink 865L, keep having disconnection every now and then

I am using Asus N66U bought nearly 2 years ago. I suggest you go for AC68. Can look out for a 2nd hand reseller. Alternatively, PM me for the best local deal.

PS: I don't work for Asus.

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Asus N66U bought nearly 2 years ago. I suggest you go for AC68. Can look out for a 2nd hand reseller. Alternatively, PM me for the best local deal.

PS: I don't work for Asus.

Hi, thanks for ur info.. Wad WiFi speeds r u getting for 2.4ghz and 5ghz? I'm planning to switch to m1 fibre and buy router from them

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for ur info.. Wad WiFi speeds r u getting for 2.4ghz and 5ghz? I'm planning to switch to m1 fibre and buy router from them
AC1200G+ is the default router provided by M1.

2.4GHz N around 80Mbps on laptop with mobile devices connected.

5GHz AC around 310Mbps on laptop with mobile devices connected as well.

My broadband is 300Mbps plan, so the 5GHz one can actually be able to handle speeds higher than that, around 380Mbps-400Mbps as seen in some reviews.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am on 100 Mbps only. :D

I can achieve 100 Mbps under both frequencies in the living room.

In the MBR which is the farthest separated by 2 walls and closed doors, I can achieve about 60Mbps under 2.4G.

Linda Lew

Reaction score
Anyone want to take over Singtel corporate broadband 60Mbps unlimited for $30/month. Actual price is $99/mth. About 9 more mths contract.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.