Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Huawei HG256 Residential Gateway for fibre broadband

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Huawei HG256 Residential Gateway for fibre broadband

Does HG256 support WPA2?

The setup guide - http://m1.com.sg/fibre/setup.pdf only show WPA and ask user to change WPA Pre-shared key.

Anyone knows where to get the full HG256 manual or can post more web admin screens of HG256 to let us see all its configurable features?

Btw, what other wireless router can be used to connect to fibre modem? Need any password or special settings?
antivirus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

My manual doesn't say anything about WPA, WPA2 or WEP. At the bottom of the HG only have the default WPA key.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #3

weird router, when i try to connect it with starhub it cant connect to the internet
DatteBay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

weird router, when i try to connect it with starhub it cant connect to the internet
Same issue as what I experienced.
ahtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Master Member

The HG works as a gateway + router, something like a cable modem + router with mac address locking. So without proper packet with mac address authentication, it will not work.
Lucky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

The HG works as a gateway + router, something like a cable modem + router with mac address locking. So without proper packet with mac address authentication, it will not work.
No wonder when my friend and I go sign up together, the CSO took out 2 HGs but wrote our names there so would not get mixed up. At that time I thought 'isn't all HGs the same?', now then I know why.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwid...60&treeId=2872
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

thks for the links

btw any links for the ONT?

Last edited by chunlianghere; 04-09-2010 at 04:09 PM..
chunlianghere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #9

when i log in to the config, can change to wpa2. hmm can explain why wpa2 is better?
chins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #10

when i log in to the config, can change to wpa2. hmm can explain why wpa2 is better?
802.11i supersedes the previous security specification, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), which was shown to have severe security weaknesses. Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) had previously been introduced by the Wi-Fi Alliance as an intermediate solution to WEP insecurities. WPA implemented a subset of 802.11i. The Wi-Fi Alliance refers to their approved, interoperable implementation of the full 802.11i as WPA2, also called RSN (Robust Security Network). 802.11i makes use of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) block cipher, whereas WEP and WPA use the RC4 stream cipher.

Source: Wikipedia
wj.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hmmm... That means there is NAC or NAP. Interesting.

Does it means every time we the consumer upgrade to newer hardware, we need to inform the RSP in order to update the NAP to new Mac address? That would means there is lead time to provision the new Mac address and in directly causing anti-competition in the SOHO networking market as I m sure some consumers will find it leche and indirectly deter them to buy newer routers unless necessary.

Last edited by chaicka; 04-09-2010 at 06:21 PM..
chaicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #12

wah cheem.. what m1 told me was the RG is entirely optional. if you are not getting the voip, you are free to use whatever router you have. just plug direct to the ONT.

now i am really kind of regretting getting the RG. not sure of how good the wireless performance is. no pt getting a 100mbps plan, but the wlan sucks. anyone has any reviews of the RG. Not sure if i shd just return it and buy a good router instead.
chins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

wah cheem.. what m1 told me was the RG is entirely optional. if you are not getting the voip, you are free to use whatever router you have. just plug direct to the ONT.

now i am really kind of regretting getting the RG. not sure of how good the wireless performance is. no pt getting a 100mbps plan, but the wlan sucks. anyone has any reviews of the RG. Not sure if i shd just return it and buy a good router instead.
Optional? For me the CSO just take it for me without asking
Old 04-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #14

Hmmm... That means there is NAC or NAP. Interesting.

Does it means every time we the consumer upgrade to newer hardware, we need to inform the RSP in order to update the NAP to new Mac address? That would means there is lead time to provision the new Mac address and in directly causing anti-competition in the SOHO networking market as I m sure some consumers will find it leche and indirectly deter them to buy newer routers unless necessary.
some SOHO routers are capable of mac spoofing (=
etherealism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well, all these are part and puzzle of being the pilots of any new service that the telcos dish out.
chaicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.