HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Huawei HG256s + Access point

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Huawei HG256s + Access point

I have a Huawei HG256s at home and currently using starhub max infinity ultimate (Up to 100 MBPS download speed)

I'm very concerned about the speed as I get only 5-15 Mbps download speed (Result from speedtest.net) from my room, whereas I get 60 Mbps when i place my laptop just next to the router, the thing is I would work MOST OF THE TIME inside my room that is pretty far away from the router

I think of all possible solutions and there were some IMPOSSIBLE solutions too according to my circumstances, so now the best solution is to get a 3rd party access point and connect it with my huawei HG256s

My question is : Will this work? And particularly which Wireless N access point (dual band if possible ) can offer me this powerful wireless signal that does not drop my speed so significantly like huawei HG256s does ?

I want at least 50 MBps download speed from speedtest.net , and from my room
please help me out =(
sandqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #2

this is why I'm pissed that starhub insists on selling all-in-ones.. I just want the damned fibre modem that I can arrange it anyway I like. Anyway how far is your room? Is it walls? can move the router so that it's less blocked?
Old 31-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

I have a Huawei HG256s at home and currently using starhub max infinity ultimate (Up to 100 MBPS download speed)

I'm very concerned about the speed as I get only 5-15 Mbps download speed (Result from speedtest.net) from my room, whereas I get 60 Mbps when i place my laptop just next to the router, the thing is I would work MOST OF THE TIME inside my room that is pretty far away from the router

I think of all possible solutions and there were some IMPOSSIBLE solutions too according to my circumstances, so now the best solution is to get a 3rd party access point and connect it with my huawei HG256s

My question is : Will this work? And particularly which Wireless N access point (dual band if possible ) can offer me this powerful wireless signal that does not drop my speed so significantly like huawei HG256s does ?

I want at least 50 MBps download speed from speedtest.net , and from my room
please help me out =(
homeplugs.~ with or without wireless feature.~

dual band with not help much on the speed you want.
Frontiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

Getting 50Mbps from speedtest servers does not mean anything nor affect your actual experience when there are many other sites that cant give you this rate even.

If you want the speed, you should consider wire. It is not impossible at all, just get a electrician as a contractor to lay the wire and drill where necessary.
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #5

hi all,

I am borrowing this old thread as I am facing similar issue now. I just got my m1 fiber that cames with the RG. I have an existing Belkin N router and I want to use to expand my network coverage - bcos using the HG256 alone is not enough to reach my bedroom.

Frankly speaking, even though I have a few articles or searches on the internet on the definition of AP, repeater or bridge. I still dn't quite draw the differences. They seem like the same thing using different jargons. ie, repeater - repeating the signals to expand coverage, bridging 2 networks, or AP, etc.

For the past 3 nights, I tried and unsuccessfully setting my Belkin as an AP - my Belkin only have AP mode available. I followed the instruction provided here.

SpeedGuide.net :: How to set a Wireless Router as an Access Point

The basis idea is that from

HG256 (for living rm) ---wireless to --- Belkin as AP (for bedrms)

The settings I tried so far are:

HG256
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: 192.168.1.15 to 192.168.1.254
SSID XXX

Belkin
AP mode
IP: 192.168.1.2
SSID: ABC (tried XXX also)

My observation was that when I connect my HG256 to Belkin via cable lan-lan port. I was able to access both HG256 and Belkin admin page respectively as well as internet access. But once I plug the cable out, I can still connect to Belkin router but no internet access.

What went wrong? I really appreciate any constructive advices and instruction as this is my 3rd unsuccessful attempts. I am reluntant to spend unnecessary cash on additional device if my existing N router can be configured to do the job. In the worst case situation, I will consider homeplugs or wired the hse.. which at this point, that's what I am trying to avoid.

Thank you in advance!
linzw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Correct what
Must have a wire to link from main router to extension AP.

Else how would the AP obtain its uplink connection?
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #7

hi all,

I am borrowing this old thread as I am facing similar issue now. I just got my m1 fiber that cames with the RG. I have an existing Belkin N router and I want to use to expand my network coverage - bcos using the HG256 alone is not enough to reach my bedroom.

Frankly speaking, even though I have a few articles or searches on the internet on the definition of AP, repeater or bridge. I still dn't quite draw the differences. They seem like the same thing using different jargons. ie, repeater - repeating the signals to expand coverage, bridging 2 networks, or AP, etc.

For the past 3 nights, I tried and unsuccessfully setting my Belkin as an AP - my Belkin only have AP mode available. I followed the instruction provided here.

SpeedGuide.net :: How to set a Wireless Router as an Access Point

The basis idea is that from

HG256 (for living rm) ---wireless to --- Belkin as AP (for bedrms)

The settings I tried so far are:

HG256
IP: 192.168.1.1
DHCP: 192.168.1.15 to 192.168.1.254
SSID XXX

Belkin
AP mode
IP: 192.168.1.2
SSID: ABC (tried XXX also)

My observation was that when I connect my HG256 to Belkin via cable lan-lan port. I was able to access both HG256 and Belkin admin page respectively as well as internet access. But once I plug the cable out, I can still connect to Belkin router but no internet access.

What went wrong? I really appreciate any constructive advices and instruction as this is my 3rd unsuccessful attempts. I am reluntant to spend unnecessary cash on additional device if my existing N router can be configured to do the job. In the worst case situation, I will consider homeplugs or wired the hse.. which at this point, that's what I am trying to avoid.

Thank you in advance!
I assue you trying to do a wireless bridge?
Belkin, set the Gateway to 192.168.1.1, DHCP off

My advise would be to get a pair of homeplugs (500Meg ver)

TP-->ONT-->Homeplug-->Homeplug-->Belkin ==(Wireless)==> Clients
This configuration will give u better speed.
Loirev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #8

I assue you trying to do a wireless bridge?
Belkin, set the Gateway to 192.168.1.1, DHCP off

My advise would be to get a pair of homeplugs (500Meg ver)

TP-->ONT-->Homeplug-->Homeplug-->Belkin ==(Wireless)==> Clients
This configuration will give u better speed.
ya.. btw, there is no homeplug that is ONT --> HG256--> wireless to homeplug? one of my reservation for using homeplug is that where my HG256 and ONT is, there is no wall socket.. its powered by extension cord.. i read somewhere homeplug is not that effective on extension cord...

Correct what
Must have a wire to link from main router to extension AP.

Else how would the AP obtain its uplink connection?
ya.. crap, i just read another article and i think i understand "AP" better now.. it needs to be wired..
linzw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.