HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Huawei HG256s Home Gateway performaces

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Huawei HG256s Home Gateway(Next Gen NBN)

Hi guys and ladies,

I just got the Starhub 100mbs Max infinity plan installed for about a week.

The speed is pretty fast if u connect straight to the Hua Wei HG256s router using LAN cable.However, i did not really get 100mbs out of it, but a value of around 89MBs(Download) and 42 Mbs(Upload) using speedtest.com.sg after a week of using .Do note that this is the best value i can achieve so far.

On the date of installation , the staff from Starhub tested 89Mbs(Download) and 30mbs(Upload) speed which is still pretty reasonable.

However, for Wifi, it's a different experiences. I am quite disappointed with the HG 256s homegateway and couldn't get a very good speed out it. The value fluctuate around 26mbs for download, 25mbs for upload when i place my netbook which has a wireless n adapater inbuild into it right next to the Huawei HG 256s. The purpose is to make sure it has excellent signal strengtht without debat.

To be fair, i also make use of my desktop and another fujitsu laptop to test the Wifi. Also bought 4 Wireless USB adapater for testing purposes.

1)TP Link 300 Mbs High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter
2)TP Link 150 Mbs High Power Wireless N Lite USB Adapter
3)DLink Wireless 150 USB adapter DWA 125
4)Asus USB N-13 300mbs 802.11b.g/n Wireless USB adapter.

All of the Wifi adapter get similar results.The Wifi download speed can never pass the 30mbs mark for download speed from the result of my testing and after 1 week of usage.
I was expecting a value much higher from Wifi, thus i was disappointed.

It is only through reading the earlier forum written by trial uses that realise that Hua Wei 256s wifi performance may not be up to the mark yet, as compared to other more mature router.

Thus, to overide the weak wifi performance from the HG 256s router, i am looking at getting Aztech Home plug to get the max speed out of the router at this coming Sitex fair.

Well, if others fiber optics users using HG 256s can get better performaces out of the router Wifi, capability,kindly share it with us.

Best Regards

Tonight518

Last edited by tonight518; 22-11-2010 at 12:05 PM..
tonight518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #2

Check your wireless adapter setups.

Even on the much maligned HG256, I can get very high download on wireless (over 50Mbps if I recall), _BUT_ only when the laptop is not more than 5m from the router. This drops dramatically with distance, unlike other (good) routers, and that is the major issue with the HG256.

If you can't get over 30Mbps with all those high-spec routers, something is wrong with the setup. Are you sure that the PCs you are using have wireless-N, and that they're connecting in N mode?
mervin_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

i disabled the wifi in huawei, and connected a wireless access point to it instead.
cyberet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Hey mervin_b,

Thanks for your post. Yup, i am very sure that i have wireless n activated on the home gateway configuration page 192.168.1.1

1)Mode 802.11 n
2)Channel: 9 ( Cause no one using the channel in the neighbouhood, also tried channel 2.)
(Channel 11, lot of users in the neighbourhood)

3)Transmit power: 20 dbm(1-20 dbm) ( That's the max)
4):BandWidth: 20/40 MHz

With Wireless n on, i can see a slight incease in the mbs, but difinitely can;t get 40mbs, not to mention pass 50 mbs.

However, i have switch back to mix channel mode 802.11 b/g/n. Cause my family uses iphone 3Gs. If switch to channel n , can't join the network. So, i have to switch back to mix mode.

Best Regards

Tonight518

Last edited by tonight518; 22-11-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Old 22-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Have u tried RJ45 from Huawei(WLan off) to another router before broadcasting out the network??
Gixxerfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #6

Hi All,

any idea is there a port forwarding feature on this router HG256s?

would you mind to briefly list out the steps here,

do appreciate your help

thank you
d24roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #7

Huawei HG256s Home Gateway(Starhub) +Linksys Wireless N Access Point with Dual Band

Hi guys and ladies,

With references to my earlier post which i mentioned that i experience very slow wifi speed when utlilizing Huawei HG256s router for about a week after signing up with Starhub 100Mbs Max Infinity plan .

I follow some of the more experiences guys method and disable the Huawei HG 256s Wifi and connect it with my own access point The access point i purchase from Sim Lim Square was LinkSys Wiress-N Access Point with Dual Band WAP 610N.

Sadly, the access point wasn't cheap. Some of the shop was selling at around $124++. I manage to get is at $109(Discounted:Cash or Net only) and decided to get it although it just one day before the sitex fair. I figure out it should be more or less around the same price even at the fair.

Well, i was able to attain around at least 60 mbs download speed, 25 mbs upload using the access point from my room which is located on the second floor .

Am pretty happy with the results compared with my previous results with Hua Wei HG 256s.I couldn't even get pass 30mbs(download) even with the computer place right beside the router. Its always around 25mbs.(download).

As for the wifi usb adapter, i use the 150 Mbs High Power Wireless USB Adapater from TP link.

Well, i hope my post will be useful. However, i must make it clear that i do not guarantee that it will work for u. Hope u guys and ladies will have fun with high speed internet surfing.

Best Regards

Tonight518.

Last edited by tonight518; 24-11-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Old 24-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #8

good post, its prove that the HG 256 sucks. i using it with m1, going to return it and use my own router...lol
bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
High Honorary Member

disable QOS maybe can help for huawei~
mosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #10

good post, its prove that the HG 256 sucks. i using it with m1, going to return it and use my own router...lol
Then any idea which router to recommend ? Aztech the 7000series or cisco the 2000 model ?
18luohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #11

Hey mervin_b,

Thanks for your post. Yup, i am very sure that i have wireless n activated on the home gateway configuration page 192.168.1.1

1)Mode 802.11 n
2)Channel: 9 ( Cause no one using the channel in the neighbouhood, also tried channel 2.)

With Wireless n on, i can see a slight incease in the mbs, but difinitely can;t get 40mbs, not to mention pass 50 mbs.

However, i have switch back to mix channel mode 802.11 b/g/n. Cause my family uses iphone 3Gs. If switch to channel n , can't join the network. So, i have to switch back to mix mode.

Best Regards

Tonight518
how to know the number of ppl using a particular channel?
ideatalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #12

TRy Using NetStumbler to check which channel around your area is more advisable.
JeNoVa-IcHiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #13

hmm, seem i'm unable to connect to internet after i swapped huawei RG with Aztech GR7000. I think Starhub is using Static IP for it optic fibre?
18luohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hey mervin_b,

1)Mode 802.11 n

Best Regards

Tonight518
There is suppose to release a new firmware to fix some of the problem with this router. However, M1 has some problem to push down the firmware to mine and till now still no new on status of upgrade.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #15

Hi guys and ladies,

I just got the Starhub 100mbs Max infinity plan installed for about a week.

The speed is pretty fast if u connect straight to the Hua Wei HG256s router using LAN cable.However, i did not really get 100mbs out of it, but a value of around 89MBs(Download) and 42 Mbs(Upload) using speedtest.com.sg after a week of using .Do note that this is the best value i can achieve so far.

On the date of installation , the staff from Starhub tested 89Mbs(Download) and 30mbs(Upload) speed which is still pretty reasonable.

However, for Wifi, it's a different experiences. I am quite disappointed with the HG 256s homegateway and couldn't get a very good speed out it. The value fluctuate around 26mbs for download, 25mbs for upload when i place my netbook which has a wireless n adapater inbuild into it right next to the Huawei HG 256s. The purpose is to make sure it has excellent signal strengtht without debat.

To be fair, i also make use of my desktop and another fujitsu laptop to test the Wifi. Also bought 4 Wireless USB adapater for testing purposes.

1)TP Link 300 Mbs High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter
2)TP Link 150 Mbs High Power Wireless N Lite USB Adapter
3)DLink Wireless 150 USB adapter DWA 125
4)Asus USB N-13 300mbs 802.11b.g/n Wireless USB adapter.

All of the Wifi adapter get similar results.The Wifi download speed can never pass the 30mbs mark for download speed from the result of my testing and after 1 week of usage.
I was expecting a value much higher from Wifi, thus i was disappointed.

It is only through reading the earlier forum written by trial uses that realise that Hua Wei 256s wifi performance may not be up to the mark yet, as compared to other more mature router.

Thus, to overide the weak wifi performance from the HG 256s router, i am looking at getting Aztech Home plug to get the max speed out of the router at this coming Sitex fair.

Well, if others fiber optics users using HG 256s can get better performaces out of the router Wifi, capability,kindly share it with us.

Best Regards

Tonight518
Need help
I am using starhub max infinity ultimate (up to 100 MBPS dl speed)
But I am only getting at most 18 Mbps and an average 10-12 MBPS download speed from my room
Huawei HG256s is about 5 metre away
And when I try to move my sis laptop next to the router
I get about 56 MBPS from speedtest.net
When i use the lan cable i can get up to 70-80 MBPS

Tonight518 I did not understand when you say you were connecting to the access point which is on the second floor
were you on the second floor too and in ur room too? or were you on the first floor

Cause i've thought of using your solution, but I don't know if it will make a difference since I am not using the internet next to the router..

Thanks before
sandqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.