Reaction score
Just installed this afternoon.
Wired speed is very good but wireless speed is ...... :(

speedtest.net/result/2104177433.png

My router is Linksys E1200 .
Network Mode is Mixed .
Security mode : WPA2/WPA mixed mode.

Any1 can help me make it better :)

wireless is highy deoend on the area around it snf signal noise and range ad interferance and also your client network card too

on my cable modem 16mb plan wired
on wrieless
on my Mac book pro I can reach similar speed as my wired too
on 2.4 or 5ghz band on my engenious dualbsnd router

so u need to prvlovide more into your setup
but if your wired speed is good itvusualy not m1 fault

rhema83

Reaction score

Setup:
Huawei ONT
TP-Link WDR4300 (450Mbps@5GHz) router
TP-Link WDN4800 (450Mbps@5GHz) PCIE card
Channel: Auto (note: my WLAN is the only 5GHz network in the vicinity)
Width: Auto (note: normally 40MHz since there is no interference)
Security: WPA2-PSK (AES)

Looks like I have hit some kind of wall (literally and figuratively). I am having a very hard time breaking the 80Mbps barrier for both download and upload, although I have come close.

I don't think there is a problem with the fiber connection upstream. When the technician came to install the ONT (on a Monday morning), I plugged in my laptop to test the connection before he left. I actually managed to hit 101Mbps down and 98Mbps up. Maybe it was because it was off-peak, but a 20Mbps shortfall is quite significant. I will plug in my laptop directly to the ONT and test again tonight, but I doubt it is the bottleneck.

Using inSSIDer, I find that my signal is around -78dB and the nearest neighbor is around -86dB. Not very good in my view. I am thinking of either relocating my router or elevating it for better reception. Both involves buying a longer fiber optic patch cable and building some kind of small rack for the router. It's hammer time, I guess? Would that help?

Any other advice from the seniors here?

Last edited:

gapboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u want to preserve ur current setup. then do this lor.

white ont ->RG->own router->PCs/Notebooks/Handphones.....etcs
RG->telephone for voice

White ONT > ??? > Wireless N device

If i want to buy a better N router on my White ONT (Huawei) which one is better to get and compatible? Cisco?

Generally if the above configuration what is the best speed most people will get on Wireless N Device

Last edited:

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
White ONT > ??? > Wireless N device

If i want to buy a better N router on my White ONT (Huawei) which one is better to get and compatible? Cisco?

Generally if the above configuration what is the best speed most people will get on Wireless N Device

i tink the white ONT is the oder one mean must go via RG then go router lor

unless u can go m1 ask for the black all in one ONT with router and voice
rhen u can use the new black ONT to router to computer

bboyirving

Reaction score
thanks ahwise for the great services. changed my internet to fibre on the 6th aug.

previously was using 10mbps broadband. can feel the huge difference immediately.

my desktop is smooth. getting 99mbps at speedtest. wired connection.

however, my lap top is getting dc every once in awhile when playing game. can anyone advise about the settings? im like just behind a wall away from my router.

thanks in advance.

gapboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i tink the white ONT is the oder one mean must go via RG then go router lor

unless u can go m1 ask for the black all in one ONT with router and voice
rhen u can use the new black ONT to router to computer

hi pker88 can you let me know the difference in white ONT and black one.. I can call M1 to ask .. but they will sure ask me why i want to change ?

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
The black ONT is essentially the White ONT + RG integrated.

You can connect your router directly to the back ONT and still use the voice service.

If you have a white ONT and want voice service, must have RG.

White ONT without voice service connect straight to router (this is my setup)

gapboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks SiaoAngmoh .. whats RG intergrated (RG stands for)?

Is this black ONT a newer model over white one? I think they tend to give the white one more

Loirev

Reaction score
thanks SiaoAngmoh .. whats RG intergrated (RG stands for)?

Is this black ONT a newer model over white one? I think they tend to give the white one more

RG stands for Residential Gateway.

M1 now only issue the black ONT.

The black ONT is without the wireless, purely a "modem".
Is better that way, you can use your own preferred router. (Pls buy a good one)

The black ONT is not a newer model, cause the old one is obsolete.
It is because it using the M1 infrastructure on the backend.
The earlier batch of users is given the white ONT from NC (Nucleus Connect). That is before M1 setup their own Op-Co. I believe they will switch their existing users on white ONT gradually.

Last edited:

gapboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RG stands for Residential Gateway.

M1 now only issue the black ONT.

The black ONT is without the wireless, purely a "modem".
Is better that way, you can use your own preferred router. (Pls buy a good one)

The black ONT is not a newer model, cause the old one is obsolete.
It is because it using the M1 infrastructure on the backend.
The earlier batch of users is given the white ONT from NC (Nucleus Connect). That is before M1 setup their own Op-Co. I believe they will switch their existing users on white ONT gradually.

TQ they said they are unable to change unless they terminate my services and re-enabled again .. and early termination charges are involve... not much of an option unless i do not want the RG service

thanks

mbgeow

Reaction score
TQ they said they are unable to change unless they terminate my services and re-enabled again .. and early termination charges are involve... not much of an option unless i do not want the RG service

thanks

u mean now u using the white ONT neculcus connect and wan to change to the black ONT cant change r ??

gapboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u mean now u using the white ONT neculcus connect and wan to change to the black ONT cant change r ??

yep .. as the only way to do it is to terminate your account and reactivate so they can give the black ont.... also early termination fees applies...

using own router is possible on white ont but looses your RG and $2/mth rental router from them as you need to return

mbgeow

Reaction score
i check with m1 shop guys they told me that my area not covered for the digital voice service so i cannot get the RG yet leh..

how come like that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.