M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION / NETWORKING SETUP / INFO / PROMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhWise

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on the 100mbps plan and my wireless speed dl 22.8mbps, ul 19.88mbps. is this normal?

also, I don't really like to huawei black router. Any better router i can change to that is also able to use the digital home line? Thx alot guys for your help.

need to know what router you are using. Huawei black ONT is fixed, problem lies on router, not the ont (modem).

try test direct from your ont you see the difference in speed.

sAxmanSSD

Reaction score
SO what's the M1 throttle speed on BT during peak hour?

Actually what's the advantage of NGNBN vs Starhub Cable?

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
SO what's the M1 throttle speed on BT during peak hour?

Actually what's the advantage of NGNBN vs Starhub Cable?

I can't remember the figure. Some bro did mention it somewhere in this thread. Try to find it bah.

Ngnbn vs cable --> different technology.

Fiber--> subscribe to 100mbps, u get 100mbps local speed.
Cable --> subscribe to 100mbps, u share this 100mbps local with whoever is using it as well. Conservative calculation, u share this 100mbps with every other household using cable in the same Hdb block. Go figure how much bandwidth each household gets.

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
i'm sorry, but what exactly is throttle BT?
i might be signing m1's 3 month promo tomorrow to test out their fibre bb.

hope anyone can enlighten whether choosing MR or M1 is a wiser choice in terms of international download speeds.
frequently torrent and watch shows online so which would be better for a user like me?

Throttling = limiting the bandwidth
Bt = BitTorrent

Most pple go for high speed bandwidth so that they can download stuff from the Internet quickly. And most pple do this via bt. Thus most pple are concerned about bt throttling.

For your case, you won't be concerned when watching shows online but you'll b concerned about the bt throttling.

howie.tan83

Reaction score
need to know what router you are using. Huawei black ONT is fixed, problem lies on router, not the ont (modem).

try test direct from your ont you see the difference in speed.

I'm using D-link DIR-825. also, i cant detect the 5Ghz SSID on my com or ps3. anybody can help?

Tried with direct connection and got dl 57mbps, ul 76mbps. is this considered ok? how come i see ppl close to 90+mbps?

Last edited:

sAxmanSSD

Reaction score
I can't remember the figure. Some bro did mention it somewhere in this thread. Try to find it bah.

Ngnbn vs cable --> different technology.

Fiber--> subscribe to 100mbps, u get 100mbps local speed.
Cable --> subscribe to 100mbps, u share this 100mbps local with whoever is using it as well. Conservative calculation, u share this 100mbps with every other household using cable in the same Hdb block. Go figure how much bandwidth each household gets.

Actually I heard about that big "fat" pipe story b4..... So it depends on how many people in the same block subscribing to it? But the issue is, who gets more and who gets less?

Can we get any statistics from Starhub regarding how many subscribers are there in my block?

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Throttling = limiting the bandwidth
Bt = BitTorrent

Most pple go for high speed bandwidth so that they can download stuff from the Internet quickly. And most pple do this via bt. Thus most pple are concerned about bt throttling.

For your case, you won't be concerned when watching shows online but you'll b concerned about the bt throttling.

when you stream shows. eg, via megavideo last time, what can one do to increase the streamed speeds.

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually I heard about that big "fat" pipe story b4..... So it depends on how many people in the same block subscribing to it? But the issue is, who gets more and who gets less?

Can we get any statistics from Starhub regarding how many subscribers are there in my block?

I'm just using a block as an example. In real life, i believe its more than just a block.

fat green pipe, fat hope of starhub releasing any facts to you.

In my experience, a 3mbps ADSL line wins even the 100mpbs fat green pipe.

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
when you stream shows. eg, via megavideo last time, what can one do to increase the streamed speeds.

you can't. its the server end that's controlling this.

must always remember this fact: even if you have a 100mbps overseas link, the server may not be serving you at 100mpbs.
Note: the figures are only for example.

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm using D-link DIR-825. also, i cant detect the 5Ghz SSID on my com or ps3. anybody can help?

Tried with direct connection and got dl 57mbps, ul 76mbps. is this considered ok? how come i see ppl close to 90+mbps?

update dlink firmware. update all your lan adapters drivers. then test again.

bear in mind encryption (wep/wpa/wpa2 + mac filtering + # of ports opened) adds to the load on your router. this may also be a cause of your slow link.

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I using TP-Link WR841N router, is a wireless N 300mbps router. I bought at challenger for $44 after discount.
huat ah!!!

pker88 also using M1 fibre?? what router are u using??

me sign up but waiting for m1 to come setup lor
i prepared this

ESR600H | EnGenius Networks Singapore Pte Ltd
esr600h-hires-website.jpg

notbad ofr u to achieve good speed on your TPlink too

fast is good but more stable is more impt lor
i hope m1 wont fails me hahaha even is one of the lowrst fibre priced provider in SG
as compare to VQ or MR

ziyouren

Reaction score
me sign up but waiting for m1 to come setup lor
i prepared this

ESR600H | EnGenius Networks Singapore Pte Ltd
esr600h-hires-website.jpg

notbad ofr u to achieve good speed on your TPlink too

fast is good but more stable is more impt lor
i hope m1 wont fails me hahaha even is one of the lowrst fibre priced provider in SG
as compare to VQ or MR

Wah, your router very fierce ler!! I guess your wireless coverage will be very good!!

My TP-Link router's wireless coverage not very good. My laptop cannot connect to my wifi network when in my bedroom. My router is in the living room.

But anyway, the router so cheap liao, so don't expect good performance lar. Never disconnect is good enough for me liao..
huat ah!!

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah, your router very fierce ler!! I guess your wireless coverage will be very good!!

My TP-Link router's wireless coverage not very good. My laptop cannot connect to my wifi network when in my bedroom. My router is in the living room.

But anyway, the router so cheap liao, so don't expect good performance lar. Never disconnect is good enough for me liao..
huat ah!!

ya this engeniuos i put in my bedroom
and all my 3 bedrom can coonect plus living hall
only weakness is the kitcchen toliet only
unless i swtich to 2.4 ghz then is range is more
5ghz is more shorter but lesser interfrance from others user as all my area is usuing 2.4ghz
u can do a scan too so u know around your home neifbour is using what type of wifi network so u can have more clean wifi reecpetions

as 2.4ghz freq is quite commo used around our home
so the freq is not as clean and heavy congrested

wiat for the end of august pcshow
i brought mine at $139 but now simlim selling $169 i think

howie.tan83

Reaction score
update dlink firmware. update all your lan adapters drivers. then test again.

bear in mind encryption (wep/wpa/wpa2 + mac filtering + # of ports opened) adds to the load on your router. this may also be a cause of your slow link.

Would you recommend I change to Asus RT-N66, ignoring the price. Would I get better speed? Considering the fact that DIR-825 is a old model. Also is connecting thru 5Ghz going to give you better speed?

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would you recommend I change to Asus RT-N66, ignoring the price. Would I get better speed? Considering the fact that DIR-825 is a old model. Also is connecting thru 5Ghz going to give you better speed?

i'm on Singtel's 100mbps, bought a N66u and got 103mbps via wireless on 5ghz band about 1 door away.

howie.tan83

Reaction score
i'm on Singtel's 100mbps, bought a N66u and got 103mbps via wireless on 5ghz band about 1 door away.

Ok. That really shows the capabilities of this router. However, last nite when I do a speed test thru wired connection, I only got 90. Does it mean the speed to my unit is already less than 90 and can never hit 100?

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok. That really shows the capabilities of this router. However, last nite when I do a speed test thru wired connection, I only got 90. Does it mean the speed to my unit is already less than 90 and can never hit 100?

if you connect via wired to the lan port of your n66u you can't achieve 100, means your wireless will never reach there as well, because the speeds your router itself is getting cant even reach 100. but honestly, 90 and 100, no diff. :vijayadmin:

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ya Asus n56 66
famed for it performance
I still waiting for mu fibre to be wired up from m1 then test my engernius wifi see now good or not as I test my cable is as good as my wired

using. both 2.4 and 5ghz freq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.