HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #511

Hi Guys,

Kindly advise which will be better for my home.
Originally considering 500 Mbps M1 but after reading some forum comments, seems that 500 Mbps plan has a greater reduction in speed compared to 1 Gbps plan for international surfing?

M1's plan is to top up $5 per month for a router? can we opt out of the router and buy our own router outside? (and save some money per month or get faster internet speed) (because $5 x 24 months = $120 is about the cost of a new router outside?)

What about the other 2 telcos? Worth considering their equivalent plans?

For routers, if we just use their default routers, is the internet browsing and download speed still acceptable? Or should we pay more for the routers to get significantly more speed?
Most if not almost all content are local or have local POP / CDN / servers now a days. Unless you seek very specific content it won't matter much.
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #512
Master Member

Hi Guys,

Originally considering 500 Mbps M1 but after reading some forum comments, seems that 500 Mbps plan has a greater reduction in speed compared to 1 Gbps plan for international surfing?

M1's plan is to top up $5 per month for a router? can we opt out of the router and buy our own router outside? (and save some money per month or get faster internet speed) (because $5 x 24 months = $120 is about the cost of a new router outside?)

For routers, if we just use their default routers, is the internet browsing and download speed still acceptable? Or should we pay more for the routers to get significantly more speed?
The 300/500Mbps Fibre pay $5/mth for the router, while 1Gbps Fibre is included alr.

You can use other generic routers (Linksys/ASUS/D-Link/Xiaomi etc), but of course not routers specifically for other ISPs (SingNet / MyRepublic especially).

The included router can get up to 400Mbps over 2X2 802.11ac clients, >950Mbps on LAN (Ethernet).
lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #513
Arch-Supremacy Member

Depends on your needs. M1 has the flexibility of using any router I causing wifi meshes. M1 also bundling velop with their service and you can connect it directly to ont and it functions like a router. Also, not forgetting other models from Asus or tplink..

But must also remember that good wifi routers outside can never be as cheap as $120 arh..

Hi Guys,

renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #514
Arch-Supremacy Member

The SurfValue 500MB will be free throughout the Fibre contract, its only when you're out of the contract then it'll be chargeable at $8/mth, but if you're out of the Fibre contract you can just call in to remove the SurfValue line.

The home line will be included with M1 number instead, and you can just don't plug in to use anyway.

However, why use the SingTel analog line when you can save a lot of money when using the free M1 digital line with unlimited local calls? Electricity cost way less than the quarterly subscription and usage charges of the SingTel analog line.

The router Erm its up to you, I'm actually still using my ASUS RT-N66U as the main router (for routing and VPN Server) and the RT-AC1200G+ as the main AP. There's one more Low speed Low power AP for the master bedroom for my parents to stream videos.
Parents still wanna use the same no. and not change it...Its rarely used anyway...

But can the digital line retain same analog number i have now?
shadow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #515

Can any 1 Gbps or faster M1 user run speedtests to USA servers again please.

For 500 Mbps, tonight's speed has dropped further :

ntec66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #516
Master Member

Parents still wanna use the same no. and not change it...Its rarely used anyway...

But can the digital line retain same analog number i have now?
Yes you can. I ported my SingTel Analog line to M1 Digital line when I signed up for M1 Fibre since 2011, till now still foc.
lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #517

Can any 1 Gbps or faster M1 user run speedtests to USA servers again please.

For 500 Mbps, tonight's speed has dropped further :

LA - Speedtest

LA - QuadraNet, Inc
Old 13-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #518
Arch-Supremacy Member

I don't see a rationale for doing speed tests against a foreign server to judge on the speed.

Nothing will be changing no matter how many speed tests you do..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 02:22 AM   #519

Thanks Grift, your 1 Gbps still very good.

Can you or anyone on 1 Gbps further test with actual downloads from LA servers:

Grab this simple tool...
- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/download_speed_tester.html
copy-paste the above addresses into it and run.

my 500Mbps:

Old 14-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #520
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes you can. I ported my SingTel Analog line to M1 Digital line when I signed up for M1 Fibre since 2011, till now still foc.
Thats good to know, will propose this to parents when the time comes.

Thanks for your efforts in answering my questions.
Old 14-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #521
Supremacy Member

Thanks Grift, your 1 Gbps still very good.

Can you or anyone on 1 Gbps further test with actual downloads from LA servers:

Grab this simple tool...
- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/download_speed_tester.html
copy-paste the above addresses into it and run.

my 500Mbps:

TBH, M1 speed should be quite ok. Better ask M1 for help.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #522

TBH, M1 speed should be quite ok. Better ask M1 for help.
Yes waiting M1 reply but also how fast can your 1 Gbps download from those US sites?

Old 14-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #523
Supremacy Member

Yes waiting M1 reply but also how fast can your 1 Gbps download from those US sites?
I am using gaming notebook so not as powerful as gaming desktop computer. In the real world i can only get 40 to 50% of my speed.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #524

What kind of actual content are you consuming from the US
Old 14-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #525

There's an activation fee of $30+ for the digital line right? Do you know of anyone who got it waived?
Sadist4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.