LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
High Supremacy Member

Hmmm right now on the huawei i did...
1. disable wlan
2. firewall disabled
3. QoS disabled
4. USB Port disabled
5. UPnP enabled (should i disable this too?)

Anything from the routing/NAT/IGMP section that I have to take note of?
Thanks for the quick reply as always, Gixxerfied!
Camping in hwz lorx..That's why so fast..

1-4 is confirm.

5 and the rest, let me check my settings when i'm home tonight..Probably able to reply back at around 8..
Gixxerfied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Master Member

Camping in hwz lorx..That's why so fast..

1-4 is confirm.

5 and the rest, let me check my settings when i'm home tonight..Probably able to reply back at around 8..
Haha thanks! I'll start camping this topic again at around 8 for your reply =D
HeCToR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
High Supremacy Member

Haha thanks! I'll start camping this topic again at around 8 for your reply =D
- UPnP Enabled
- Static Routing: All blank except Interface which is check & WAN2_INTERNET in field
Dynamic Routing: Operation = Passive, Version = Off
- NAT
ALG: All check except Enable SIP ALG
DMZ: Blank
Port Mapping: Up to individual needs
Port Triggering: Up to individual needs
- IGMP: Snooping Enabled, the other disabled.
Old 28-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
Master Member

oops I think i did something wrong in the configuration of my 2nd router.

i was able to access 192.168.1.1 (the huawei router)
and 192.168.1.2 (the dlink dir-825)

but there is no access to the internet (desktop was plugged into the port of the dir-825)

Old 28-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
Master Member

okay I solved my problem, everything is working perfectly now (i hope)

changed the DHCP to "DHCP Forwarder" and the DHCP server to the HG256's IP address

set operating mode to "router" and dynamic routing to "LAN &WLAN"

I can rest in peace now (pun intended), still gotta tidy up the cat5e cables tomorrow for CNY! =D
Old 28-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #21
High Supremacy Member

new speedtest results with the updated firmware:

looking good =D, anyway, what are some of the things that I can disable to make sure that the HG256 is working with bare minimal feature so that I can hook it up with my own router?
u under which plan?

Jap Drama Club:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=1396439

SEA Films:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3088521

MaRio StRikE!!!

I'm not giving up any chances ah tiong chiong ah!!!!

TiOnGSquare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #22
Master Member

u under which plan?
im under 50mbps down/up plan lor, speedtest buey zhun 1 la =X
Old 29-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
High Supremacy Member

Glad u manage to find a solution to your issue..And yea, speedtest is for fun only..
Old 10-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #24

Did anybody try to stack the HG256 after your third party router (i.e. linksys, d-link, etc.)? Is the voip phone still able to work?

I don't trust Huawei device for my internet routing.
I currently owned E3000 linksys router, and I prefer it as the main wireless AP, DHCP and router.
I used to have Huawei gateway with Singtel's DSL. I always had problem when multi-devices were connected, and the PING reply for device connected through Huawei is not as good as other router.
There is no point getting higher bandwith if the ping reply is too high.

Last edited by y2s_me; 10-02-2011 at 02:34 PM..
y2s_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #25

Did anybody try to stack the HG256 after your third party router (i.e. linksys, d-link, etc.)? Is the voip phone still able to work?

I don't trust Huawei device for my internet routing.
I currently owned E3000 linksys router, and I prefer it as the main wireless AP, DHCP and router.
I used to have Huawei gateway with Singtel's DSL. I always had problem when multi-devices were connected, and the PING reply for device connected through Huawei is not as good as other router.
There is no point getting higher bandwith if the ping reply is too high.
It's stacking the HG256 BEFORE the router, not after. The packets are all VLAN tagged. your router would not be able to handle the VOIP and internet packets.
JeNoVa-IcHiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #26

I dont want my internet access limited by the HG256 device's capability. I guess I have to opt out for the home phone line.

JeNoVa-IcHiGo, I am a little bit confused about your explanation. I thought M1 is using voIP for the home phone connection. If it's using IP technology, the linksys router should be able to route the package. I guess the problem may come if the Huawei gateway does not recognize the package if the gateway is assigned LAN IP instead of WAN IP which may caused the Huawei device to think the package is blocked. Did you happen to try it yet?

Anybody happen to know the protocol/method for M1's voip? Is there any other device can replace HG256? Anybody try 3rd party wireless IAD (integrated access device) or other ethernet voip ATA's adaptor? If can, it will be useful as you can connect your home phone line any where in the house.

I used other Voip service for my phone line few years ago, which can be connected through normal router combined with any internet broadband service.

Last edited by y2s_me; 10-02-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #27

I dont want my internet access limited by the HG256 device's capability. I guess I have to opt out for the home phone line.

JeNoVa-IcHiGo, I am a little bit confused about your explanation. I thought M1 is using voIP for the home phone connection. If it's using IP technology, the linksys router should be able to route the package. I guess the problem may come if the Huawei gateway does not recognize the package if the gateway is assigned LAN IP instead of WAN IP which may caused the Huawei device to think the package is blocked. Did you happen to try it yet?

Anybody happen to know the protocol/method for M1's voip? Is there any other device can replace HG256? Anybody try 3rd party wireless IAD (integrated access device) or other ethernet voip ATA's adaptor? If can, it will be useful as you can connect your home phone line any where in the house.

I used other Voip service for my phone line few years ago, which can be connected through normal router combined with any internet broadband service.
Read up on the term "VLAN tagging" it's the same across all 4 RSPs. Currently it's the mthod used to identify packets for different services/functions.

So example. My packet is tagged with VLAN 1107(VOIP) and VLAN 1103(Internet). Your router is UNABLE to differentiate the packets. Thus both service would not work at all.
JeNoVa-IcHiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #28
High Supremacy Member

Read up on the term "VLAN tagging" it's the same across all 4 RSPs. Currently it's the mthod used to identify packets for different services/functions.

So example. My packet is tagged with VLAN 1107(VOIP) and VLAN 1103(Internet). Your router is UNABLE to differentiate the packets. Thus both service would not work at all.
Not with a VLAN over WAN capable router, for web smart switch.

HS256s shld definitely pwn that crappy E3000 in some way.
And high ping might be due to the usage/setup instead of the Huawei DSL CPE.
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #29

Thanks for the info.

What happen if I choose not to rent HG256? Is the VLAN disabled? I read that I should be able to access the internet through my own router or direct connection to PC.

Another concern I have for HG256 is about the multiple device connection. Did anybody try to connect multiple wireless device to HG256 simultaneously? is it working fine?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #30
High Supremacy Member

Can use own router if dun rent, but no VoIP
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.