Made up my mind and made a mistake

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score
I've decided to re-contract with Starhub, upgrading from cable to fibre.

Im sign up the fibre 100mbps. And i faces 2 issues now where i didnt have it while i was on cable.

Cable 25mbps, Cisco modem + router, direct lan from router to PC
On BT, slow but able to hit 3mb/sec
Furthest end room wifi was weak, but able to connect

Fibre 100mbps, D-link 868, huawei ONT, using wireless usb 2.4ghz temporary.
On BT, speed increase by a bit, fastest speed i saw was only between 4-5mb.sec, is this normal?
Furthest end room wifi coverage is now officially a dead spot, unable to connect 2.4ghz nor 5ghz.

PS: Did a speed test and notice my dl is slower then my ul.
3679602836.png

Question
1) Can my BT speed be any faster then the current 4-5mb/sec?

2) How do i configure to improve?

3) Should i get a cat5e or a cat6 lan cable?

4) By changing to a Asus N66 or AC66 router, will it power up my wifi coverage, thus resulting my far end room able to receive wifi?

5) Is there any other better alternative for qns 4 solution?

10q

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Im sign up the fibre 100mbps. And i faces 2 issues now where i didnt have it while i was on cable.

On BT, speed increase by a bit, fastest speed i saw was only between 4-5mb.sec, is this normal?
Furthest end room wifi coverage is now officially a dead spot, unable to connect 2.4ghz nor 5ghz.

3679602836.png

Question

4) By changing to a Asus N66 or AC66 router, will it power up my wifi coverage, thus resulting my far end room able to receive wifi?

10q

Just a usb 3.0 dual band AC wifi Adaptor will help or just get a Cat 6 LAN Cable.

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a usb 3.0 dual band AC wifi Adaptor will help or just get a Cat 6 LAN Cable.

I'm looking at Asus N53 or AC56 wireless usb. For just 100mbps, is N53 sufficient already?

I should be getting a cat 6 flat cable, thanks for the suggestion.

However, both these item does not help solving my deadspot in my far end room. Can a asus N66, with maybe 9 x 9dbi antenna help my deadspot issue?

gabong

Reaction score
1) BT speed depends on how fast the peers can send you. So there is not much to do except set up port forwarding properly.

2) Use a LAN cable for your desktop/laptop.

3) Cat 6. It has better signal insulation and will be more stable.

4) Yes but... since you gonna LAN cable your room. Just get a Wireless AP to repeat/bridge the signal, it's cheaper also.

5) If you have a ton of money, you will have more options. For now, get the LAN cable installed. It will solve most of your signal problems. After that then upgrade your wifi.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at Asus N53 or AC56 wireless usb. For just 100mbps, is N53 sufficient already?

I should be getting a cat 6 flat cable, thanks for the suggestion.

However, both these item does not help solving my deadspot in my far end room. Can a asus N66, with maybe 9 x 9dbi antenna help my deadspot issue?

No la, a AC adaptor is better and in future can still use the adaptor when u upgrade the speed.

Binaries

Reaction score

3679602836.png

Question

10q

From what I see the only mistake is that you did not do enough homework, all the things you have listed are filled with variables that are not related to the ISP/PLAN that you have. Torrent speed is something on the grey line, depends on seed, depends on your ports. 4-5mb/s is looking ideal already you're not gonna get better than that from your plan.

Wifi is a router related issue, changing from adsl to cable to fibre doesn't matter because you will still need a good router for good WIFI coverage. It's probably a placebo effect that you thought your WIFI used to be better when you were on cable.

Cable-wise if you can afford it and you are just plainly gonna leave it on the floor and it's not gonna affect any of your existing renovation of course go for the best you can afford but unless you're really testing throughput in a lan environment even a Cat5E is sufficient for your plan.

Simplify the answers for you.

1) I think 4-5Mb/s is likely the highest you can get for your plan.
2) Look into uTorrent optimization, how to configure the number of concurrent peers and seeds.
3) Both is fine, wouldn't hurt to get the better one but you probably won't see any improvement to how you think it is as your plan can't even max out a Cat5E.
4) Depending on the layout of your place, so do your research on which router has better WIFI coverage.
5) I have no suggestion for this one.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No la, a AC adaptor is better and in future can still use the adaptor when u upgrade the speed.

It all depend on your usage. If all you need is internet and your fibre plan is only 100Mbps. Then a N-router at 300Mbps is more then enough. If you need ftp between pc, and both PC has AC support. Then a AC router will be good.

Do not spend extra money for nothing. Technology change every few months and may be cheaper over time.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It all depend on your usage. If all you need is internet and your fibre plan is only 100Mbps. Then a N-router at 300Mbps is more then enough. If you need ftp between pc, and both PC has AC support. Then a AC router will be good.

Do not spend extra money for nothing. Technology change every few months and may be cheaper over time.

Yes, you are right. Change very fast. Now usb AC wifi Adaptor is cheap like TP-link is $40. Now even google building a very fast Marine Cable with the latest technology from USA to japan and interlink with the existing cables. It meant route to japan using existing cable then from japan to USA with new cable. It will be completed in 2 years time.

kon_sk

Reaction score
Tested & proven, climbing hill with Starhub can clock >200mbps... not sure if it can go higher since the bottleneck I encountered is with my old comp - "Disk cache full" using UT

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tested & proven, climbing hill with Starhub can clock >200mbps... not sure if it can go higher since the bottleneck I encountered is with my old comp - "Disk cache full" using UT

Yes comp too old. I change every 3 years.

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score

Bro, which plan you on?

Can SIC method/tweaks/configurations for SH user like me mah?:D

And can list down the hardwares, routers etc etc you using?

Thank you very much.

kon_sk

Reaction score
Bro, which plan you on?

Can SIC method/tweaks/configurations for SH user like me mah?:D

And can list down the hardwares, routers etc etc you using?

Thank you very much.

on 300m plan and using standard Starhub hardware, DLINK 865L and port forward (comp is on reserve/fix ip and connected via LAN), will post the other settings (# of connection/cache) when I'm home tonite, cannot remember all details off-hand

i believe the 'key' is the cache settings, if you set all on auto, it'll probably max out at about 100Mbps...

but bear in mind, when you're climbing hill, the apps MIGHT show you the speed in MBps instead of Mbps, 3MBps = 30Mbps :s13:

I noticed you mentioned you are using 868L, which is a better router than mine (faster processor & maybe RAM), so in theory Router won't be your bottleneck (unless you using WIFI)

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes i poor man, still using free compaq desktop from Starhub, i think 8 years old liao

Window xp? U must be super rich man for sure. May be you top 11 to 20 rich person in sg. Ahh ahh do not pretend pretend.

Last edited:

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score
on 300m plan and using standard Starhub hardware, DLINK 865L and port forward (comp is on reserve/fix ip and connected via LAN), will post the other settings (# of connection/cache) when I'm home tonite, cannot remember all details off-hand

i believe the 'key' is the cache settings, if you set all on auto, it'll probably max out at about 100Mbps...

but bear in mind, when you're climbing hill, the apps MIGHT show you the speed in MBps instead of Mbps, 3MBps = 30Mbps :s13:

I noticed you mentioned you are using 868L, which is a better router than mine (faster processor & maybe RAM), so in theory Router won't be your bottleneck (unless you using WIFI)

Im using wireless for now, temporary solution only. Shall wait for your settings config tonight :p

spiritual84

Master Member
Reaction score
using AC (on both router and client side) would help to increase the 5GHz range quite a bit. While using wireless N, my room has almost no reception to the 5GHz radio, but with AC it has at least 2-3 bars (on Windows) if door is closed and 3-4 bars if door is opened.

Doors closed speedtest can get abt 250Mbps, doors open can max out my connection at 300Mbps.

Using Asus AC-68u router and Asus-PCE68 on my desktop.

kira86

Master Member
Reaction score
using AC (on both router and client side) would help to increase the 5GHz range quite a bit. While using wireless N, my room has almost no reception to the 5GHz radio, but with AC it has at least 2-3 bars (on Windows) if door is closed and 3-4 bars if door is opened.

Doors closed speedtest can get abt 250Mbps, doors open can max out my connection at 300Mbps.

Using Asus AC-68u router and Asus-PCE68 on my desktop.

wow amazing!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.