HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Supremacy Member

Anyone tried connecting via the telephone point before?
If ur phone lines are wired with at least cat5e and they are deployed in a star configuration, then can. U just simply convert the port from rj11 to rj45 can liao

Most phone lines are deployed in a daisy chain Btw, cos easier to deploy. Like that cannot use liao

My flat uses cat5e for phone line. I have yet to see what configuration it is deployed in
newkidontheblock likes this.
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #17

Yes I tried, the tel port (04 Wire) is too small for the Lan Port (8 Wire).

New Flat now is all Lan Port? wow. Like that no need to lay cable in whole house.
Just remove the socket and change the cable patch lor...
or else.. RJ11-RJ45 converter crimping not so hard
Old 21-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #18

can't one just use a rj45 convertor or jack into the telephone provided to turn it into a lan point?

I'm still waiting for the keys to my BTO.
Anyone who just moved into a NEW BTO flat and can show some photos of the utility box/closet and data points in the house?
BTO in SK

There is a data point from the untility box to a data point in Living room.
Quite a dismay job from contractor as you need to squeese in a ONT to this small ultility box.
FanFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #19

mine in punggol BTO is installed before i moved in. just next to the tv antenna point.
amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
High Supremacy Member

mine in punggol BTO is installed before i moved in. just next to the tv antenna point.
which BTO you in? when u got yr keys? my keys were received in jul 2012 leh. but don't have the terminal point.
Old 18-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #21

BTO in SK

There is a data point from the untility box to a data point in Living room.
Quite a dismay job from contractor as you need to squeese in a ONT to this small ultility box.
You dont need to squeeze the ONT into the box. I put my ONT outside this box. This metal box have a few partially covered holes (like a car coupon) below which you just need to twist the metal plate to squeeze the LAN cable through into the box. Anyway the power point is beside the box. You need to connect the ONT to the power point also.
xiaogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #22

I saw my friend new flat in Seng Kang similar to the pic. How do u guys connect the phone line from ONT when there is not phone port near the utility box? The nearest is like 6m away..

There is only 1 LAN point in the utility box that direct it to the living room for the router usage.

Trying to figure out why they build it this way..
ekin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Supremacy Member

the phone line is suppose to be on the RG mah. U only put the ONT in that box, connect the LAN patch to the ONT.

Then connect the RG at the other end of the patch. Then u can connect ur phone to the RG
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
High Supremacy Member

before u start yr reno, if u want your fiber to be at console area, its best to seek yr electrician advice on how to do it.

if not u got to squeeze everything into a small white box provided usually at the main door area. yr fiber point plus optical plus modem all in, quite headache as power point is outside the box.

my electrician managed to do it for me during reno, heng ah cos i dint thot of that also initially.

Last edited by hwaa; 25-12-2013 at 10:07 AM..
hwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #25

the phone line is suppose to be on the RG mah. U only put the ONT in that box, connect the LAN patch to the ONT.

Then connect the RG at the other end of the patch. Then u can connect ur phone to the RG
The phone line from M1 comes from the ONT huawei box now right? then 1 LAN from ONT to the router (Asus RT-56) which doesn't have phone line capability.

RG with phone line is from SingTel?
Old 25-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #26

I recently moved into my new bto and subscribe to m1 fibre and phone line. I got one guy from hwz to convert the ports so that i got multiple lan points.

1. Converted 2 phone ports in master room n room 2 to lan ports.
2. Put a phone port in the utility box which is connected to the phone port in the hall. This way, I do not have to put the phone in the box as well.

This can be done if ur home is new bto. Look for the guy in marketplace and contact them. They got the tools to check in the conversion will works. By doing this conversion, I am able to put my home phone line in the hall and not in the utility box. And I got a 2nd router in my master room to provide coverage for my tv, hp, tablet n ps3. Cheers
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

This is how mine is supposed to look like...Sengkang. Not yet collect key. Neighbour block collected and took this photo...

civicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
Master Member

so envy got new flat got chance to lay cable nice nice

if got chance I will add fibre points to all room + cat6 cables
plus well hidden trunking for future DIY link up

can forgo homeplug and/or wireless
audiovideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #29

This is mine.

Last edited by ekin101; 25-12-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Old 25-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

This is mine.
Yours look so complicated. Got patch panel even... Means mine is basic and not sure if it even means that the whole house is network
civicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.