HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #31

Yours look so complicated. Got patch panel even... Means mine is basic and not sure if it even means that the whole house is network
I guess there was a phase 6 years back where HDB tries wiring up LAN for the entire house (3 rooms, living room and kitchen. After that they didn't continue with this approach.

Took me awhile to understand how it work. Basically phone lines are daisy chain, means all my rooms have digital phonelines. All ports are RJ45/11 compatible, so even if it's telephone port, I can use it as LAN. Cables used are Cat 5e since 6 years liao.

My router 4 ports connects to individual ports on the LAN panel to select which rooms to have LAN.

I checked my friends new flat, it's all wired up all right.. Cat 6 cable but the ports are all RJ11(for telephone). Only 1 LAN port in the utility box for connection from ONT to another LAN port near the TV which then connect to the router. HDB expect everyone to use wireless in rooms..
newkidontheblock likes this.

Last edited by ekin101; 25-12-2013 at 03:24 PM..
ekin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

I checked my friends new flat, it's all wired up all right.. Cat 6 cable but the ports are all RJ11(for telephone). Only 1 LAN port in the utility box for connection from ONT to another LAN port near the TV which then connect to the router. HDB expect everyone to use wireless in rooms..
Thanks bro.. That is sad news for me.... Does that also mean i cannot convert those RJ11 points to RJ45 to make it a LAN point ? I read somewhere in this forum that it can be done ?
civicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #33

Thanks bro.. That is sad news for me.... Does that also mean i cannot convert those RJ11 points to RJ45 to make it a LAN point ? I read somewhere in this forum that it can be done ?
I read it's possible.. need to spend additional to change the connector.
ekin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #34
Supremacy Member

The phone line from M1 comes from the ONT huawei box now right? then 1 LAN from ONT to the router (Asus RT-56) which doesn't have phone line capability.

RG with phone line is from SingTel?
hmm.. Mine is SH. phone line is on RG. I din know other ISPs one different. Then it is poor design on the developers part lor.
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #35

The crucial question is where did they terminate the phone cables? ie. where they connect the home's phone cables to the one from singtel
andies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

i managed to change all my rooms RJ11 to RJ45 points.

total cost incur = less than $60 bucks

mine is cat6 cables prelaid for us. finished within 2hrs.
Old 26-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

WOW. Nice

How would one know that the change is possible ? Is there any documents or testing that I need to do to confirm that I can do the same as you ?
orbvius and newkidontheblock like this.
Old 26-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #38
Arch-Supremacy Member

WOW. Nice

How would one know that the change is possible ? Is there any documents or testing that I need to do to confirm that I can do the same as you ?
very simple, as long as u got the electrical layout that is given to you when you open ur doors.

u can find the telephone points whether its laid with CAT6 or not. if yes, u just need to go to your MMB (MultiMedia Box) which is at your circuit breaker cabinet, u will see a LAN port and a faceplate which doesn't have anything on it.

underneath it, u will see all lan cables are terminated here. U will spent abit of time there, as there is no label tat state which room, so u need to use cable tester to determine which lan cable belongs which which rooms.
Old 26-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

very simple, as long as u got the electrical layout that is given to you when you open ur doors.

u can find the telephone points whether its laid with CAT6 or not. if yes, u just need to go to your MMB (MultiMedia Box) which is at your circuit breaker cabinet, u will see a LAN port and a faceplate which doesn't have anything on it.

underneath it, u will see all lan cables are terminated here. U will spent abit of time there, as there is no label tat state which room, so u need to use cable tester to determine which lan cable belongs which which rooms.
Thanks sir.. next month receive new flat then I check carefully then.. this is how it is supposed to look like (my estate neighbour block people posted on FB because they receive keys this month).

Old 26-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #40
Arch-Supremacy Member

use a philips screwdriver and pry open the faceplate the is beside ur POT.

inside should be all ur termination of cat6 cables.
civicguy and newkidontheblock like this.
Old 26-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #41

use a philips screwdriver and pry open the faceplate the is beside ur POT.

inside should be all ur termination of cat6 cables.
Inside this box is it a patch panel to the 3 bedrooms and the living room? So you would need to place your router near this box and connect it to the patch panel?

Last edited by lengwee8; 26-12-2013 at 10:28 PM..
lengwee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

Inside this box is it a patch panel to the 3 bedrooms and the living room? So you would need to place your router near this box and connect it to the patch panel?
Hi bro. I am not an expert but it seemed so from the readings I did these few days. You can see some photos here

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/garage-sales-18/services-fiber-telephone-point-lan-data-ethernet-point-conversion-services-4390951.html

From what I see, for me, I will do exactly what I do now at my present place. Use the ViewQwest router in the main door box above but not wireless. Use my Asus wireless router as a wireless access point in the middle room LAN for better reception for whole house.
Old 27-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #43

Hi bro, you did it yourself or engage someone to do it?
$60 to change all the points, or $60 to change for each point?
lengwee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #44
Master Member

Hi bro, you did it yourself or engage someone to do it?
$60 to change all the points, or $60 to change for each point?
ya i want to ask also, u did it yourself or ask someone to do it? i moving in soon, now also headache how to lay my network
alice9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #45

please share with me the contact of the company/person who did the conversion for you.

thank you.
sosibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.