HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #961

Managed switch one of the solutions but is expensive. For a simple application like this, you only need a pair of "easysmart switch" from tp-link.
The cheapest is TL-SG105G. See this diagram.
Thanks

From the wan port router can i connect it to bedroom 2 or 3 to set up another AP?

For the managed switch do i need to manually set Vlan for the IPTV and Wifi?
sportyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #962

For single data point, you need to have 2 managed switches.

See link for more details;

Starhub IPTV in Switched network - help

Hope this helps you.

Alternately if there are 2 data points in your room and at the ONT location.
You can seek Starhub for the managed switch for using 2 IPTV.
Since ONT Port-2 is solely for IPTV and the switch have to connect to in order to provide 2 out to 2 data points / IPTV set top box.

Thanks i will do there and check it out.
Old 31-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #963
Master Member

Thanks

From the wan port router can i connect it to bedroom 2 or 3 to set up another AP?

For the managed switch do i need to manually set Vlan for the IPTV and Wifi?
Q:From the wan port router can i connect it to bedroom 2 or 3 to set up another AP?

A: yes, there are 4 lan port, one is used, you can use the other 3 to set up another few APs. If you need more, you can connect a simple unmanaged switch to one of the lan ports.

Q: For the managed switch do i need to manually set Vlan for the IPTV and Wifi?

A: Easysmart switch is very easy to configure. There is a mode to set up vlan based on physical port. As shown in the diagram, port 1 is used for the trunk between 2 switches, port 2 is for IPTV, port 3 is for internet data.

It is cheap too, less than $100 for a pair of them.
sportyant likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #964
Master Member

Please refer to this thread,
Single LAN cable with Network trunk setup without loop back LAN wire to DB
I setup Dual Managed Switch (TPLink SG108E) to validate the SINGLE LAN Cable bridging system.
It is working very well.

1.Main Router is deployed at Living Hall to maximize the Wifi coverage
2. Singtel Router can be bypassed, IPTV can be at Another area rather than close to ISP provided router.

sportyant likes this.

Last edited by HMAN; 31-12-2017 at 11:06 PM..
HMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 11:52 PM   #965

Q:From the wan port router can i connect it to bedroom 2 or 3 to set up another AP?

A: yes, there are 4 lan port, one is used, you can use the other 3 to set up another few APs. If you need more, you can connect a simple unmanaged switch to one of the lan ports.

A: Easysmart switch is very easy to configure. There is a mode to set up vlan based on physical port. As shown in the diagram, port 1 is used for the trunk between 2 switches, port 2 is for IPTV, port 3 is for internet data.

Thanks for reply.

Happy New Year!
Old 31-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #966

Please refer to this thread,
Single LAN cable with Network trunk setup without loop back LAN wire to DB
I setup Dual Managed Switch (TPLink SG108E) to validate the SINGLE LAN Cable bridging system.
It is working very well.

1.Main Router is deployed at Living Hall to maximize the Wifi coverage
2. Singtel Router can be bypassed, IPTV can be at Another area rather than close to ISP provided router.

Thanks for the reply.

Happy New Year!.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #967

Thanks i will do there and check it out.
Here is the link to Starhub site on multiple IPTV set top box;

http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-...t-top-box.html

Do spend some time to understand the link provided in my previous post.
All the required settings are mentioned.
As it has been tested and used by some.

For your info.

Happy New Year 2018 ...
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #968

Thanks & Happy 2018.

Would it be possible if i do something like below using three switch?

Old 13-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #969

Hi all, will be collecting bto keys soon.

For networking, I wish to place wireless access point at the living room TV console + another wireless access point at MBR.

They will be hard wired daisy chained with the living room being the primary channel.

What is the best way to achieve this configuration?
diediex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #970

For networking, I wish to place wireless access point at the living room TV console + another wireless access point at MBR.

They will be hard wired daisy chained with the living room being the primary channel.

Which ISP and routers model.
Which type of bto HDB, 3 / 4 /5 rms.
TV box is which type.
More details so as all can advice.
Old 13-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #971
Master Member

To make things easy and flexible, lay at least one more LAN cable from your living hall to DB , try to lay 2 for redundancy backup, since laying on the same location, you can negotiate to pay lower .I paid $200 for 2 more lines back to DB, try doing it together with your renovation to conceal the LAN cables properly.

doing above will help to materialize your setup. The recommendation is ISP agnostic design.

ONT ->main router ->LAN back to DB ->patch cord to MBR ->MBR AP
You don't even need a switch.

I used to run above setup, no switch at DB since my activity area is living hall and MBR.

gregory_choo and diediex like this.
Old 14-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #972

Which ISP and routers model.
Which type of bto HDB, 3 / 4 /5 rms.
TV box is which type.
More details so as all can advice.
ISP : Starhub
Router : 2 nos. of ea7500 max-stream ac1900
TV box : Starhub TV box
5 Rm bto

To make things easy and flexible, lay at least one more LAN cable from your living hall to DB , try to lay 2 for redundancy backup, since laying on the same location, you can negotiate to pay lower .I paid $200 for 2 more lines back to DB, try doing it together with your renovation to conceal the LAN cables properly.

doing above will help to materialize your setup. The recommendation is ISP agnostic design.

ONT ->main router ->LAN back to DB ->patch cord to MBR ->MBR AP
You don't even need a switch.

I used to run above setup, no switch at DB since my activity area is living hall and MBR.
Thnx for the explanations. I have a few questions ..

1) For redundancy, do you mean to have 3 conceal lan cables to living room?
Also adding points means I have to change the face plate of the data points in the DB right? (currently is 4 connection points i think)

2) I read your diagram a few post above. Is the managed switching trying to achieve the same effect without adding addition lan points?

3) If i set up the primary router inside the DB, ie. wireless access point inside the DB box, it would save the trouble of laying new lan cables, but would the wireless signal be severely affected?
diediex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #973

5 Rm bto
--
Starhub HomeHub 1000 IPTV.
Same here, except I used both Dlink 868l routers.
Old 14-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #974

5 Rm bto

Also adding points means I have to change the face plate of the data points in the DB right? (currently is 4 connection points i think)

2) I read your diagram a few post above. Is the managed switching trying to achieve the same effect without adding addition lan points?

3) If i set up the primary router inside the DB, ie. wireless access point inside the DB box, it would save the trouble of laying new lan cables, but would the wireless signal be severely affected?
1) Do confirm if there are 4 data points to living & bed rooms in the db box.
Me bto HDB is in 2013 and only 1 data point for living room.

2) Basically this is for Starhub IPTV as required managed switch at both end of data points.
I had included a link to someone who had done this before.
Do consider overall cost on managed switch & settings Vs trucking LAN cables & data points.
It is different from Singtel Mio tv setup.

3) Router inside will affect wireless signal.
Me put the router outside the db box as both TP & ONT are also outside near db box.

HMAN could advice you better.
diediex likes this.

Last edited by eric3743; 14-01-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Old 14-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #975
Master Member

Basically adding at least 2 more since you already have one LAN point prepared by HDB. Can mount one more faceplate, no big deal, very simple job , get a paid service to do it nicely.

Unless your dB area is running out of space.

You need to have 2 managed switch to do the SINGLE LAN trunking to move all LAN traffics. This is useful for those that already done renovation and don't want to lay more cables to spoil the house ID

I do not recommend VLAN to users whom are not familiar with basic network stuff, to save you trouble.

3) If i set up the primary router inside the DB, ie. wireless access point inside the DB box, it would save the trouble of laying new lan cables, but would the wireless signal be severely affected?[because it needs some skill to configure

Putting wireless Router at DB will impact wireless coverage unless it is near living hall .
Your IPTV will need to use one LAN point..
Your smart TV, streaming box all need Internet. LAN connections still have the most stable connection.

As such putting router to TV console is essential unless you just want starhub contents.

5 Rm bto

diediex likes this.

Last edited by HMAN; 14-01-2018 at 08:21 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.