Problem accessing the Internet through WLAN of Huawei HG256

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of the main purpose of a router is the wireless. IMO, a router with wireless problem fail as a router.

The main purpose of a router is to route traffic, or in consumer's, act as a middleman to various device over a single connection.

Thats why the more expensive business router, dosn't have wireless integration but depends on customer to buy an AP extension.

The objective here is more of an important criteria, because you can add more AP extensions compared to if the router NAT is flawed and you're forced into using it.

andromeda2000

Master Member
Reaction score
The main purpose of a router is to route traffic, or in consumer's, act as a middleman to various device over a single connection.

Thats why the more expensive business router, dosn't have wireless integration but depends on customer to buy an AP extension.

The objective here is more of an important criteria, because you can add more AP extensions compared to if the router NAT is flawed and you're forced into using it.
If you consider just the routing capabilities of the hg256. My opinion is that the performance is also quite poor. I had encounter many times that when I try to load multiple webpages at the same time, there will be about 10s in which the internet will stop working. This occur even if I am connected by lan cable.

Furthermore, using a pc connected to the lan port, I had done a ping test continuously for about 1 hour of usage and found that "ping timed out" occur about 3% of the packets. (ping to google.com,yahoo.com,m1.com.sg)

For most residential consumers, I think that the most important is still the wireless. Most pc/laptop/smartphone use wireless. Most home are not laid with lan cables and depend on wireless.

Last edited:

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you consider just the routing capabilities of the hg256. My opinion is that the performance is also quite poor. I had encounter many times that when I try to load multiple webpages at the same time, there will be about 10s in which the internet will stop working. This occur even if I am connected by lan cable.

Furthermore, using a pc connected to the lan port, I had done a ping test continuously for about 1 hour of usage and found that "ping timed out" occur about 3% of the packets. (ping to google.com,yahoo.com,m1.com.sg)

For most residential consumers, I think that the most important is still the wireless. Most pc/laptop/smartphone use wireless. Most home are not laid with lan cables and depend on wireless.

Have it ever occurred to you that the problems you mentioned, are not actually problems of the router?

Anyway, to get the full benefits brought about by high speed bb, must run lan cables, even if its not already laid. If the importance is on wireless, to add more AP, you will also need to bring the set closer to your desired devices by use of lan cable. And afterall, a cable/DSL plan do suit you too if you wanted to make compromises on convenience.

ShinryuExiled

Reaction score
Just want to say thanks for the posts. I had this problem for quite a long time and I wasn't able to solve it until now. I'm using 100Mbps Fibre from M1, HG256 Gateway. I have around 13+ devices connect to a single gateway therefore everytime the disconnection happens I'll have to manually reboot router to solve the problem, temporarily. Glad that I found this thread. :s13:

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just want to say thanks for the posts. I had this problem for quite a long time and I wasn't able to solve it until now. I'm using 100Mbps Fibre from M1, HG256 Gateway. I have around 13+ devices connect to a single gateway therefore everytime the disconnection happens I'll have to manually reboot router to solve the problem, temporarily. Glad that I found this thread. :s13:
If you are on the black ONT, I think a good solution is to call M1 to provision the voice through your ONT (if you have voice services) and return the router.

Alternatively, if you are still using the White ONT like myself, call M1 as well, but to press them to give you a ONT swap.

Just my 2 cents worth.

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between 802.11g , 802.11b/g/n ? What do the letters mean?

I am on 802.11b/g/n and wireless connection is unstable

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.