Question on Ethernet cable installation

viv4080

Reaction score
I am planning to lay an ethernet cable from the modem to the computer.

Is it OK to run the ethernet cable in the same trunking as the incoming power cable to the main circuit breaker?

Or better to use a separate trunking?

Appreciate any advise from brothers here.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its recommended to use a separate trunking, as may cause inteference between the network cable and power cable.

i do lay my own cable, at certain point they are together with power cable.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is it OK to run the ethernet cable in the same trunking as the incoming power cable to the main circuit breaker?

If running a separate trunking is not practical, there are shielded ethernet cables (STP) which will have some immunity against the electromagnetic interference

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do note that STP cables need to be properly grounded for the shielding to be effective. Quite a number of consumer devices have plastic RJ45 sockets which do not ground STP cables properly.

viv4080

Reaction score
its recommended to use a separate trunking, as may cause inteference between the network cable and power cable.

i do lay my own cable, at certain point they are together with power cable.

If running a separate trunking is not practical, there are shielded ethernet cables (STP) which will have some immunity against the electromagnetic interference

Thanks for the feedback.

Will have to read out more and decide. Will not use part of the existing trunking which contains the main power line (from outside) to the circuit breaker. Likely of electromagnetic interference is higher since it is the main power line.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Do note that STP cables need to be properly grounded for the shielding to be effective. Quite a number of consumer devices have plastic RJ45 sockets which do not ground STP cables properly.

Also its pretty impractical, and not to mention expensive to use STP cables in a home setup. STP cables are mostly useful if you are running the cables in parallel with high amperage lines, we're talking 100A and above kind. Otherwise the interference is so insignificant.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also its pretty impractical, and not to mention expensive to use STP cables in a home setup. STP cables are mostly useful if you are running the cables in parallel with high amperage lines, we're talking 100A and above kind. Otherwise the interference is so insignificant.

It's not that expensive now actually, since you can get them online easily. I am personally on an STP setup with 3M Volition. My concern is when people spend extra money on STP without knowing how it is supposed to work, and not get what they are paying for due to improper setup.

This also goes to people spending money on Cat 6E and Cat 7 Ethernet cables when no such standards have actually been ratified. Only Cat 6A is.

weap0nx

Master Member
Reaction score

Important to state that you ground one end of the cable only, doing both ends could create other problems. Best practice is the switch grounds the cable

EDIT: went to check and see most switches have metal socket

Last edited:

azrin619

Reaction score

Rule of Thumb (also IDA regulations)
- Power cables, AC seperate from DC as it may jump and cause arc.
- Communications Cable, CAT5e Separate From Power and Fiber Cables...to avoid Jumps and also confusion
- Starhub Cable against everyone else..as it's vDC unGROUNDED (at the base of the block..as high as 440Vdc :s11:
-->> Do not even touch the BTS/RRU Cables of Mobile Networks.. they carry super heavy radiation... if you want to be impotent...go do it... you'll get a headache first... (experience from a few of my bangla workers)

Rj11 can go with RJ45 but RJ11 signal may have buzzing round (esp with WiFi)

any dc spikes will kill your equipment... but best... single trunking will do the trick.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not that expensive now actually, since you can get them online easily. I am personally on an STP setup with 3M Volition. My concern is when people spend extra money on STP without knowing how it is supposed to work, and not get what they are paying for due to improper setup.

This also goes to people spending money on Cat 6E and Cat 7 Ethernet cables when no such standards have actually been ratified. Only Cat 6A is.

See
ISO/IEC 11801 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
on CAT 7 (or CAT F) officially it will be CAT 7a or CAT Fa. Many new IT centre are using CAT 7 now a day.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
See
ISO/IEC 11801 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
on CAT 7 (or CAT F) officially it will be CAT 7a or CAT Fa. Many new IT centre are using CAT 7 now a day.

What is ratified is Class F, not Cat 7. If you read what you just posted, it says Class F is not currently recognised by TIA/EIA.

A lot of the cables in the market rated "Cat 7" are actually the manufacturer's best guess of what "Cat 7" is, similar to the "Cat 6E" cables lying around. Those jumping the gun and buying "Cat 7" when it is not a fully ratified spec may find themselves paying a premium for a non existent standard. Draft wireless standards can be made WiFi compliant by firmware, but draft cables can't be fixed by software.

Then again of course, if reaching gigabit throughput is all needs, plain Cat 6 is more than enough. If one wants to future proof, future proof to proper standards, not a blind guess.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.