HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #46
High Supremacy Member

Usual caveat applies, fibre link down = everything down.
Of course. What made me worried were the seemingly numerous complaints about their DNS server & how supposedly connection keeps dropping even on wired connection.
derrickgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #47
Great Supremacy Member

Of course. What made me worried were the seemingly numerous complaints about their DNS server & how supposedly connection keeps dropping even on wired connection.
You can always change your dns server to google's dns server. Google's dns server is pretty rock solid.
Mach3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #48
High Supremacy Member

You can always change your dns server to google's dns server. Google's dns server is pretty rock solid.
Well yeah but i was just wondering if starhub DNS server is really the cause?

I mean if its as simple as changing to google DNS then im sure every starhub fibre user will do that no? 😂

On another note how does one change the default DNS to google DNS? Mac user here. Sorry, i suck at networking stuff.

Last edited by derrickgoh; 20-10-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Old 20-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #49
Master Member

Different router different UI.
Nothing to do with OS

tungsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #50
Great Supremacy Member

Well yeah but i was just wondering if starhub DNS server is really the cause?

I mean if its as simple as changing to google DNS then im sure every starhub fibre user will do that no? ******************

On another note how does one change the default DNS to google DNS? Mac user here. Sorry, i suck at networking stuff.
Look for DHCP settings in your router config, add google's DNS server(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) to the DNS server field.

Most won't bother with changing the DNS server; plug everything in and it works, why bother?

Personally I've never used starhub's DNS server so I can't comment as to whether it's causing problems or not.
Old 20-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #51
High Supremacy Member

Different router different UI.
Nothing to do with OS
I thought u change it via the OS's network settings?
Old 20-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #52
High Supremacy Member

Look for DHCP settings in your router config, add google's DNS server(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) to the DNS server field.

Most won't bother with changing the DNS server; plug everything in and it works, why bother?

Personally I've never used starhub's DNS server so I can't comment as to whether it's causing problems or not.
From what i understand once u add DNS servers in, it goes in order that u put. So i guess no harm just adding google too.

Hopefully starhub's is ok, failing which I guess just move it down the list & move google DNS up the list.
Old 21-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #53

From what i understand once u add DNS servers in, it goes in order that u put. So i guess no harm just adding google too.

Hopefully starhub's is ok, failing which I guess just move it down the list & move google DNS up the list.
Hestitate n worry too much would not help you as it make you worse.
Alternately check your next door neighbours on how their connection are, which ISP(s).

There are many things affect connections.
Beside ISP; the fibre cable from your point to NetLink to ISP; some locations are monitored hence ISP are careful as IMDA also do monitored in this way; Router no good as faulty, etc.

Life is full of unknown.
from SMRT CEO: That's Life ...
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #54
High Supremacy Member

I go by the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Unfortunately starhub is ceasing cable tv in 2020. There after if one still wants starhub tv it will have to be starhub fibre tv. Alternatively singtel fibre tv.

Tv channel wise both about the same. Price wise too. Just that i've been on starhub for so long & gotten used to the onscreen UI. Plus now that starhub mobile has free mobile data on weekends i guess its worth going for homehub go 1000.

I guess for my circumstances its logical to go with starhub lah. Just a bit worried after reading about issues of speed & frequent disconnects mah. Its 2 years contract leh. If no contract i whack liao loh no need think so much. If sucks just jump ship. But with contract if it sucks as what some have feedbacked, im stuck for 2 years siol.

U have some singtel users saying singtel connection more stable. Then u also have some singtel users complaining about frequent disconnects too.

I guess either way also its LPPL 😂
Old 21-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #55

I go by the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Unfortunately starhub is ceasing cable tv in 2020. There after if one still wants starhub tv it will have to be starhub fibre tv. Alternatively singtel fibre tv.

Tv channel wise both about the same. Price wise too. Just that i've been on starhub for so long & gotten used to the onscreen UI. Plus now that starhub mobile has free mobile data on weekends i guess its worth going for homehub go 1000.

I guess for my circumstances its logical to go with starhub lah. Just a bit worried after reading about issues of speed & frequent disconnects mah. Its 2 years contract leh. If no contract i whack liao loh no need think so much. If sucks just jump ship. But with contract if it sucks as what some have feedbacked, im stuck for 2 years siol.

U have some singtel users saying singtel connection more stable. Then u also have some singtel users complaining about frequent disconnects too.

I guess either way also its LPPL �
A word of cautious.

HomeHub Go mobile may not have free weekend mobile data.
Do check and confirm before you signed up and then find out.
It use the old 4G plans with sms.

However for Mobile not in HomeHub package is only come with free weekend mobile data.
No 4G plan and no SMS included.

Do be aware.
Old 21-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #56
High Supremacy Member

A word of cautious.

HomeHub Go mobile may not have free weekend mobile data.
Do check and confirm before you signed up and then find out.
It use the old 4G plans with sms.

However for Mobile not in HomeHub package is only come with free weekend mobile data.
No 4G plan and no SMS included.

Do be aware.
No lah weekend free data also got 4G. No sms but who uses sms these days?

U were right about homehub go. But that comes w 15gb data which is more than enough for me.
Old 22-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #57
Great Supremacy Member

Quite disappointed with starhub

They blocked so many websites. Saw my friend posting her horse betting tickets in HK

Went to surf hkjc website also kanna block. Really bad surfing experience. Was on MR....

No freedom.
seowbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #58
High Supremacy Member

Quite disappointed with starhub

They blocked so many websites. Saw my friend posting her horse betting tickets in HK

Went to surf hkjc website also kanna block. Really bad surfing experience. Was on MR....

No freedom.
Use VPN?????
Old 22-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #59
Great Supremacy Member

Use VPN?????
Can use VPN but why pay for a internet service that can't even surf properly....

I tot MDA only blocked like 100 sites or so last time...
seowbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #60

Can use VPN but why pay for a internet service that can't even surf properly....

I tot MDA only blocked like 100 sites or so last time...
MDA blocked websites are stated.

I did come across websites blocked but some do able to access.
Someone post a link that website unable to access.
Another replied said had no issue n able to visit.
I was unable to access too but VPN is fine to access.
But later, after a period of time or days, i was able to visit that website without any problem.

Hence it may due to routing or whatever.
As it is not blocking issue.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.