StarHub Fibre Optic Broadband Discussion - Install, Speed & etc, etc

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Post StarHub Fibre Optic Broadband Discussion - Install, Speed & etc, etc

hey hello ALL

who now running on Fibre Optic BB, drop your experience here to share

If any suggestion for trunking for those have ONT in Living Room (Hall) also can text here...
BlackStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #2

I'm on starhub maxinfinity 100mbps. direct connection to pc. my ont is on ground floor while the RG is on the 3rd floor. connection is using a 20m cat 5e cable from ground to 3rd floor.

Starhub Server
[IMG][/IMG]

Speedtest - New Media Express (SG Server)

Speedtest - Telin (Indonesia Server in SG)

Engineer who came to install the ONT and RG said its quite unusual for the speed to be slow and mentioned that he will inform about this to the backend side. told me to check up after 2 days. anybody else on starhub maxinfinity wanna share their results?
woo_hooo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Banned

I'm on starhub maxinfinity 100mbps. direct connection to pc. my ont is on ground floor while the RG is on the 3rd floor. connection is using a 20m cat 5e cable from ground to 3rd floor.

Starhub Server
[IMG][/IMG]

Speedtest - New Media Express (SG Server)

Speedtest - Telin (Indonesia Server in SG)

Engineer who came to install the ONT and RG said its quite unusual for the speed to be slow and mentioned that he will inform about this to the backend side. told me to check up after 2 days. anybody else on starhub maxinfinity wanna share their results?
speedtest.net singapore server cap starhub or vice-versa.

my advice: do not use speedtest.net to test your speed. Go download something to be sure of it.
MarineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #4

download something. ok. i used my ps3 to check the internet connection. direct connection of cat5e 5m cable. download is 27mb.

also, when i download movies from megaupload, i can hit max about 500-800kb/sec. similar to when i was using maxonline premium 30mbps plan.

any suggestions to download what? roughly what speed to look out for?
Old 20-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Banned

download something. ok. i used my ps3 to check the internet connection. direct connection of cat5e 5m cable. download is 27mb.

also, when i download movies from megaupload, i can hit max about 500-800kb/sec. similar to when i was using maxonline premium 30mbps plan.

any suggestions to download what? roughly what speed to look out for?
try this: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...2_Restore.ipsw

hmm.. close to 10MB/s ?
Old 20-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #6

ok. will try it later as i'm at work. thanks again bro.
Old 20-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #7

MarineX: I just tried downloading the file you mentioned. the speed increased gradually and hit 5.5MB/s when it was completed. less than 1 min though. maybe i need to look for a bigger file to check the speed proper.
Old 21-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #8

Hi guys,

I just had the internet change to this Fibre Optic thing and I'm not sure what I'd have to do.

I used to run a direct cable to my computer from my router to receive the internet but now I'd have to connect wirelessly through the Huawei Hardware.

Speedtest.sg shows an increased download speed and a significant increase in upload speed.

1.Is there anything I could to to substitute the upload speed for increased download speed?

2.I'm unable to access the Huawei Gateway, is there a default account that usually comes with it? my old linksys used to just be password: admin and i'm not sure if the set-up guy has made changes but I'm wondering if you all have the default details to access the Gateway.

3. I have tested megaupload and it seems that there is no speed increase and it might be speed has decrease from the usual 2.2MB/s to 1.6MB/s but it could be due to any environmental problems so I'm not too worried. Please give me any advice like if i should make any changes like forwarding ports or changing Huawei to Linksys.

4. I'm not running any firewall nor any anti-virus. I have no idea what RG or any terms of hardwares or softwares mean. Do treat me like I'm new to technology please.

Thanks!
tinkerdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #9

Hi guys, I'm finally get connected to Starhub Fibre broadband this morning (after 5 calls to their customer service and giving them some scolding last nite).
However, my speedtest result only yield around 60 Mbps, which is around 60 % of my plan. I had tested it on speedtest.net and broadbandspeedtest.starhub.com.

Is is consider abnormal? Their customer service just call me, and they claim it is still acceptable.
I had also tried downloading the file mentioned above, and I get a speed of around 7 MB/s for the first time, and around 4.4 MB/s for the second time.

Btw, my PC is connected to the gateway via Aztech 200Mbps homeplugs.
south_paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Banned

Hi guys,

I just had the internet change to this Fibre Optic thing and I'm not sure what I'd have to do.

I used to run a direct cable to my computer from my router to receive the internet but now I'd have to connect wirelessly through the Huawei Hardware.

Speedtest.sg shows an increased download speed and a significant increase in upload speed.

1.Is there anything I could to to substitute the upload speed for increased download speed?

2.I'm unable to access the Huawei Gateway, is there a default account that usually comes with it? my old linksys used to just be password: admin and i'm not sure if the set-up guy has made changes but I'm wondering if you all have the default details to access the Gateway.

3. I have tested megaupload and it seems that there is no speed increase and it might be speed has decrease from the usual 2.2MB/s to 1.6MB/s but it could be due to any environmental problems so I'm not too worried. Please give me any advice like if i should make any changes like forwarding ports or changing Huawei to Linksys.

4. I'm not running any firewall nor any anti-virus. I have no idea what RG or any terms of hardwares or softwares mean. Do treat me like I'm new to technology please.

Thanks!
0. don't use speedtest to gauge your speed. is not accurate for Starhub users. use this instead: http://broadbandspeedtest.starhub.com/speedtest/ and learn to search for answers here: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/search.php instead of begging for answers.
1. no.
2. it should be admin/admin
3. download this and test your speed instead: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...2_Restore.ipsw
4. RG = residential gateway, your huawei device that starhub "gave" u.

Last edited by MarineX; 21-07-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Old 21-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Banned

Hi guys, I'm finally get connected to Starhub Fibre broadband this morning (after 5 calls to their customer service and giving them some scolding last nite).
However, my speedtest result only yield around 60 Mbps, which is around 60 % of my plan. I had tested it on speedtest.net and broadbandspeedtest.starhub.com.

Is is consider abnormal? Their customer service just call me, and they claim it is still acceptable.
I had also tried downloading the file mentioned above, and I get a speed of around 7 MB/s for the first time, and around 4.4 MB/s for the second time.

Btw, my PC is connected to the gateway via Aztech 200Mbps homeplugs.
yes is normal. the Aztech 200Mbps gives you approximately 7MB/s

try direct connection to the huawei and test again if you can get anything higher it only shows that the homeplug is the issue.

Last edited by MarineX; 21-07-2011 at 06:40 PM..
Old 21-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #12

I just tried connecting a laptop directly to the gateway and test it using broadbandspeedtest.starhub.com. The download speed is able to reach 80 + Mbps, but there seem to be some problem and with upload test, as I keep getting errors for the upload test. I think I will try the test again on other day.

As for the homeplugs I am using, it look like my recent upgrade to the 200Mbps homeplugs are not worth the money . Is there ways to increase the speed of my homeplug connection?
south_paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Banned

I just tried connecting a laptop directly to the gateway and test it using broadbandspeedtest.starhub.com. The download speed is able to reach 80 + Mbps, but there seem to be some problem and with upload test, as I keep getting errors for the upload test. I think I will try the test again on other day.

As for the homeplugs I am using, it look like my recent upgrade to the 200Mbps homeplugs are not worth the money . Is there ways to increase the speed of my homeplug connection?
nope. only option, get a better 1.
Old 21-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Banned

my wireless speed.
Old 21-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #15

my wireless speed.

Download Speed: 47077 kbps (5884.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 36246 kbps (4530.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
PING: 10 ms
Thursday, 21 July, 2011 7:48:20 PM

I have this. why does ours differ so much in download speed not in the upload speed?
tinkerdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.