HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

Like Tree5170Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #796

@AwfulChoc, correct. And, what is g/n and aes?
Anyway, last night, I tried changing my channel to channel 7 after numerous tries. Channel 13 gave issue to Kindle Fire (cause cannot find wifi network). Channel 6, 11 still have the dropping issue. I found one cool application for Android. Wifi Analyzer to find out to check your wifi as well as your neighbourhood ones. It shows the channels all your neighbourhood use also. That's why I chose channel 7 which no one use.
never use anything more than 11.
1 - 11 is fine. (want to know why? google it - lazy to explain)

what is the current wireless settings you gave to your router?
newkidontheblock likes this.
AwfulChoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #797

if on dlink, u can try to set the bandwith to 20/40M. might help i hope.
stilnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #798

never use anything more than 11.
1 - 11 is fine. (want to know why? google it - lazy to explain)

what is the current wireless settings you gave to your router?
I second that.
My Android refuses to connect to my router at channel 13. Then after using Wifi Analyzer (availiable at Google Play aka Market), then realise it does not detect signals beyond ch11. i had latency issues with my laptop at ch13. Then after changing to ch7, my android accepts the router connection and pings better at <1ms ~ 2ms.
habsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #799

technician came to install this morning. and guess what, internet connection not yet activated till now. zzzzzzzz
Ap3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #800
NHT

not surprising, i waited for almost a week
Old 25-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #801

and that's not the end of my story. they deactivated my cable connection before activating my fiber. when my fiber is finally up, my 100mbps plan's wired connection speed is hovering from 10+ to 40+ Mbps. FML
Old 26-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #802

and that's not the end of my story. they deactivated my cable connection before activating my fiber. when my fiber is finally up, my 100mbps plan's wired connection speed is hovering from 10+ to 40+ Mbps. FML
how you check? on starhub webpage?
AwfulChoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #803

is your LAN card on 10/100Mbps instead of 10/100/1000Mbps?
Old 26-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #804

I understand tht Speedtest.net isn't a good gauge...

But I'm having very strange speeds during peak hours on a wired connection...

EDIT: This is tested from a 100Mbps Ultimate connection

Last edited by habsters; 26-03-2012 at 10:54 PM..
habsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #805

yup. on this link. Starhub - Online
complained to starhub. now can hit 90+. but sometimes still hover around 50+.

how to i check if it's 10/100/1000Mbps? Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet.
Old 27-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #806

yup. on this link. Starhub - Online
complained to starhub. now can hit 90+. but sometimes still hover around 50+.

how to i check if it's 10/100/1000Mbps? Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet.
Gigabit should be 10/100/1000Mbps. than yr speed is strange.. might wanna chk ddirectly with SH..
Old 27-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #807
Supremacy Member

Networking noob here, going to get the optic fibre installed at home, so I want to ask some questions.

- Can I still use my existing wireless router that connects from my cable modem? Its the Linksys E4200 model.

- Currently using MaxOnline Express plan (16mbps $59/mth), if I stick to this plan will my speed be faster when i switch to optic fibre or i need to upgrade my plan for faster speed?

- Since the optic fibre will be fixed to the hall, if i want direct connection, do you recommend I use those power line technology?
BKsianZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #808

Networking noob here, going to get the optic fibre installed at home, so I want to ask some questions.

- Can I still use my existing wireless router that connects from my cable modem? Its the Linksys E4200 model.

- Currently using MaxOnline Express plan (16mbps $59/mth), if I stick to this plan will my speed be faster when i switch to optic fibre or i need to upgrade my plan for faster speed?

- Since the optic fibre will be fixed to the hall, if i want direct connection, do you recommend I use those power line technology?
on starhub? no. if you want need ONT > RG > E4200

will be faster if you switch to fibre

use powerline technology if extra wiring is not permitted
CanNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #809
Arch-Supremacy Member

Repost from my thread, for awareness

I subscribed to Starhub MaxInfinity 100mbps and had it functional starting from 6th Feb 2012.

From the very first day onwards, I have been plagued by this persistant problem with my Internet Browsers.
No matter what I surf, sometime i cannot load any website pages at all. Intranet(192.168~) is unaffected, and so is non-Internet browser programs like MSN Messenger and Bittorrent.

It happens on my PC, on my laptop and on any iPhones/Android devices using the said network.
On Firefox, the error is shown below. In Internet Explorer, it is shown like this.

The problem does not have a set time when it appeared. Rather its more like random and it occurs at least once a day, lasting up to 30secs-1mins each time.

My home network is like this:

ONT -> Starhub DVG N5402SP LAN Port 1-> (via CAT6 cable) PC ; LAN Port 2-> (via CAT6 cable) TV; LAN Port 3 -> (via CAT6 cable) Dlink 615 Access Point(plugged to its LAN port)

1. Starhub tried troubleshooting via email. Disconnecting the wired connection to my Dlink 615 Access Point, using wired and wireless connection.
The problem still persists.

2. Starhub swapped my ONT and Dlink RG. Problem still persists.

3. Fiber Signal strength is strong. 80~ or so

I am at my wits end. Because unplugging the DLink 615 and still having the problem, it narrowed the problem to an area of :

ONT -> Starhub DVG N5402SP LAN Port 1-> (via CAT6 cable) PC

However, when it still persists after replacement of both RG and ONT, I cannot pinpoint anymore because the PC cannot be the culprit(as laptop also kenna) and both hardware changed. The only possibility is the firmwares but that would means all subscribers using the same HW would be affected.

I have set up my laptop to reload the website Youtube.com every 30 seconds(via Firefox's add on ReloadEvery) and recorded the screen via Hypercam. Bingo! I captured it occuring twice an hour ago.

Using Windows Clock(accurate) in the video as reference, the problem appears at 8:47:43 mark(8.47pm 43th second) and 8:50:44(8.50pm 44th second).

On my PC, I have screenshot the occurance at 8:50:44. I did not screenshot the earlier one. This prove that the problem is not confined to the PC or laptop alone. The BattleNet tab is unrefreshed and nothing was loading in that. Also notice Messenger still running normally.

I am pretty much at my wits end. My evidences suggest that this problem is not on my hardwares but rather on Starhub's end.

If anyone have this persistent daily issue as well, please come forward and let me and Starhub know. If Starhub is unable to fix the issue, I will terminate my contract and withhold all payments due for MaxInfinity. I can and I have the resources to fight Starhub in court should they demand termination fee. No termination penalty will be paid at all due to the unreliability of Starhub's MaxInfinity service.

PS: Please dont tell me Bittorrent is causing the issue. I have observed multiple times that the torrents were downloading as per normal during the problem. BT has nothing to do with the issue. Even when BT is not active or initialised, the problem occurs.
Old 27-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #810

did you try using Google Public DNS instead and see if the problem still persists?
yewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.