HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

StarHub MaxInfinity Fibre Optics Users Beware!

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

StarHub MaxInfinity Fibre Optics Users Beware!

Issues i encountered with starhub fibre.
HG256s Router - Starhub does not allow you to use a third party router. U must use the hg256s router that is provided to you.
1. The wireless signal strength from the router is extremely poor and to increase the strength, you would have to bridge it with another router and it still doesn't give a very good signal.
2. There is a serious port forwarding flaw with the router. If you try to open up the ports for forwarding to example, an nas. instead of forwarding to the port you specified when you key in the address in your web browser, it opens up directly to your router gateway page. This exposes you to anyone who types in your ip address or your dyndns hostname and you still don't have access to your nas on the web.
A question to all those who use starhub fibre,
1. is anyone able to share his/her NAS?
2. setup a ftp/http server?
3. host any online games?

I called starhub to ask them if they can upgrade the HG256s to v23 as M1 found out that v21,v22 has port forwarding problems and does firmware upgrades for those who need it. But starhub ts says that they do not support the v23 firmware as it applys to only M1 HG256s.
Can anyone confirm if this is true or false?

What works
1. p2p such as bt
2. ssh
3. ftp to other servers.
4. connecting to other online game servers.

Please input more feedbacks
starhubuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Don't test internally!
The loopback isn't properly coded
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Banned

Issues i encountered with starhub fibre.
HG256s Router - Starhub does not allow you to use a third party router. U must use the hg256s router that is provided to you.
1. The wireless signal strength from the router is extremely poor and to increase the strength, you would have to bridge it with another router and it still doesn't give a very good signal.
2. There is a serious port forwarding flaw with the router. If you try to open up the ports for forwarding to example, an nas. instead of forwarding to the port you specified when you key in the address in your web browser, it opens up directly to your router gateway page. This exposes you to anyone who types in your ip address or your dyndns hostname and you still don't have access to your nas on the web.
A question to all those who use starhub fibre,
1. is anyone able to share his/her NAS?
2. setup a ftp/http server?
3. host any online games?

I called starhub to ask them if they can upgrade the HG256s to v23 as M1 found out that v21,v22 has port forwarding problems and does firmware upgrades for those who need it. But starhub ts says that they do not support the v23 firmware as it applys to only M1 HG256s.
Can anyone confirm if this is true or false?

What works
1. p2p such as bt
2. ssh
3. ftp to other servers.
4. connecting to other online game servers.

Please input more feedbacks
alot of 1 2 3...

FTP to other servers works.

FTP to own servers (remotely) doesn't.
FTP to own servers (locally) works.

yes, have to use your own HG256s. Kinda disappointing that this wasn't stated either.

1. if you bridge it and it doesn't good give signal, you should take a good look on your own router instead.

2. if you are on bridge, you shouldn't have such issue.

3. i can't share my ftp remotely but no issues internally.

4. hosting of games no problem.

note: i am on "bridge" mode.

the "FTP" is restricted to the Huawei's USB port which is lame.

Any other ports that requires FTP is being blocked upon.

for my case, everything works except remote FTP.

edit*: FTP works on FW.v22

Last edited by MarineX; 11-06-2011 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: FTP works on FW.v22
MarineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

tested it using my nttcom cable line, able to access from internet. plug back to starhub fibre, goes to home gateway login page only.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Banned

tested it using my nttcom cable line, able to access from internet. plug back to starhub fibre, goes to home gateway login page only.
are you still on bridge mode?

if so, what router?

you should change your remote administration page to anything apart from 80 if there is a need.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #6

using zyxel router. if i bridge to the router, will i be able to access my nas remotely? the tech from starhub was not able to give any positive answer.
Will try it again tonight as at workplace now.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #7

yes, i also narrowed it down to the hg256s, called starhub and went down to their service centers, then huawei centre and finally, asked starhub serivce center manager to call me , until they put me thru directly to the huawei tech service. now waiting for huawei to find a solution. (take note, huawei does not sell the router to consumers so they do not provide support for it.)
Call them starhub ts right now and anytime u r free. inform them u r unable to connect to ur nas remotely and ask them to send someone to ur home to solve the issue. if the tech doesnt solve it, get their manager to call u.
It's either they solve our problem or they give us a refund and we can signup with superinternet or m1.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Banned

yes, i also narrowed it down to the hg256s, called starhub and went down to their service centers, then huawei centre and finally, asked starhub serivce center manager to call me , until they put me thru directly to the huawei tech service. now waiting for huawei to find a solution. (take note, huawei does not sell the router to consumers so they do not provide support for it.)
Call them starhub ts right now and anytime u r free. inform them u r unable to connect to ur nas remotely and ask them to send someone to ur home to solve the issue. if the tech doesnt solve it, get their manager to call u.
It's either they solve our problem or they give us a refund and we can signup with superinternet or m1.
wow...

Huawei service centre. But is lame isn't it, they manufactured the router yet they do not provide support for it!!!?

Solution? M1's HG256s fw is created by M1 meh ?

ya, i am thinking of terminating it without any loss since they have not highlight to us prior to this "defect"

there is a reason for them to delay me till Monday.. so i can't subscribe to m1 50Mbps @ $29.

Last edited by MarineX; 11-06-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

wow...

Huawei service centre. But is lame isn't it, they manufactured the router yet they do not provide support for it!!!?

ya, i am thinking of terminating it without any loss since they have not highlight to us prior to this "defect"

there is a reason for them to delay me till Monday.. so i can't subscribe to m1 50Mbps @ $29.
They only support those mobile modems, not the RG.. Our ISP/ MDA/ IDA also a bit dumb one, choosing such a poor model and also disallowing consumers to use their own modem.
iPad mini 4G and iPad mini wifi
Nokia X5
Samsung Galaxy Ace
Samsung Note II

whaleshark87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #10

heard the m1 packet loss to international sites is extremely high. go for superinternet, value for money in the long run. my nttcom costs $128 everymonth and i encounter close to no problems having it switched on 24/7.
No rebooting for modem/router becos the isp does a maint.(which happens every week or sometimes everday)
No site blockages
No p2p blockage
No port forwarding blockages
No bandwidth throttling
and the list goes on and on.
On starhub cable, i was paying $100++ to have starhub come up with new ideas to increase their profit margin at my expense?
What good is m1, singtel, starhub offering 50mps up/down if they attempt to block everything that take's up bandwidth?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #11

Thumbs up

wow...

huawei only support the mobile, so don't listen to the starhub cs when they ask u to go huawei.

the firmware is by huawei. going to get the huawei tech to flash my hg256s to the v23 firmware and see if it works or not. in fact, i believe the existing v21,v22 was made for m1/starhub so that they can block the port forwarding . for those of you who used the linksys cable router/modem, it had the same port forwarding problem. and starhub also insisted we use it.

I'm not going to terminate, i'm going to ask starhub not to bill me until they resolve my issue and in fact, i'm going to ask their manager to update me on this issue right now.
go call them, it's toll free.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

wow...

Simply becos it is ISP contracted equipments.
This absolve the need for the maker to answer direct support because the user are not the direct customer.
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #13

Thumbs up

huawei only support the mobile, so don't listen to the starhub cs when they ask u to go huawei.

the firmware is by huawei. going to get the huawei tech to flash my hg256s to the v23 firmware and see if it works or not. in fact, i believe the existing v21,v22 was made for m1/starhub so that they can block the port forwarding . for those of you who used the linksys cable router/modem, it had the same port forwarding problem. and starhub also insisted we use it.

I'm not going to terminate, i'm going to ask starhub not to bill me until they resolve my issue and in fact, i'm going to ask their manager to update me on this issue right now.
go call them, it's toll free.
Good job bro!!! I also on starhub and got it a couple of days ago.
Now is must see anybody got success in flashing the firmware ownself.
nutz1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Banned

They only support those mobile modems, not the RG.. Our ISP/ MDA/ IDA also a bit dumb one, choosing such a poor model and also disallowing consumers to use their own modem.
well, coz its cheap. i bet.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
Supremacy Member

well, coz its cheap. i bet.
Hua wei solution was nearly the cheapest. ISP just wanted to save a few bucks at the expense of us consumers ma...
iPad mini 4G and iPad mini wifi
Nokia X5
Samsung Galaxy Ace
Samsung Note II

whaleshark87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.