Will my wireless speed improve with the dir-865l ac router?

quarkz

Reaction score
Hi,

I just upgraded my starhub fibre from 100mbps to 300mbps. Realise that there 's no improvement in my wifi speed.

I'm using the old dvg-n5402sp router modem

My wifi usb adapter is the 11n 300mbps.

I am now getting 40-50mbps of wifi speed. Request to downgrade to 100mbps but was rejected.

They suggested changing to the new dri-865 ac router.

So I wonder if I will get improvement in my wifi speed? Since my adapter is still the 11n 300mbps.

Anyone has experience? Thanks!

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To get the best out of AC wifi, both router and wifi adapter need to be AC standard too.

quarkz

Reaction score
Ya I know, but I'm wondering if I 'll get any increase in speed if i only change the router, while using the same 11n usb adapter.

JeNoVa-IcHiGo

Reaction score
Ya I know, but I'm wondering if I 'll get any increase in speed if i only change the router, while using the same 11n usb adapter.

First thing first would be to optimize your wireless 2.4GHz channel/bandwidth , then connect to check your speedtest if possible to see what is the maximum "potential" speed of your usb device for usage in your "area". Better to be done during peak hours for better gauge.

If it is able to perform exceeding 60mbps then you might want to consider just buying a dualband 5.0GHz router for its wireless function and you may just get better speed from there on.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do take note range for 5GHz is shorter as compared to 2.4GHz.

quinnkei

Reaction score
If you want to maximize your ISP speed, you need to upgrade your WiFi adapter.
Even downgrade back to 100Mbps, you still only get 50-60Mbps under 2.4Ghz.

Will rather upgrade the WiFi Adapter to Dual-Band or AC to get most of the speed

stay8899

Reaction score
Not sure why you are not considering wired connection to take full advantage of the speed? Wireless has limitations unless you place your machine next to the router :)

CheeKo

Reaction score
How do you get higher speed on wireless?

I am using a USB wireless 300N dongle. But when I check on speedtest, the maximum speed I can get is about 33Mbps.

Is it the limitation of the USB dongle?

I am on 100mbps fibre

lionelow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is my starhub 200 mbps fibre with dlink AC usb adapter.

3467452372.png

Last edited:

CheeKo

Reaction score
I tried with a laptop.
When I am sitting just beside the router, the speed is 80-90 mbps

When I move to my PC area, the laptop speed drops to 33 mbps

Can I conclude that the signal drop is the problem now?

lionelow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried with a laptop.
When I am sitting just beside the router, the speed is 80-90 mbps

When I move to my PC area, the laptop speed drops to 33 mbps

Can I conclude that the signal drop is the problem now?

Yes. My mom's laptop got instant drop connection as her room is the furthest.

quarkz

Reaction score
I called starhub and told them to bring a test router to let me test. There's improvement, although not as substantial. In 1 test, I can get 100mbps download but on avg, it increased from 40+ to 70+. Not too bad since I didn't change the wifi usb adapter.

lionelow: Btw, which model of usb adapter are you using? Is the adapter very near the router? Heard from the technician that 5Ghz is more prone to walls and movement.

lionelow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I called starhub and told them to bring a test router to let me test. There's improvement, although not as substantial. In 1 test, I can get 100mbps download but on avg, it increased from 40+ to 70+. Not too bad since I didn't change the wifi usb adapter.

lionelow: Btw, which model of usb adapter are you using? Is the adapter very near the router? Heard from the technician that 5Ghz is more prone to walls and movement.

I'm using dlink dwa 182 ac adapter and i'm getting a good signal with router in the living while i'm in my room but my mom's room is at the far end which even 2.4 hard to reach.

Now i'm thinking of bridging my old router as repeater.Try to position adapter high up on the desktop.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.