[HELP] Opinions on choosing between these 3 laptops for school

slasherkenshin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need your opinions on choosing between these 3 laptops:

1. HP ProBook 430 G2 Notebook PC
  2. ASUS ZenBook UX303LA-TS728U
  3. Toshiba Portege Z30 Ultrabook

I have done a comparison of their specifications (based on their brochures) and found them to be laptops of a similar class. Here are their basic specs:
  • Intel Core i7-4510U (2.0GHz)
  • 8GB DDR3L RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • 13.3" display
  • All 3-year warranty

The only salient difference seems to be their price and weight:
  • HP: $1753, 1.5kg (cheapest, but also heaviest)
  • ASUS: $1838.26, 1.45kg (in the middle)
  • Toshiba: $2106.83, 1.2kg (most costly, but also lightest)

Just some background: my brother is going to use it for his studies, and he will be using programs like AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit (3D BIM/modelling program). Not going to have any games on the laptop so not considering gaming specced laptops as well.

And actually weight does not really matter to him. Hope to get all your professional opinions!

P.S. I heard ASUS after-sales service is pretty bad. We would like to take into consideration these "soft" factors too. So please do advise!

Last edited:

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need your opinions on choosing between these 3 laptops:

1. HP ProBook 430 G2 Notebook PC
  2. ASUS ZenBook UX303LA-TS728U
  3. Toshiba Portege T30 Ultrabook

I have done a comparison of their specifications (based on their brochures) and found them to be laptops of a similar class. Here are their basic specs:
  • Intel Core i7-4510U (2.0GHz)
  • 8GB DDR3L RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • 13.3" display
  • All 3-year warranty

The only salient difference seems to be their price and weight:
  • HP: $1753, 1.5kg (cheapest, but also heaviest)
  • ASUS: $1838.26, 1.45kg (in the middle)
  • Toshiba: $2106.83, 1.2kg (most costly, but also lightest)

Just some background: my brother is going to use it for his studies, and he will be using programs like AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit (3D BIM/modelling program). Not going to have any games on the laptop so not considering gaming specced laptops as well.

And actually weight does not really matter to him. Hope to get all your professional opinions!

P.S. I heard ASUS after-sales service is pretty bad. We would like to take into consideration these "soft" factors too. So please do advise!
If you are considering these, then after-sales service shouldn't be a consideration factor, coz you will be dealing with NUS, not the service centres.

I wouldn't recommend HP coz of their screen resolution (1366x768). The others are full HD (1920x1080). My advice is to get the Asus UX303LA i7 version with HDD. It should suffice. But if u have the cash, u can also slurge on the Toshiba.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.