Advice on Laptop Needed

kelvintjb

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a few questions!

My current laptop is running on a Dual Core CPU and 512MB NVIDIA 105M GPU which is super ancient...I'm looking to upgrade for university studies as well as a little gaming (just LoL, Dota2 kinda games at most)

I have a budget of 1.6k and looking for a 15.6" laptop with FHD display and some form of SSD/Hybrid Drive for booting purposes.

1. So far, I've been enticed by the HP Envy j127tx which seem to fit my needs very well. But with my narrow knowledge of computers, will it be a good purchase? Or are there wiser alternatives i could consider?

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
8GB RAM
750 GB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD
15.6" diagonal FHD BrightView LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Current RRP: $1599

2. It seems like it's wiser to wait for the upcoming PC Show before making my final decision since its just a month plus away. But I'm very much tempted to go down to a shop and grab one now. Will the prices be drastically different there? Or is there any shop in Singapore i can go to outside of IT fair periods to get a better price/deal?

3. Will shops/fairs allow me to upgrade certain hardware of the laptop such as RAM and GPU?

4. Some laptops have a Hybrid drive with xGB of SSD. Some have xGB of mSATA or some other thing I don't understand. Are they one drive by itself or two separates drives which i can open from "My Computer"? How do I know whether the "SSD" is being utilised?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
The hp envy is a good laptop but 1599 for it is a little too much. People have bought it at 1.2k during it show. U should be able to get it at around 1.3k even now.

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Maybe you can check out the new ASUS UX32ln, pretty good specs and light weight. Of course the CPU is a ULV model, but what are you doing in your uni? Do you need i7 specs? If not i5 would be pretty much sufficient for daily docs. HP laptops are never the way to go nowadays

2. It depends, if you are aiming for older models, sure the IT shows will benefit more, if newer models, at most the discount will be $50-$100 and maybe some freebies to go along.

3. Usually it depends on the laptop itself, whether if it's upgradeable, most ASUS ULV models are, and they will provide free RAM upgrades. As for GPu, it's not really possible as nowadays it's either soldered on for entry cards, or The gpu is at the underside. For Dota 2 or LoL, even the current Haswell Intel HD 4400+ will be able to play it at reasonable framerate.
PPersonally tested on Intel hd 4400, I'm able to play Dota 2 at 1080p with low to med settings at 30+fps

For UX32ln, it's cheap, at only less than $1,300, with free ram upgrade, FHD and GT840M. Thus, you can spare the $300 from your budget to upgrade to SSD. Only downside is that it's 13.3inch.

Unless you planning to play more intensive games like Crysis or Battlefield, entry cards are more than enough.
Even a Gt730m is capable of driving Diablo 3 at high settings on 1080p at 30+fps.

Since you mentioned you are going to use for uni, portability is a must to look upon, for 15incher, try to find those at 2kg to 2.5kg capped, with the above specs I mentioned and you are pretty much good to go.

Cheers,
Ivan :)

kelvintjb

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies!

The hp envy is a good laptop but 1599 for it is a little too much. People have bought it at 1.2k during it show. U should be able to get it at around 1.3k even now.

May I know when you mean 1.3k, do you mean pre-owned units. Or I'm able to get such a price from retail shops. Because most places I've seen are still $1599...

1. Maybe you can check out the new ASUS UX32ln, pretty good specs and light weight. Of course the CPU is a ULV model, but what are you doing in your uni? Do you need i7 specs? If not i5 would be pretty much sufficient for daily docs. HP laptops are never the way to go nowadays

2. It depends, if you are aiming for older models, sure the IT shows will benefit more, if newer models, at most the discount will be $50-$100 and maybe some freebies to go along.

3. Usually it depends on the laptop itself, whether if it's upgradeable, most ASUS ULV models are, and they will provide free RAM upgrades. As for GPu, it's not really possible as nowadays it's either soldered on for entry cards, or The gpu is at the underside. For Dota 2 or LoL, even the current Haswell Intel HD 4400+ will be able to play it at reasonable framerate.
PPersonally tested on Intel hd 4400, I'm able to play Dota 2 at 1080p with low to med settings at 30+fps

For UX32ln, it's cheap, at only less than $1,300, with free ram upgrade, FHD and GT840M. Thus, you can spare the $300 from your budget to upgrade to SSD. Only downside is that it's 13.3inch.

Unless you planning to play more intensive games like Crysis or Battlefield, entry cards are more than enough.
Even a Gt730m is capable of driving Diablo 3 at high settings on 1080p at 30+fps.

Since you mentioned you are going to use for uni, portability is a must to look upon, for 15incher, try to find those at 2kg to 2.5kg capped, with the above specs I mentioned and you are pretty much good to go.

Cheers,
Ivan :)

Thanks for the detailed reponse! May I know why do you say that HP laptops aren't a good choice nowadays? And also where will I be able to find new ASUS models (to see whether they are any 15" models) like the one you suggested because the brochure I picked up from the nearby Harvey Norman does not have that model in it.

Unknownx

Reaction score

May I know when you mean 1.3k, do you mean pre-owned units. Or I'm able to get such a price from retail shops. Because most places I've seen are still $1599...

Thanks for the detailed reponse! May I know why do you say that HP laptops aren't a good choice nowadays? And also where will I be able to find new ASUS models (to see whether they are any 15" models) like the one you suggested because the brochure I picked up from the nearby Harvey Norman does not have that model in it.

All Asus 15" FHD models cost more than 1.6k unless you're buying previous generation/second hand/refurbished/display set...
I think for now, Asus UX32LN is the only Asus laptop available locally with NVIDIA 800M series

kelvintjb

Reaction score
All Asus 15" FHD models cost more than 1.6k unless you're buying previous generation/second hand/refurbished/display set...
I think for now, Asus UX32LN is the only Asus laptop available locally with NVIDIA 800M series

Oh. That's a bummer to know. Thanks for the info! Too bad I have a tight budget for the kind of laptop I'm looking for..

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score

i'm talking about new. I never reccomend 2nd hand laptops. Go walk around sim lim square and try to find one. The 1.3k is not listed price. Must bargain

kelvintjb

Reaction score
i'm talking about new. I never reccomend 2nd hand laptops. Go walk around sim lim square and try to find one. The 1.3k is not listed price. Must bargain

Wah serious? From 1.6k can bargain until 1.3k? :eek:
My folks are generally against me getting a laptop from Sim Lim cos we're all IT noobs and get conned also don't know. I myself have never been there to buy a com. Is it way different from Funan?
Are there any exceptional things I should take note of if I were to get it from there? Like later the hardware inside is different from the agreed spec sheet or what then die already. :s22:

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah serious? From 1.6k can bargain until 1.3k? :eek:
My folks are generally against me getting a laptop from Sim Lim cos we're all IT noobs and get conned also don't know. I myself have never been there to buy a com. Is it way different from Funan?
Are there any exceptional things I should take note of if I were to get it from there? Like later the hardware inside is different from the agreed spec sheet or what then die already. :s22:

Hmm, but if you really want a 15incher at that price point, I don't think there's many out there with FHD and portable currently

HP have bad service and build quality at times, I've been to HP factory before, can't share too much regarding this just that I don't recommend HP nowadays.

Bargaining from 1.6k to 1.3k is a very big jump even for IT fairs, maybe they having quota or trying to clear that model stocks, if not at IT fair, for newer models $100 to $200 will be the most, Bargaining usually requires payment in cash.

If you don't mind paying abit more, there's 2 very good model that meets your retirement by MSI

MSI GE 60 (Apache) (GTX850M 2GB GDDR5) w/ backlight multi color KB
15.6" FHD, Anti-Glare (1920*1080) eDP Wide View Angle
GTX850M 2GB GDDR5
Sharkbay i7-4700MQ+HM86
DDR III 8GB (2 slots)
1TB (SATA) 7200rpm
DVDRW super Multi
Intel 3160 Wilkins Peak 1 (1x1 802.11 ac)+BT4.0
Win8.1 Multi Language
6 cell
MSI 2 years Warranty
Free: Gaming bag
Price: SGD 1,899

Or

MSI GE40
14" FHD, Anti Glare (1920*1080, Slim Type Panel
nVidia GeForce GTX760M, 2GB GDDR5
Sharkbay i7-4702MQ
DDR III 4GB
750GB (SATA) 7200rpm
AW-NB114H Combo (b/g/n)+BT4.0
Win8 Multi Language
6 cell
1.9kg GAMING ULTRABOOK
Free:
Gaming bag
2 Year Warranty Term for Gaming
Price: SGD $1,699

Those 2 models have the best i7 chip out there and it's not a ULV chip, and Note that most ULV laptops' GPU like GT730M or GT740M is only DDR3 gpu, whereas the above are DDR5 with the GE60 Apache with the latest Maxwell GTX850M, this card is overkill for Dota 2 and LoL, but you can play other modern games if you need to too!

Weight and portability can be a critical point in deciding laptops as well

PS: Not all IT shops in Sim Lim are scammers haha, but I do agree on general idea of the public that thinks they are.

Actually most shops already have brochure stating all the price and even negotiatable for further discounts, look for those shops with brochures that HWZ have uploaded.

As for laptops, you can never be deceived by PC Dreams, they are renown in our HWZ, long lasting shops of laptop haha, but sometimes you might not get as much discount from them as compared to big shops like courts or harvey norman etc at IT fairs etc.

Recommended brands, ASUS, MSI, AFTERSHOCK, Samsung, Sony. Do not that Samsung and Sony laptops are tend to be priced higher.

Last edited:

kelvintjb

Reaction score
Hmm, but if you really want a 15incher at that price point, I don't think there's many out there with FHD and portable currently

HP have bad service and build quality at times, I've been to HP factory before, can't share too much regarding this just that I don't recommend HP nowadays.

Bargaining from 1.6k to 1.3k is a very big jump even for IT fairs, maybe they having quota or trying to clear that model stocks, if not at IT fair, for newer models $100 to $200 will be the most, Bargaining usually requires payment in cash.

If you don't mind paying abit more, there's 2 very good model that meets your retirement by MSI

MSI GE 60 (Apache) (GTX850M 2GB GDDR5) w/ backlight multi color KB
15.6" FHD, Anti-Glare (1920*1080) eDP Wide View Angle
GTX850M 2GB GDDR5
Sharkbay i7-4700MQ+HM86
DDR III 8GB (2 slots)
1TB (SATA) 7200rpm
DVDRW super Multi
Intel 3160 Wilkins Peak 1 (1x1 802.11 ac)+BT4.0
Win8.1 Multi Language
6 cell
MSI 2 years Warranty
Free: Gaming bag
Price: SGD 1,899

Or

MSI GE40
14" FHD, Anti Glare (1920*1080, Slim Type Panel
nVidia GeForce GTX760M, 2GB GDDR5
Sharkbay i7-4702MQ
DDR III 4GB
750GB (SATA) 7200rpm
AW-NB114H Combo (b/g/n)+BT4.0
Win8 Multi Language
6 cell
1.9kg GAMING ULTRABOOK
Free:
Gaming bag
2 Year Warranty Term for Gaming
Price: SGD $1,699

Those 2 models have the best i7 chip out there and it's not a ULV chip, and Note that most ULV laptops' GPU like GT730M or GT740M is only DDR3 gpu, whereas the above are DDR5 with the GE60 Apache with the latest Maxwell GTX850M, this card is overkill for Dota 2 and LoL, but you can play other modern games if you need to too!

Weight and portability can be a critical point in deciding laptops as well

PS: Not all IT shops in Sim Lim are scammers haha, but I do agree on general idea of the public that thinks they are.

Actually most shops already have brochure stating all the price and even negotiatable for further discounts, look for those shops with brochures that HWZ have uploaded.

As for laptops, you can never be deceived by PC Dreams, they are renown in our HWZ, long lasting shops of laptop haha, but sometimes you might not get as much discount from them as compared to big shops like courts or harvey norman etc at IT fairs etc.

Recommended brands, ASUS, MSI, AFTERSHOCK, Samsung, Sony. Do not that Samsung and Sony laptops are tend to be priced higher.

Thanks for the suggestions of those laptops, I've never actually heard of that brand, seems like its a gaming machine :O. Will research more on it. Where do you even buy them anyway? Simlim?

All of the brochures this site has is for desktop PCs right? (If you were referring to the section "Price Lists") Doesn't seem like they list down the laptops they carry in their shop.

I guess if really no choice then need to tahan until IT fair already. :(

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions of those laptops, I've never actually heard of that brand, seems like its a gaming machine :O. Will research more on it. Where do you even buy them anyway? Simlim?

All of the brochures this site has is for desktop PCs right? (If you were referring to the section "Price Lists") Doesn't seem like they list down the laptops they carry in their shop.

I guess if really no choice then need to tahan until IT fair already. :(

You're welcome.

Yeah MSI is a gaming laptop branding, they are famous desktop brands, one that you couldn't be wrong going with.

Like I mentioned, PC Dreams, you should see them in HWZ often, they have their own dedicated forum page, and yeah they are located at SLS too.

If you wanna just get a commercial laptops and not in a rush, I suggest you wait for IT fair :), go down see see look look, better bring a friend or 2 that's knowledable in laptops or IT, oh also someone who is good at bargaining hahaha

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asus n750jk is with gtx850m.

That one is too big 17inch for uni, and 3.4kg is some weight you wanna avoid for daily portability.

Also the GTX850M is just DDR3, may still be enough but not as good

Unknownx

Reaction score
The cheapest brand new 15.6" FHD laptop I can think of is MSI GP60-20D (2013 model) but this laptop no mSATA SSD slot
So your best choice is either replace the original HDD with any SSD or Seagate SSHD
But you need to check if changing the HDD will void the whole laptop warranty or just the original HDD

MSI%20Desktop%20PCs%20Gaming%20Haswell%20GE40-20C%2C%20GP60-20D%2C%20AMD%20GX70-Crysis3%2C%20GX60-Hitman%2C%20GX60-1AC.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.