HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus VivoBook S510UN sudden performance drop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Asus VivoBook S510UN sudden performance drop

I got the S510UN via Hachi Tech around a month ago.

It was generally doing fine, until this week suddenly a big performance drop, everything became noticeably laggier. I thought it was due to bloatware and tried to uninstall McAfee etc., but didn't help. In the end, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10. Btw, the laptop is running 8th gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, MX150 graphics, so its fairly decent.

Then I ran passmark, and I got these results on the S510UN (below). Oh my! Very very bad! Some tests cannot even complete

Compared to my very old Asus UX31A (below), there is definitely something wrong with my new laptop, but I can't figure what is wrong.

Is this sufficient to lodge a case for RMA? I can't pinpoint the failure, but it does seem like there is a hardware issue right? Any advise how to get a successful RMA?

And I'm guessing its just a coincidence with the recent Intel chip Spectre/Meltdown issue?
VanquishShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #2

are u on power saving mode
Hailgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

for what its worth, the S510UN is not one of those listed here that have the Intel Security Vulnerabilities Issue though
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034979

Last edited by VanquishShadow; 08-01-2018 at 11:21 PM..
Old 08-01-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

are u on power saving mode
Nope, regular setting (plugged in)
Old 09-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
Supremacy Member

Nope, regular setting (plugged in)
although now that you mention it, the battery level has been 45% for quite some time even though says "plugged in, charging"
Old 09-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #6

for what its worth, the S510UN is not one of those listed here that have the Intel Security Vulnerabilities Issue though
https://www.asus.com/sg/support/FAQ/1034979
this is not the same thing.

the intel meltdown affected pretty much every intel cpu in the past decade. Spectre affects every x86 cpu
Old 09-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

still cant get the machine to run PassMark like it ought to. Did Windows Update etc etc.

Guess I will have to send it in for RMA. Do I need to make an online registration for RMA or can I just bring it down to the MacPherson service centre? Do I need to bring any documents like receipt (I only have soft copy from hachi tech)?
Old 09-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

but what the specs of your pc?

im still thinking that probably u are running on hdd and maybe with loads of stuff in your pc (junks+impt stuff) and background apps running that causes it.
ZrE0_Cha0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:20 PM   #9

but what the specs of your pc?

im still thinking that probably u are running on hdd and maybe with loads of stuff in your pc (junks+impt stuff) and background apps running that causes it.
Btw, the laptop is running 8th gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, MX150 graphics, so its fairly decent.
could be some background process though. check with cntl+shift+esc
Old 10-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #10

Disk performance is alright .. By my guesses probably a SSD.

What seems to be the issue is the graphical, processing and memory results. Owing that this is probably rocking DDR4 memory .. and as you have mentioned, the following specifications Processor (quad core), fairly powerful GPU..

Could I check

1. if all windows updates / processes running in the background have stopped? - Disable all Windows 10 telematics and ensure no updates are running.

2. Graphical Drivers used for your device - if adventurous use Display driver uninstaller (DDU) to cleanly remove all residues of OEM drivers and use Nvidia’s Driver on their webpage

3. On your start menu. Right Click for more options and change performance from Balanced (Default) to High performance.

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited by Intrinion; 10-01-2018 at 07:56 AM..
Intrinion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

this is not the same thing.

the intel meltdown affected pretty much every intel cpu in the past decade. Spectre affects every x86 cpu
Initially I was thinking if it is caused by Windows 10 Meltdown patch, but I don't think it should take such a big hit in performance.

Not sure if TS can check what is the temp of the new laptop? It does seem like the performance is being throttled down either due to lack of power, or overheating.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

It's a fresh install of Windows 10, so there's no bloatware or whatever.

Specs are:
i5-8250U processor
DRAM DDR4 8GB
SATA3 256G M.2 SSD
GeForce MX150

CPU Temp from PerformanceTest (test not running) is around 40+ deg C when the software starts, then goes up to 65 deg C and stabilises there.

Here are the processes from task manager

Last edited by VanquishShadow; 10-01-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #13
Supremacy Member

had time to run one round this evening, the system seems to be back to the expected level of performance. maybe the recent set of windows updates were still ongoing when i ran the earlier rounds (Although im surprised that the performance takes such a big hit)

will monitor over the next few days when i have time at home

Old 11-01-2018, 12:25 AM   #14

It does take a hit during windows updates.
Generally from observations (believe there was a thread by a forumer as well) it will smooth out after couple of days.

However having said that synthetic benchmarks are not generally not representative of daily performances.. maybe much more resources are allocated to the task at hand that resulted in earlier skewed results

had time to run one round this evening, the system seems to be back to the expected level of performance. maybe the recent set of windows updates were still ongoing when i ran the earlier rounds (Although im surprised that the performance takes such a big hit)

will monitor over the next few days when i have time at home

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited by Intrinion; 11-01-2018 at 12:28 AM..
Intrinion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #15
Supremacy Member

yup, i was surprised at the extent of impact though. initially, it was a bit laggy (e.g. opening Explorer would be slower on this new PC than my 4-year old one) and i thought it was bloatware from the original Asus installation of Win10

thus I did a clean install of Win10, and I guess the first few runs of the benchmark still had some updates DLing or installing in the background, resulting in an immense hit on performance.

thanks everyone for the kind help!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.