Dell upgrades / new laptop recommendation

junny1

Reaction score
if it's the same money, who would mind getting the more powerful equipment?

it's not wierd at all unless yr budget doesn't permit. i won't be surprised to find Aftershock customers who don't game much. and i'm sure Aftershock isn't complaining some of their customers know little about gaming lol.

is it the same price to get aftershock? as compared to other brands

junny1

Reaction score
What is the comparison between aftershock and Dell's series of alienware lappys?

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To TS, if you're not willing/can't adjust to carrying a lighter notebook without an optical drive, I suggest you don't bother to upgrade at all lah. Stick to using RJ45 cable and don't even use wifi for that matter.

Gaming wise, you want smooth experience, go get desktop. Laptop after 2 years the built-in hardware will become dated. Gaming laptops hard to get smooth experience on AAA games unless it's like $2699++ Razer Blade/MSI range.

There's a reason why many people choose to have a powerful desktop at home, and a slim light long-battery life ultrabook (all without optical drive) for use outside home.

i think it's perceived value cos gaming desktops cost as much as gaming laptops. so ppl tend to think might as well go for portability. At the moment though, seems only Dell sells quite affordable gaming lower range desktops.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the comparison between aftershock and Dell's series of alienware lappys?

the most obvious should be price. y not go to their websites and have a look at their specs?

for noobs like us, just need to see basic things like processor, graphics, ram, hdd/ssd

FlyingNuggets

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I went to the aftershock website and chatted with Marcus, he is very helpful.

He recommended me the model XG15-V3 at recommended config pricing of $1951. I think its good. what do you all think?
https://www.aftershockpc.com/AFTERSHOCK XG15-V3/
Abit pricey but well..

thought you say you no budget?

up the ram to 16.. for incase.. it doesnt harm to have more..

up the ssd and get a HDD for storage wise.. SSD for boot up and your msoffice etc..

You can choose your custom backlight and your custom laptop body

xXshad0wXx

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

He recommended me the model XG15-V3 at recommended config pricing of $1951. I think its good. what do you all think?
Abit pricey but well..

aftershock is good. good after sales service also. and got free lifetime thermal paste repasting

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think it's perceived value cos gaming desktops cost as much as gaming laptops. so ppl tend to think might as well go for portability. At the moment though, seems only Dell sells quite affordable gaming lower range desktops.

If gamers game with branded OEM desktops, then the value versus "gaming" laptops are skewed since it isn't being compared to custom DIY desktops.

As for gaming laptops, I only see value in either two classes. GTX_60M or all the highest GTX_80M. _60M allows design to come closer to Ultrabook form factor, where else if you're gonna have a heavy bulky gaming laptop one might as well go with the flagship _80M GPU.

junny1

Reaction score
thought you say you no budget?

up the ram to 16.. for incase.. it doesnt harm to have more..

up the ssd and get a HDD for storage wise.. SSD for boot up and your msoffice etc..

You can choose your custom backlight and your custom laptop body

i thought this model got SSD and HDD already?
Will find out abt the ram, backlight and body

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i thought this model got SSD and HDD already?
Will find out abt the ram, backlight and body

If its the $1951, den alrdy gt 120gb ssd and 1tb hdd. But u can consider changing to 256gb ssd, which will cost more. Ask them.

junny1

Reaction score
I saw from the gaming entertainment hub, someone mention that the 5th gen core processor and maxwell coming out soon. Shld i wait for it to release or i can get the XG15 V3 model recommended to me by end of the year??

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Abit pricey but well..

very simple. just find another laptop with similar specs tat is cheaper. if u can find, then can also go for that.

xXshad0wXx

Reaction score
I saw from the gaming entertainment hub, someone mention that the 5th gen core processor and maxwell coming out soon. Shld i wait for it to release or i can get the XG15 V3 model recommended to me by end of the year??

you said u do not game alot so why bother waiting for maxwell? new gen of gpus mostly to play those high end games. since u only game occasionally no point waiting for them.

junny1

Reaction score
you said u do not game alot so why bother waiting for maxwell? new gen of gpus mostly to play those high end games. since u only game occasionally no point waiting for them.

Oh i dunno mah...i dunmo new gen is meant forhigher end games

xXshad0wXx

Reaction score
Oh i dunno mah...i dunmo new gen is meant forhigher end games

its not really for higher end games. its for those avid gamers who wants to crank up their settings to ultra or to play in resolutions higher than FHD. since you said you dont really game i see no point in waiting. current gpus are more than capable to play less demanding games like dota, LOL, diablo etc and especially if you need a computer soon.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.