Dell XPS 15 9550 SSD compatibility

Ah Ken

Reaction score
Hi, any user of Dell XPS 115 9550 can share what ssd can be used to replace? As far as I know, only the SAMSUNG M.2 960 EVO can be the only choice. No slot for a 2.5 ssd as the laptop used up the space for extra battery pack. If yes, also how do I get to clone the M.2 SSD? Is there a adapter like M.2 to USB or something related. Thanks in advance!

MrMundy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, any user of Dell XPS 115 9550 can share what ssd can be used to replace? As far as I know, only the SAMSUNG M.2 960 EVO can be the only choice. No slot for a 2.5 ssd as the laptop used up the space for extra battery pack. If yes, also how do I get to clone the M.2 SSD? Is there a adapter like M.2 to USB or something related. Thanks in advance!

just get any nvme m.2 ssd(950 pro, 960evo), make sure the physical size (aka the length) is the same as ur original 1

use enclosure + the new m.2 ssd to clone

can buy this enclosure from a fellow forumer (no relation to him/no gains or whatsoever):
CTRL F the name of the product to find the picture.. don't think i need to teach u how to do it
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/g...rking-storage-stuffs-promo-deals-4835930.html

NGFF M.2 to USB 3.0 SSD Enclosure Adapter Aluminum Case
- Read speed up to 520MB/sec (CrystalMarkDisk)
- Supports SATA B keyed, B+M keyed M.2 NGFF SSDs. However, it does Not Support M keyed nor PCIe devices. Please Check your M.2 SSD type first for compatibility.
- 42mm (2242) 60mm (2260) 80mm (2280) M.2 NGFF
- No Overheat issues and works with large size SSD drives.
- Slim and stylish aluminum case
- Support High Speed SATA III 6Gbps interface
- Brand New
- 30 days warranty
FIXED: $28 each
SELF COLLECT ITEM or $2 Postage & Packing (Normal Post - Not responsible for package lost in the post)

Ah Ken

Reaction score
just get any nvme m.2 ssd(950 pro, 960evo), make sure the physical size (aka the length) is the same as ur original 1

use enclosure + the new m.2 ssd to clone

can buy this enclosure from a fellow forumer (no relation to him/no gains or whatsoever):
CTRL F the name of the product to find the picture.. don't think i need to teach u how to do it
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/g...rking-storage-stuffs-promo-deals-4835930.html

NGFF M.2 to USB 3.0 SSD Enclosure Adapter Aluminum Case
- Read speed up to 520MB/sec (CrystalMarkDisk)
- Supports SATA B keyed, B+M keyed M.2 NGFF SSDs. However, it does Not Support M keyed nor PCIe devices. Please Check your M.2 SSD type first for compatibility.
- 42mm (2242) 60mm (2260) 80mm (2280) M.2 NGFF
- No Overheat issues and works with large size SSD drives.
- Slim and stylish aluminum case
- Support High Speed SATA III 6Gbps interface
- Brand New
- 30 days warranty
FIXED: $28 each
SELF COLLECT ITEM or $2 Postage & Packing (Normal Post - Not responsible for package lost in the post)

Hi, if I not wrong, 960 EVO is a M key. That adapter won't work.

MrMundy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, if I not wrong, 960 EVO is a M key. That adapter won't work.

ah right, my bad, seems like theres no m key enclosure in the market, even aliexpress also can't find:s13::s13:
my suggestion is u reinstall the OS onto the new ssd, just make sure before u do anything,
on the old ssd, boot up, go to pc settings and tie your account to the windows key, then shutdown, change to the new ssd, install windows 10, then activate by signing in into ur ms account

Stupid Idiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Use a backup software to create a DR image of your original notebook~ After that, switch out the new SSD and restore from your DR backup~ It is that simple~! ;) :crazy:

Ah Ken

Reaction score
How to perform that? Use what backup software and if storage is swapped, this is no memory for the laptop to retain its backup right?

MrMundy

Master Member
Reaction score
How to perform that? Use what backup software and if storage is swapped, this is no memory for the laptop to retain its backup right?

what he means is:
1. on old ssd, create the file, after that transfer that file to an external storage
2. on new ssd, restore to that file

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.