HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HP dm4: Fan won't throttle down

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #1

HP dm4: Fan won't throttle down

Hi people looking for some help here. I bought a hp dm4-1046 at Comex and the exhaust fan is just stuck on high all the time. I've disabled the 'fan always on' setting in bios already and it hasn't changed anything. It's equally noisy after a minute of prime95 (coretemp ~75C) as it is when it's idling (~30C). Nothing appears in speedfan also and I can't find a way to manually throttle the fan myself. It's far too noisy to be normal and from what I've read online about the dm4 no one has reported such an issue before.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'd really appreciate any advice that you guys can give me. Thanks!
yourstruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #2

Hi people looking for some help here. I bought a hp dm4-1046 at Comex and the exhaust fan is just stuck on high all the time. I've disabled the 'fan always on' setting in bios already and it hasn't changed anything. It's equally noisy after a minute of prime95 (coretemp ~75C) as it is when it's idling (~30C). Nothing appears in speedfan also and I can't find a way to manually throttle the fan myself. It's far too noisy to be normal and from what I've read online about the dm4 no one has reported such an issue before.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'd really appreciate any advice that you guys can give me. Thanks!
I have the same problem. It's causing my battery to drain pretty fast as well. It just started recently. I wonder if it might be due to a faulty sensor on the board. Did you ever find a way around it?
jpbl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.