HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Installing mSATA SSD as a "cache?" Lenovo y580

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

I currently have the Lenovo Y580 1TB 5400 rpm with a CD drive, and i'm contemplating whether or not i should buy and install a mSATA SSD as a CACHE (not as the main storage disk ":C") to speed up all of my loading times. Is it possible to install it as a cache, just like the y580 model that comes with the 32g ssd? Also, does anyone know the compatible dimensions?

And to the people with the 32g ssd, is the speed boost sufficient, or do you recommend me getting a 64g/128/256g SSD?

thanks.
pepponeskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #2

I currently have the Lenovo Y580 1TB 5400 rpm with a CD drive, and i'm contemplating whether or not i should buy and install a mSATA SSD as a CACHE (not as the main storage disk ":C") to speed up all of my loading times. Is it possible to install it as a cache, just like the y580 model that comes with the 32g ssd? Also, does anyone know the compatible dimensions?

And to the people with the 32g ssd, is the speed boost sufficient, or do you recommend me getting a 64g/128/256g SSD?

thanks.
Old 13-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

thanks.
I'm using the same model as u, n i also cannot tahan the HDD speeds. I ended up swapping out the 1TB for a Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD with the 1TB as external storage. I'm currently playing the waiting game, waiting for other SSD brands to come out with their mSATA SSDs and flood the local market, so that the price of mSATA SSDs would fall to a better price ($199 for Crucial M4 msata 128GB and $229 for Adata SX900 msata 128GB ?!?!).

I forsee three options that u can take:
1) Hoot a 128GB msata (Crucial or Adata) from PCThemes in SLS. But u will pay a premium pricing for this buy.
2) Buy a regular SSD instead and swap out the HDD for SSD. With this u compromise storage capacity, but will make your Y580 speed even faster than using msata SSD.
3) Play the waiting game with me until Sandisk, OCZ and other players enter the market and force the msata SSD pricing to drop. Question will be how long is the wait gonna be.

No point buying a 32GB msata off the shelves, coz running your OS and applications on a 128GB 7mm SSD or a 128GB msata SSD will definitely be much faster than running on HDD with SSD cache.
enenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

I'm using the same model as u, n i also cannot tahan the HDD speeds. I ended up swapping out the 1TB for a Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD with the 1TB as external storage. I'm currently playing the waiting game, waiting for other SSD brands to come out with their mSATA SSDs and flood the local market, so that the price of mSATA SSDs would fall to a better price ($199 for Crucial M4 msata 128GB and $229 for Adata SX900 msata 128GB ?!?!).

I forsee three options that u can take:
1) Hoot a 128GB msata (Crucial or Adata) from PCThemes in SLS. But u will pay a premium pricing for this buy.
2) Buy a regular SSD instead and swap out the HDD for SSD. With this u compromise storage capacity, but will make your Y580 speed even faster than using msata SSD.
3) Play the waiting game with me until Sandisk, OCZ and other players enter the market and force the msata SSD pricing to drop. Question will be how long is the wait gonna be.

No point buying a 32GB msata off the shelves, coz running your OS and applications on a 128GB 7mm SSD or a 128GB msata SSD will definitely be much faster than running on HDD with SSD cache.
i think it will still take 2 years to make the ssd prices sink.

as for now, the HDD speed in gaming still ok for me but I still want to try the msata for caching.

the main problem now is how will I enable the caching if i'm going to buy and install the msata? I have read in the lenovo community that the bios cannot be set to raid as a pre-requisite for Intel Rapid Storage Tech.

Is there any other software for caching the msata?
Old 13-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

thanks.
I dont think the msata slot works as cache, you could try though. I only know it works as storage. Anyway for your case you'll get much better performance boost by selling off your 5.4k 1tb HDD and replacing with a 7.2k one. If you're still not satisfied with that then can consider a 64GB msata SSD to install windows, or if you're feeling rich can go all the way to 120/128/256GB too but prices are still kinda ridiculous right now.
devilwahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

If you are gonna get a 64gb mSata SSD, you might as well install your OS on it. It's much better than using it as a cache. Also I think depending on the chipset used, it may not support caching natively. You will need to get some external application to do that.

Best size to get I will recommend no less than 120 to 128gb. 64 I feel is too small, pricey and slow in comparison to a 120 one.
watzup_ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #7

If you are gonna get a 64gb mSata SSD, you might as well install your OS on it. It's much better than using it as a cache. Also I think depending on the chipset used, it may not support caching natively. You will need to get some external application to do that.

Best size to get I will recommend no less than 120 to 128gb. 64 I feel is too small, pricey and slow in comparison to a 120 one.
what external application do you know that might support for caching?
Old 13-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

what external application do you know that might support for caching?
This I am not aware. Never a fan of SSD caching. Also, I noted the HM76 chipset don't really support SSD caching natively.

As mentioned in this thread, and noted your similar threads in the notebook forums, getting one dedicated SSD to run your main or most used application is the better way to go. Its pricier, but SSD caching is just a way to mask the mechanical drives' slowness. Helps when it comes to launching some commonly used app, and that's about the only benefit it brings.
watzup_ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

I have solved this problem!

- Install the msata into the slot.
- set the bios into RAID or AHCI
- Boot into windows
- download the software "VeloSSD" trial version 2.0.0.7 from softpedia and do not update to 2.0.1.1 or latest version.
- run and configure the software, yet the limitation of the software is upto 32GB only. However, when you buy it for $9.99 you can set a larger cache size.
- DONE -

Note that the velossd 2.0.0.7 works well with my system. However the latest version will prompt me with error. I already asked the support for this software due to the problem I am experiencing.

Now with my current setup, I can boot windows 7 within 35secs.
Old 16-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #10

I have solved this problem!

- Install the msata into the slot.
- set the bios into RAID or AHCI
- Boot into windows
- download the software "VeloSSD" trial version 2.0.0.7 from softpedia and do not update to 2.0.1.1 or latest version.
- run and configure the software, yet the limitation of the software is upto 32GB only. However, when you buy it for $9.99 you can set a larger cache size.
- DONE -

Note that the velossd 2.0.0.7 works well with my system. However the latest version will prompt me with error. I already asked the support for this software due to the problem I am experiencing.

Now with my current setup, I can boot windows 7 within 35secs.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.