Lenovo IdeaPad 120S (usb c to charge laptop)

chris1987

Reaction score
Dear members,

I bought a Lenovo 120s recently and have tried using a USB c charger to charge the laptop but to no avail.

Is the USB C port meant for charging the laptop? Or are there some settings that I have overlooked.

Using my Huawei charger with USB c cable that works with my phone.

Many thanks!

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
UEiw32S.jpg

It may seem that your USB C port is only for charging other USB C devices and not meant to charge the laptop itself (since the power adapter input is next to it). Product manual seems vague about it and I am confused by the ambiguity and definition of “charging devices” on the product page.

Not too sure on the secondary charging method ( it may be possible, but you would have to check the uefi bios / driver settings / software suites to see if there is such an option.

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but since its already have a port for charging the laptop, the usb C will become just any output charging to other devices or a data transmitting. (like copy data back and forth)

furyoo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not many laptops charge via USB C. And if they did they'd probably include a type C charger along as it and to match the wattage of the laptop otherwise the battery will just keep depleting.

I'm certain if it had that functionality they would make it known upfront.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel if there is already a point for a power adapter, then likely the USB Type C port is not meant for charging. So far I only noticed low power devices such as mobile phones and hybrid laptop/tablets using USB ports for charging. Note that using a Type C charger also means a missed opportunity for manufacturers to sell their charger with proprietary ports.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Such Lenovo laptop is charging using the power adapter and this is the case for most laptops. Earlier i also use Lenovo. My HP and Dell also charge using power adapter. May be you can charge your phone or tablet via the laptop usb c port.

furyoo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even if you can charge the laptop via USB type C, none of your current wall chargers can do so efficiently. Or you may fry them if your type C cable isn't smart enough.

Laptop companies can still earn from selling laptop specific type C chargers, because the wattage needs to be upwards of 45w for one single port.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.