Lenovo Laptop Servicing Issues

gen_prop

Reaction score
Dear all,
I would like to seek your advice on my Lenovo Laptop Servicing situation. My machine was bought during the IT fair in Sep 2013. I have sent in for servicing to Lenovo Service Centre (MegaLink @ Bukit Timah Shopping Centre) for several times. My situation is as follows:

I bought my Lenovo Laptop in September 2013. I faced issue of battery problem (battery drains very fast – Battery status shows 1 hour plus (About 40%), 5 minutes later the machine auto shut down. When adapter is plugged in and machine is switched on, battery status is left with 6%). Two other issues are black blank screen (when mouse is clicked, the screen will start to blink) and I also faced hanging issues (5-10 seconds) while using the laptop. (P.S. Kindly bear in mind that I seldom use this laptop during this period, probably 4-5 times only).

I could only take time off from work in early October for servicing (This is because Lenovo Service Centre only opens during the office hours on weekdays and it clashes with my schedule).

During first servicing, they told me it may be due to firm ware issues, so they kept my laptop for 4 days to do upgrading. I took back my laptop 4 days later and was told that they have to order and replace a new motherboard (which takes more than 5 working days) for my laptop. At that point, I was shocked as it was a new laptop, barely used it and now I have to wait for days for replacement of motherboard. I felt that the machine was a lemon and requested to have a replacement of another new laptop, but my request was denied. They told me to do the repair/replacement of motherboard first and see how it goes. I was frustrated as I was worried I will face further problems with this machine.

I sent in for second servicing to replace my motherboard two weeks later. I collected my laptop 1 week later. After collection, I still face the same battery issue. As I was overseas, I could only return to the service centre in January.

3rd Servicing in early January, they acknowledged the battery problem and decided to order and change a new battery for me. Again, I insisted on a change in laptop but this time round, they told me my laptop has been 4 months already. They can’t change it due to their policy. I requested to raise my case to the higher management but they refused.

I collected my laptop again, battery problem persisted even with new battery.. 4th March 2014, I sent it in for servicing again! 4th time! They acknowledge the battery fault again and had to order another to replace. This time round, I ran out of patience and I was firmed on lodging a report to their higher management for a replacement. I insisted to have the management to contact me regarding my case and do not wish to collect the lemon laptop again due to previous experiences. The service centre told me that they will diagnose, lodge a report to Lenovo Care (Malaysia) and get back to me with the results. BUT on 7th March, I received a call from them, asking me to collect my repaired laptop. No report was lodged to Lenovo Care! It was only when I told them over the phone again, my report was only lodged the following week. From that day till 28th March, I have been constantly in contact with Lenovo Care (Malaysia). Despite knowing my multiple servicing situations, they refused to replace my laptop and insisted that I collect my ‘repaired’ laptop.

I am very frustrated with the above situation and the way both the service centre and Lenovo Care handle my case. The laptop is now about 8 months old and it has been in and out of servicing so many times! I have wasted so much time, effort and money!

Without having any choice, I went back to collect my laptop, requested to speak to a representative of Lenovo Singapore. The service centre told me that they were just an outsource centre and had no contact with Lenovo Singapore. They mentioned that even if I contact Lenovo Singapore, they will still direct me back to Lenovo Care (Malaysia). What made matter worse was they notified me that my battery warranty is left with 4 months! The 2 years warranty that was provided to me for my laptop does not cover my battery. Battery warranty is for 1 year.

I sincerely apologize for the long post. After reading the above, I appreciate your constructive feedback on what I should do next as they have left me, as a customer, with no choice but to accept a defective product.
I thank you in advance for your help and hope you can contribute.

Cheers.

Last edited:

gen_prop

Reaction score
Hi pa,

Thanks for your reply.

My laptop is not a thinkpad. If I'm not wrong, mine is IdeaPad, Z500. May I know if the model make any difference in the way I should handle this situation?

Thanks.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi pa,

Thanks for your reply.

My laptop is not a thinkpad. If I'm not wrong, mine is IdeaPad, Z500. May I know if the model make any difference in the way I should handle this situation?

Thanks.

Thinkpad wise the support is onsite so you don't need to go down.
Ideapad is for consumer hence you have to bring it down.
If it's a recent purchase and the product is faulty.
Try to go to back to the store you brought and ask for a refund.
Read up on "Lemon Law" and you will understand why I ask you to do this.

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Reaction score
The service centre and Lenovo is actually not liable under Lemon Law. Lemon Law is only applicable to the reseller. If you need exercise your rights on Lemon Law, you need to go back to the reseller.

2ndly, Lemon Law does not guarantee you exchange, it only guarantee you repair 2 times, then partial refund, then exchange. Since you have inconvenient send in for 4 times, you can go back to the reseller to demand for a solution under Lemon Law.

Hope the information helps. :)

sinkie4life

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The service centre and Lenovo is actually not liable under Lemon Law. Lemon Law is only applicable to the reseller. If you need exercise your rights on Lemon Law, you need to go back to the reseller.

2ndly, Lemon Law does not guarantee you exchange, it only guarantee you repair 2 times, then partial refund, then exchange. Since you have inconvenient send in for 4 times, you can go back to the reseller to demand for a solution under Lemon Law.

Hope the information helps. :)

Not entirely true. How will the reseller (eg Courts, Harvey Norman, or even the neighbourhood electronics shop) repair your laptop for you? In this case, the onus is on the service provider (aka Lenovo Service Centre).

"Under the Lemon Law provisions, the consumer can demand the seller to repair, or replace the defective product. If the seller fails to repair or replace the goods within a reasonable time or without significant inconvenience to
consumer, the consumer may ask for a reduction in price or return
the product for a refund."

http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/central/Lemon%20Law%20FAQs.pdf

Scenario:
My new laptop spoils within 6 months.
I will go down and demand the service centre to repair or replace my laptop. Logically they will choose to repair the laptop first, rather than replace.
If the problem still persists and they are unable to resolve it within a reasonable time, then I will ask for either e reduction in price or a refund.

No mention of 2 guaranteed repairs, then partial refund and finally an exchange.

Kyo_kusanagi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MegaLink @ Bukit Timah Shopping Centre?

Been there only once, and I notice all customers over there all look damn angry. Whether is it sending in the laptop or receiving back their machine, well that explains a lot abt their services.

So far I experience Acer, Dell, Lenovo service support and I could say Dell support experience is the best.

Dell
"Got issue with laptop parts?" -> Call them up and explain the issue -> 2 days later technician come down to your place and replace it without any question asked. :D

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Reaction score
Not entirely true. How will the reseller (eg Courts, Harvey Norman, or even the neighbourhood electronics shop) repair your laptop for you? In this case, the onus is on the service provider (aka Lenovo Service Centre).

"Under the Lemon Law provisions, the consumer can demand the seller to repair, or replace the defective product. If the seller fails to repair or replace the goods within a reasonable time or without significant inconvenience to
consumer, the consumer may ask for a reduction in price or return
the product for a refund."

http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/central/Lemon%20Law%20FAQs.pdf

Scenario:
My new laptop spoils within 6 months.
I will go down and demand the service centre to repair or replace my laptop. Logically they will choose to repair the laptop first, rather than replace.
If the problem still persists and they are unable to resolve it within a reasonable time, then I will ask for either e reduction in price or a refund.

No mention of 2 guaranteed repairs, then partial refund and finally an exchange.

You might not have grasp the Lemon Law correctly. :)

Lemon covers only Business to Consumers.
The law allows the consumer to action from the reseller (a business), be it the reseller have the capabilities to repair, that is another question. The reseller need to assume the responsibility to help the customer to send in to Lenovo service center for repair if they do not have the repair capabilities.

By right, Lenovo service centre are not obliged to do any replacement or refund. However, Lenovo sometimes help the service through by facilitating the exchange as many users do not understand that the lemon comes only Business to Consumers only. From Lenovo's perspective, this is a Business to Business case, i.e Lenovo (a business) sell to the reseller (another business).

That being said, though Lenovo's obligations to consumer is not under Lemon Law, it does not mean that Lenovo have no obligations for the consumer at all. There are other laws such as Fair trade Act, Warranty and Service Act to protect consumers as well. :)

Last edited:

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You might not have grasp the Lemon Law correctly. :)

Lemon covers only Business to Consumers.
The law allows the consumer to action from the reseller (a business), be it the reseller have the capabilities to repair, that is another question. The reseller need to assume the responsibility to help the customer to send in to Lenovo service center for repair if they do not have the repair capabilities.

By right, Lenovo service centre are not obliged to do any replacement or refund. However, Lenovo sometimes help the service through by facilitating the exchange as many users do not understand that the lemon comes only Business to Consumers only. From Lenovo's perspective, this is a Business to Business case, i.e Lenovo (a business) sell to the reseller (another business).

That being said, though Lenovo's obligations to consumer is not under Lemon Law, it does not mean that Lenovo have no obligations for the consumer at all. There are other laws such as Fair trade Act, Warranty and Service Act to protect consumers as well. :)

One ish need to push the retailer to exercise his contractual terms according to Sale of Goods Act....this can then be an issue between the retailer and manufacturer/supplier :)

If not...u can only push the retailers for any issues pertaining to your purchase according to Section 12B of Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act (lemon law) and exercise your rights for warranty nia if u wanna deal with the manufacturer/supplier.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...3b-cba78f1aef9d" Status:inforce Depth:0;rec=0

daewood

Reaction score
Hi TS,

So whats the outcome at the end of the day? They manage to change for u a new laptop?

Dear all,
I would like to seek your advice on my Lenovo Laptop Servicing situation. My machine was bought during the IT fair in Sep 2013. I have sent in for servicing to Lenovo Service Centre (MegaLink @ Bukit Timah Shopping Centre) for several times. My situation is as follows:

I bought my Lenovo Laptop in September 2013. I faced issue of battery problem (battery drains very fast – Battery status shows 1 hour plus (About 40%), 5 minutes later the machine auto shut down. When adapter is plugged in and machine is switched on, battery status is left with 6%). Two other issues are black blank screen (when mouse is clicked, the screen will start to blink) and I also faced hanging issues (5-10 seconds) while using the laptop. (P.S. Kindly bear in mind that I seldom use this laptop during this period, probably 4-5 times only).

I could only take time off from work in early October for servicing (This is because Lenovo Service Centre only opens during the office hours on weekdays and it clashes with my schedule).

During first servicing, they told me it may be due to firm ware issues, so they kept my laptop for 4 days to do upgrading. I took back my laptop 4 days later and was told that they have to order and replace a new motherboard (which takes more than 5 working days) for my laptop. At that point, I was shocked as it was a new laptop, barely used it and now I have to wait for days for replacement of motherboard. I felt that the machine was a lemon and requested to have a replacement of another new laptop, but my request was denied. They told me to do the repair/replacement of motherboard first and see how it goes. I was frustrated as I was worried I will face further problems with this machine.

I sent in for second servicing to replace my motherboard two weeks later. I collected my laptop 1 week later. After collection, I still face the same battery issue. As I was overseas, I could only return to the service centre in January.

3rd Servicing in early January, they acknowledged the battery problem and decided to order and change a new battery for me. Again, I insisted on a change in laptop but this time round, they told me my laptop has been 4 months already. They can’t change it due to their policy. I requested to raise my case to the higher management but they refused.

I collected my laptop again, battery problem persisted even with new battery.. 4th March 2014, I sent it in for servicing again! 4th time! They acknowledge the battery fault again and had to order another to replace. This time round, I ran out of patience and I was firmed on lodging a report to their higher management for a replacement. I insisted to have the management to contact me regarding my case and do not wish to collect the lemon laptop again due to previous experiences. The service centre told me that they will diagnose, lodge a report to Lenovo Care (Malaysia) and get back to me with the results. BUT on 7th March, I received a call from them, asking me to collect my repaired laptop. No report was lodged to Lenovo Care! It was only when I told them over the phone again, my report was only lodged the following week. From that day till 28th March, I have been constantly in contact with Lenovo Care (Malaysia). Despite knowing my multiple servicing situations, they refused to replace my laptop and insisted that I collect my ‘repaired’ laptop.

I am very frustrated with the above situation and the way both the service centre and Lenovo Care handle my case. The laptop is now about 8 months old and it has been in and out of servicing so many times! I have wasted so much time, effort and money!

Without having any choice, I went back to collect my laptop, requested to speak to a representative of Lenovo Singapore. The service centre told me that they were just an outsource centre and had no contact with Lenovo Singapore. They mentioned that even if I contact Lenovo Singapore, they will still direct me back to Lenovo Care (Malaysia). What made matter worse was they notified me that my battery warranty is left with 4 months! The 2 years warranty that was provided to me for my laptop does not cover my battery. Battery warranty is for 1 year.

I sincerely apologize for the long post. After reading the above, I appreciate your constructive feedback on what I should do next as they have left me, as a customer, with no choice but to accept a defective product.

Cheers.

Kyo_kusanagi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah, this thread come up again?

After my 1st service to the service centre... I will never buy Lenovo laptop liao. still sticking to dell.

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

<snipped>

Cheers.

Go to ACRA website and buy Lenovo Singapore directors' information. Get auditors' particulars, if available.

The frontline staff can do little and their stories can mostly be disregarded. It's usually some fat cat sitting in a comfy office staff calling the shots. The frontline staff get only a pittance of the bonuses, if any.

Their template form for commencing repairs now requires that the customer confesses fault for the damages. It is not expressly stated, but this implies that Lenovo is faultless and the customer waives his rights. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the wording on the form.

(whether or not it's an inhouse or 3rd party service centre is irrelevant. The place carries Lenovo branding all over)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

OK, I'll take note of their fxck up service in my purchasing decision of the upcoming LENOVO YOGA 720 15 2017

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll take note of their fxck up service in my purchasing decision of the upcoming LENOVO YOGA 720 15 2017

Thanks a lot

Once Lenovo'd, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever again. Unless their service suddenly magical like IBM days.

nC6GNZK.jpg

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Once Lenovo'd, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever again. Unless their service suddenly magical like IBM days.

nC6GNZK.jpg

Hi

check PM.

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any feedback regarding lenovo ThinkPad On-Site services?

As man-hours are expensive, you'll get pushbacks pursuading you to bring down the laptop instead.

Yes, they attempt to get you to WAIVE the service you purchased, which is on-site warranty.

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

nC6GNZK.jpg

your PM is full, buddy....

EDIT: I refused to even sign the first form they gave me. From what I can see now after thee anger has subsided, it is largely irrelevant from a business perspective which part of the computer is broken.

Last edited:

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

<snipped>

Cheers.

This reply comes a few years too late. It is irrelevant what they said.

If you do not protect your own money and investments, no one will. It is up to you to decide what to do.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
your PM is full, buddy....

EDIT: I refused to even sign the first form they gave me. From what I can see now after thee anger has subsided, it is largely irrelevant from a business perspective which part of the computer is broken.

cleared abit

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.