Poly laptop help

nwh_sg

Reaction score
I would suggest you go for the lighter weight one, you will complain like $%^ if everyday you got to lug a heavy laptop to and fro from home and Poly. If Lenovo Service Centre customer service is OK (not sure), go for the Yoga 3 or something light.

souler87

Reaction score
You can get the asus one also,

gt external harddisk

external Hard disk add extra weight to the already heavy laptop. beside everytime he save some stuff need to take it out plug in and out. troublesome.

souler87

Reaction score
I would suggest you go for the lighter weight one, you will complain like $%^ if everyday you got to lug a heavy laptop to and fro from home and Poly. If Lenovo Service Centre customer service is OK (not sure), go for the Yoga 3 or something light.

wun suggest lenovo for the time being due to the superfish bloatware. sure they come out tools to remove it but just dun feel that confident with the brand now.

MeowWoofz

Reaction score
Would anyone recommend xps 13 for daily school/personal use(word, Excel, web surfing etc)? Or are there any better options?

runeruin

Banned
Reaction score
Would anyone recommend xps 13 for daily school/personal use(word, Excel, web surfing etc)? Or are there any better options?

If price is not an issue then get it
But the ux303 is cheaper with same processor and a proper graphic card and a wee bit heavier

Last edited:

MeowWoofz

Reaction score

make ur choice

Thanks for the links, I've already listed it in my list as well due to its similar weight/specs while being at a lower price. However, I've read around here and from reviews that qc and after sales for Asus is quite bad tho... And I believe the yellow tint for the qhd display is still present.

Last edited:

addicted-addiction

Reaction score
Thanks for the links, I've already listed it in my list as well due to its similar weight/specs while being at a lower price.

I second the suggestion to get the XPS13. Size is like a 11" but packed with a 13" display due to the bezel-less design. plus the crazy battery life it has should be more than sufficient for school.

another review for you to drool over =:p : AnandTech | Dell XPS 13 Review

However, I've read around here and from reviews that qc and after sales for Asus is quite bad tho... And I believe the yellow tint for the qhd display is still present.

imo, if you can go for the dell, go for it. asus service wise and getting a good set is a hit or miss. if its good its really good, if its bad... it will be very bad.

if you really have to get the asus, make sure you inspect it before accepting it.

sauce: i'm using asus302lg :o

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, I've already listed it in my list as well due to its similar weight/specs while being at a lower price. However, I've read around here and from reviews that qc and after sales for Asus is quite bad tho... And I believe the yellow tint for the qhd display is still present.

Asus is a good brand, I think the after sales service issue only occur in singapore

I used a Asus laptop 4 years alrdy, it is still going strong

so no worry

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I second the suggestion to get the XPS13. Size is like a 11" but packed with a 13" display due to the bezel-less design. plus the crazy battery life it has should be more than sufficient for school.

imo, if you can go for the dell, go for it. asus service wise and getting a good set is a hit or miss. if its good its really good, if its bad... it will be very bad.

if you really have to get the asus, make sure you inspect it before accepting it.

The only draw back abt DELL XPS13 is no graphic card

but if you just want to watch youtube video, actually no different

I think I going to get a Dell laptop soon.

MeowWoofz

Reaction score

Hey thanks for the great advice! Really helps a lot! Will probably go down and have a look and feel at both before making a decision.

MeowWoofz

Reaction score
The only draw back abt DELL XPS13 is no graphic card

but if you just want to watch youtube video, actually no different

I think I going to get a Dell laptop soon.

Not a problem for me without the graphics card as I'm not a pc gamer or using any graphic intensive apps. Leaning more towards the xps as well. :) would getting it from school be the best deal I can get since it's a rather recent release?

zero_88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
most laptop doesn't have number pad
if there is, the function will be embedded within some keys and need to activate numlock to use except for those gaming laptop
i would recommend the X550 and dell 7447 as it is quad core and have decent graphic if you ever need to game casually

if you are looking for lightweight,usually those comes with the low power consumption processor and intel graphic,the processor might be slower after a few years

is it true processor might degrade after a few year for a few year?

Sent from SMU using GAGT

Thatguy887

Reaction score
Sorry for barging into the thread but I have this question that I would like to clarify... I read it somewhere before in HWZ that poly laptops have some sort of administration where it is customized and when we need to change some settings in the laptop, we would need the administrative password to change it, meaning that we would not have total control over the laptop that we bought in poly. Is this true?

Thanks in advance! :)

lee-turbo

Master Member
Reaction score
not as you mention, just that the laptop might sent for the sch network configuration only,
during my time, it required manual config or send to it support in sch to configure now pre configure nia

Phantasma

Reaction score
Sorry for barging into the thread but I have this question that I would like to clarify... I read it somewhere before in HWZ that poly laptops have some sort of administration where it is customized and when we need to change some settings in the laptop, we would need the administrative password to change it, meaning that we would not have total control over the laptop that we bought in poly. Is this true?

Thanks in advance! :)

For admin password, that is most likely troubleshootable. Meaning you can actually solve it if you take the effort to, when you encounter this problem.
If you already bought a laptop in poly, this shouldnt be a problem lah.

I mean, I in Ngee Ann soon as a freshman like you, so I won't know as much as lecturers, but this is my opinion. :)

If you are using a laptop borrowed from poly, that also wont be an issue if you can get the password.

markz39

Reaction score
is there a review on the asus x550?

apart from all the laptops, are there other laptops for slight gaming and multi tasking?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.