Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

should I switch to Apple Mac next year?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hailgod
  • 1 Post By bakasora

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #1

should I switch to Apple Mac next year?

HI, I am using Lenovo laptop with Window 10 .

my antivirus expired in 1 year time.

my plan is to purschase new laptop after 3 year usage (new laptop always have complimentary antivirus which last 2-3 years)

The problem is Window 10 frequent updating.

2 week ago. my laptop cannot work after last window 10 updating. Therefore, sent to Lenovo service centre to repair.

I like to know whether Apple Mac got same issue.
Your view is appreciated.
Thanks.
deafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Master Member

Re

Why frequent updating no good meh?

Without frequent updates your OS will have security vulnerabilities which makes it easy target for malicious and network attacks

Do you expect the Mac's OS to update once in every 10 years?

Last edited by Apparatus; 19-11-2017 at 01:08 PM..
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

antivirus expiry lol. u using the virus called mcafee or norton?
ashhong likes this.
Hailgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #4

You buy new laptop because anti-virus expiring? Wait what?
ashhong likes this.
Old 19-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #5

The problem with window 10 updating is :
Updating take long time to complete.
and
my Lenovo laptop stop functioning after last updating.

I had sent my laptop to Lenovo service centre for repair 2 weeks ago.

My antivirus is karasporsky , which is offered by Lenovo shop here free of charge -3 years.

Yes, some of you may think I am stupid to sell laptop after 3 year and buy new laptop.

I kept my Acer laptop from 2009 till now. When I sold it, many second hand shop not willing to accept because it is too old. One Indian shop accept this for $10.

If I sold my laptop after 3 year, I might get few hundred $.

Pardon me if you all think it is bad idea.
deafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anti virus comes free with Windows 10. No need for fanciful ones nowadays.

The frequent updates are (1) for security, (2) for stability, and (3) for new features. Some updates are known to cause problems, but I can understand that due to the super fragmented hardware for Windows, it is very difficult to make sure the updates don't cause any issue for every single configuration. The updates will be very slow because of the number and size of the files, but is probably made worst by the slow mechanical drive you are using I assume?

Changing to Apple likely won't change anything. You will likely face the same issues, and on top of these issues, you will need to fork out a lot for the hardware and get a measly 1 year warranty. I used it for half a year back then, but I find that apps are rare (before the app store for Mac came about), and cost a lot on the Mac.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, some of you may think I am stupid to sell laptop after 3 year and buy new laptop.

I kept my Acer laptop from 2009 till now. When I sold it, many second hand shop not willing to accept because it is too old. One Indian shop accept this for $10.

There is nothing wrong with using the laptop for as long as possible. All laptops depreciate the moment you purchase it. Don't believe? Try posting to sell it on the first day you buy it, and you likely will not get close to the amount you paid for it.

Anyway, I am not sure what is the specs of the laptop you are using now, but try selling it on Carousell cheap, i.e. 50 to 100 bucks. Switching to Apple gives you the false impression that you get a better sell/ trade in value. Don't forget you paid substantially more for any Apple products, and I really mean substantially if you compare Acer with Apple. To give you a perspective of the difference, an Acer Swift 3 with the latest core i5 8250U, 8GB of ram, 512GB of SSD and dedicated Nvidia MX150 can go as low as 1088. Anything with such config on Apple will likely cost you no less than 2K. The SSD upgrade is crazily priced there.
Old 19-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #8

Anti virus comes free with Windows 10. No need for fanciful ones nowadays.

The frequent updates are (1) for security, (2) for stability, and (3) for new features. Some updates are known to cause problems, but I can understand that due to the super fragmented hardware for Windows, it is very difficult to make sure the updates don't cause any issue for every single configuration. The updates will be very slow because of the number and size of the files, but is probably made worst by the slow mechanical drive you are using I assume?

Changing to Apple likely won't change anything. You will likely face the same issues, and on top of these issues, you will need to fork out a lot for the hardware and get a measly 1 year warranty. I used it for half a year back then, but I find that apps are rare (before the app store for Mac came about), and cost a lot on the Mac.
his problem wont be so obvious since all macbooks only have SSD options in them.
just upgrading to a ssd would be good.
Hailgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

The problem with window 10 updating is :
Updating take long time to complete.
and
my Lenovo laptop stop functioning after last updating.

I had sent my laptop to Lenovo service centre for repair 2 weeks ago.

My antivirus is karasporsky , which is offered by Lenovo shop here free of charge -3 years.

Dnt think you will get few hundred for a 3 years old laptop anyway. Must well use it till end of life if speed is still ok. Antivirus can be renew at low cost to you. Save the money for something more useful.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, Apple has quite high resale value actually!
Pay high sell high. In the end you loss more as you money during initial purchase can be use for something else. Money also de-valued each day. For me, if I want to buy a MAC, I take a new one as many other thing you have to consider eg, battery is time to change etc. Services cost is another issue. Buy new then you are covered with warranty.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, Apple has quite high resale value actually!
You just don't get it.

You buy for example a 15 inch MacBook Pro, lowest end is 2788. You get a Windows laptop with the same specs, probably in the range of 1.8K for one with good build. Upfront, you paid 8oo bucks more. 3 years down the road, I sell my laptop for 100 bucks, even if you managed to sell the MacBook Pro for 800 bucks which I doubt so, you have paid it upfront to Apple. I don't think you benefited at all from the "higher resale value".
Old 21-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
Master Member

I personally dun feel macs r worth the $$... Many of it is overhyped.... I was comparing macbook air 13', 8gbram/256gbssd with asus zenbook ux330. $1.5K vs $1k( When i get from amazon), not very worth it.

Unless u need to use specific mac applications, if not i feel nt very worth it.
jeffrey745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

since your problem is windows updating, i share my opinion.
i was previously also a windows desktop user then got an imac in 2011. for the first two, three years, i was still using windows on imac because mac feels unfamiliar and more importantly, it does not have some of the programs i need to use.

eventually, i start to find the constant need for windows updates a pain in the ass. what's with all the security updates and service packs, etc. is the OS so unstable I have to do updates at least once a month; which is an understatement.

one fine day, i did a reformat of my imac and decided not to install windows on bootcamp and try out mac. sure it takes a bit of learning and there are still some features in windows i like to have in mac. but all in all, once i made the switch, i never look back.

i am an average user and do not play graphics intensive games or do video, photo editing. my 2011 imac has lasted me till now as i am typing. software updates come once in a month or 2, or even 3. and it can be itunes or other software updates not related to the os. i don't use antivirus and have not been infected by virus. maybe i did but i didn't know, at least my imac did not get locked down by someone demanding ransom.
Same sentiments.

My 2011 iMac with SSD upgrade has lasted until now.. That is.. after 6 OS upgrades. I just sold my 6-year old iMac for $600.

But that said.. windows 10 has narrowed the gap between mac and windows. I actually find windows ox laptops such as thinkpads nicer to use. I sold my macbook air and now using a thinkpad at work and outside, but stick to an iMac at home.
Old 25-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Switch today and now to a MAC. MAI TU LIAO
netzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #15

I am MAC user since Jan 2014. Initially can really feel its much better than windows laptop.

Now i feel windows 10 has caught up a lot. Mac OS has also gone downhill. My next laptop will be back to windows 10.
Catpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.