HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SIngtel Broadband Free ACER laptop $499 upgrade worth it?

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #1

SIngtel Broadband Free ACER laptop $499 upgrade worth it?

Hi Guys,

Want to do a quick check with those who signed for the Singtel Acer laptop promo. I would also appreciate if any comments can be made to help me make the decision. The ACER laptop specs that is given free is as follows:-

Acer Aspire 4820T-432G50MN

* Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor (2.26GHz/1066MHz FSB/3MB L3 Cache)
* Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
* Intel® HD Graphics
* Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
* 14" HD 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD
* 2 GB DDR3 RAM
* 500 GB HDD
* 2.2 kg with 6-cell battery pack
* 1 year Carry-In Local & International Traveller's Warranty

Recommended Upgrade Options
(Available at point of redemption, while stocks last.)
Item Price
Upgrade from 2 GB DDR3 RAM to 4 GB DDR3 RAM $129
2nd & 3rd Year Local Carry-in Warranty $129
Microsoft Office 2007 (OEM) $99
Acer 14" Notebook Sleevecase $19

I would be getting the RAM upgrade at $129 which I think is reasonable. However, there is another upgrade at $499 for another model whose specs are as follows:-

* Intel® Core™ i7-620M processor (2.66GHz/1066MHz FSB/4MB L3 Cache)
* Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
* ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 with Switchable™ Graphics technology (1GB dedicated DDR3 VRAM)
* Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
* 14" HD 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD
* 4 GB DDR3 RAM
* 640 GB HDD
* 2.2 kg with 6-cell battery pack
* 1 year Carry-In Local & International Traveller's Warranty

Since I am prepared to pay $129 for the ram upgrade, that means paying another additional $370(i.e. $499 less $129) for the processor and graphics card. The small increase in hard disk is irrelevant. I am using the laptop mainly for web surfing, you tube, MS word and some BT.

Guys, hope you can help out and make some comments. I have to make the decision when I collect the laptop. I only have one chance to either upgrade or leave it on its own?

Please help a confused brother.
jetpack1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

If the RAM is 1x2GB, then getting another 1x2GB costs you about $70+ at SLS. You don't necessarily have to choose that upgrade option. Of course, if it comes with 2x1GB, then it could be a different story. However, high possibility that it's a single piece 2GB.

So, it's up to you to decide if you would like to pay $400+ for the rest.

Since you mentioned about the main usage of the laptop, it really isn't necessary to spend that much more just to do the same stuffs...
Pokémon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

for ur usage..upgrade is not necessary IMO
ckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Master Member

Agree.

A notebook is never meant to replace a desktop. Higher processorspeed means shorter battery life. Save the money.

This $500 can be used to offset your SNBB bill.

I just bought a Lenovo X201. Went for i5-540m. Good enough for me though I was tempted to pay extra $400 for the i7-640 but the sales person told me that it's only a 5% booster. Whatever the case, I am using it for MS Office and web surfing and HD video viewing. More than enough.
ginseng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
High Supremacy Member

By the way, you can upgrade the RAM on your own anytime later. It's not difficult at all.

I'd suggest you just stay put with the current config. You might not need the additional 2GB afterall. Only if you really need it, then upgrade.
Old 17-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #6

I was thinking about paying the extra $499 for the added specs as well. But my usage is about the same as yours, so I think not necessary. Additional laptop ram cost around $70-$79 at SLS.
sundeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #7

hmm.. i am also getting this Acer laptop, is the intel chip good enough to play games?

for me, i personally think that the 2 yrs extended warranty $129 is a must, cos the brand is "ACER".... they have alot of overheating and hdd issue. And its not worth to upgrade the ram to 4gb, do bear in mind that win7 32bit at most can only use utalise up to 3Gb ram at most...

Last edited by ahbear82; 17-03-2010 at 06:04 PM..
ahbear82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #8

Thanks guys for all your comments.

I am really half hearted to pay so much for an "upgrade". Considering your comments, I think I will not upgrade the ram but buy the "Extended Warranty" instead because, it is an ACER. I wanted the ram upgrade because stupid intel graphics card is the new HD version and I am not sure how much "shared ram" is going to be utilised by the graphics card. I was afraid left with too little after the ram is used by graphics.

Can anybody shed any light in this area?

My friend has the previous laptop offer from Starhub with the AMD processor and you cannot imagine the amount of problems he have. Did several checks on the website and apparently the particular model was notorious with motherboard and graphics chip problems. There was even a manufacturer extended warranty given to US sold notebooks. However, as it was a freebie, the laptop was not covered in Singapore.

The laptop completely shut down and he went to SLS for a quote to repair. Several shops quoted $450 to $550. Told him just to throw it away and buy a new one.

I hope this ACER can last at least 18 months. Well look forward to receiving the redemption letter and trying it out.
Old 18-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks guys for all your comments.

I am really half hearted to pay so much for an "upgrade". Considering your comments, I think I will not upgrade the ram but buy the "Extended Warranty" instead because, it is an ACER. I wanted the ram upgrade because stupid intel graphics card is the new HD version and I am not sure how much "shared ram" is going to be utilised by the graphics card. I was afraid left with too little after the ram is used by graphics.

Can anybody shed any light in this area?

My friend has the previous laptop offer from Starhub with the AMD processor and you cannot imagine the amount of problems he have. Did several checks on the website and apparently the particular model was notorious with motherboard and graphics chip problems. There was even a manufacturer extended warranty given to US sold notebooks. However, as it was a freebie, the laptop was not covered in Singapore.

The laptop completely shut down and he went to SLS for a quote to repair. Several shops quoted $450 to $550. Told him just to throw it away and buy a new one.

I hope this ACER can last at least 18 months. Well look forward to receiving the redemption letter and trying it out.
First of all "Shared RAM is auto allocated by Firmware and OS".
Worrying about RAM is like worrying if the sky will fall flat on you.

Second you assume too much like typical Singaporeans.
Acer Aspire 3820T is the second generation Timeline Series, Intel HD Graphics + the low TDP Core iX probability of overheating is low unless you put it over an oven.

Lastly you shouldn't have thrown away the laptop there are parts you can salvage even if you are not competent/ambitious enough to do hardware modification + Firmware hacking.

When judging something look at the specs and design layout thermal exhaust and overall component thermal output NOT AT THE BRAND NAME Because Acer/HP/Dell subcontract designs out to ODM they only put their stickers on it not manufacture it.

Last edited by ArcticCheetah; 18-03-2010 at 01:13 AM..
ArcticCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #10

Hi ArticCheetah,

I am sure you are right. None of the laptop manufacturers ever made they own laptops. All of them are probably made by Foxconn or somebody else.

I have posted the thread to collect feedback and comments from members because of the upgrade options. Thus, I am sitting on the fence for all the so called upgrade options. It is the typical sales tactic of "You only have this one opportunity". I must buy it now or else no more.

General consensus is that no money should be spent as this is a freebie and the upgrade options should not be considered.

I made a mistake and did not look properly at the specs. I was not aware that there is no optical drive installed in the laptop. The only think now confirmed is that need to buy an external DVD drive!!!!
Old 18-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
High Supremacy Member

The only think now confirmed is that need to buy an external DVD drive!!!!
If you have other PCs/Notebooks with DVD drive, you may not need an exteral DVD drive for this.

What do you intend to do with this notebook, also playing something from a DVD?

Nowadays, stuffs are easily transferred via thumbdrive/network/Internet. No one really needs a DVD drive as a must have item anymore, frankly.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #12

wah sheeeet, i also not aware that the laptop does not come with an optical drive. zzzzzz
sundeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi ArticCheetah,

I am sure you are right. None of the laptop manufacturers ever made they own laptops. All of them are probably made by Foxconn or somebody else.

I have posted the thread to collect feedback and comments from members because of the upgrade options. Thus, I am sitting on the fence for all the so called upgrade options. It is the typical sales tactic of "You only have this one opportunity". I must buy it now or else no more.

General consensus is that no money should be spent as this is a freebie and the upgrade options should not be considered.

I made a mistake and did not look properly at the specs. I was not aware that there is no optical drive installed in the laptop. The only think now confirmed is that need to buy an external DVD drive!!!!
When I see this sort of "Promotion" I will calculate the actual cost of the contract and laptop cost - the cost savings if I opted for a cheaper subscription.
Because the duration of the contract is long usually you will find the freebies doesn't make up for the price difference.
I strongly recommend not to fall for such sales tactics that appeal to the human attraction to the word "Free Gift".
ArcticCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #14

Hi Guys,

I have check n confirm it comes with DVD rom leh..Check out the below

Singtel Flyer
lfcd66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #15

I must admit that these upgrade options always tempt people into making rash decisions. As they say, nothing is ever free. We pay for it some way or other as Singtel is in the money making business. Acer is also not so stupid to offer an upgrade without making even more money than you taking the "stock" model.

I think I would just leave everything aside and collect my laptop "as it is".

Just curious, after so many comments made by so many members, any body still willing to pay money for any of the upgrades?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.