Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i wonder how much hdd version with 6 cell will cost in sg sia

nVidia

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
went SLS and saw the Acer Aspire 1...

looks really chio lo...compared to Asus EEEPc & Wind

i heard its difficult to upgrade the ram to 2Gb + 512mb on the Acer aspire 1...true?

alamin2

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
saw it at challenger a few times. tried it out.

this linux version is easy to use. actually.. the linux versions of Asus and this Acer are very easy to use.

i prefer the acer one compared to the asus as wider typing area. i find the asus a bit too cramped up to type.

quite nice though. tempted to get

snipes14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
went SLS and saw the Acer Aspire 1...

looks really chio lo...compared to Asus EEEPc & Wind

i heard its difficult to upgrade the ram to 2Gb + 512mb on the Acer aspire 1...true?

From what I read on the aspireoneusers forum, Aspire One doesn't support 2GB RAM. That is, if you install a 2GB stick of RAM, the system won't boot. Think the best you can do is add in 1GB.

hmmbug

Reaction score
Aspire One in BKK

fyi - just bought one in Bangkok (Siam Paragon, IT City) for 15,943 baht - perhaps not the best price in BKK but I'm too lazy to look around all the shops ;-) I'll be claiming a 1043 baht tax refund at the airport on my way back to SG so that works out at approx 14900 baht or approx SG$604. The shop threw in a free Acer Aspire One laptop shoulder bag (in addition to the standard case) and installed Thai & Chinese languages packages too - the aspire one here has a combined english/thai keyboard. Also included is a free trial wi-fi subscription to True Internet until end of Dec '08.

I'll need a to buy a new power cable for SG - cable only, not whole power supply,

for the fashion conscious among you, IT City have it in silver/grey (not sure which as my thai language skills are limited!) and blue - i bought the latter.

impressed so far - been using it for a while in the hotel this evening.

hope this post is of use to someone...

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes and it's pretty much the case for all Intel based netbooks that use the 945GSE and 945GMS chipsets because it only supports 1GB memory modules max. So it's a chipset limitation.

From what I read on the aspireoneusers forum, Aspire One doesn't support 2GB RAM. That is, if you install a 2GB stick of RAM, the system won't boot. Think the best you can do is add in 1GB.

nVidia

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oooh...thanks for the headsup

yeah, max is 1.5Gb

am wondering if say i hav M1/Singnet/Starhub mobile, does the thing even work on the aspire 1?

GiveMeAnything

Reaction score
oooh...thanks for the headsup

yeah, max is 1.5Gb

am wondering if say i hav M1/Singnet/Starhub mobile, does the thing even work on the aspire 1?

I saw your post and search for any answer in Google because I am considering Aspire One and have mobile broadband.

Seems like there will be problem connecting to the internet with Huawei modem with Linpus, especially for non-techie.

Anybody manage to get their Huawei modem working with Aspire One?

snipes14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes and it's pretty much the case for all Intel based netbooks that use the 945GSE and 945GMS chipsets because it only supports 1GB memory modules max. So it's a chipset limitation.

Doctor Vijay, do you have any insider information on whether Intel will shift the Atom to a newer chipset? I'm thinking Intel Atom + G45 or G43 makes alot of sense. Power consumption should be lower, performance should be better, and we have the X4500 for video decoding.

Sunblock

Reaction score
The Aspire One is a reasonable prized UMBC for simply computing like checking emails and surfing the net on the road but dont expect it to watch videos as it doesn't has all the bells and whistles.

bitflooder

Reaction score
Launch date of updated Aspire One and some side thoughts

A notebook review site based in the US has revealed that the updated Acer Aspire One, with the 80GB hard disk and 6-cell battery (and maybe 10" screen), will be arriving in August there. Maybe Singapore will get it at the same time also. Hopefully.

Just went down to try it at Challenger@United Square. There was an EEE 900 alongside it. And from one look you can tell which is the better looking laptop. The Acer Aspire One as a brighter(!) and richer(!) LCD screen, something as nice as the HP Touch Screen Monitors (you know what I mean), and a nicer overall design. It is also faster 'cos the 900 has the old Dothan (or is it Celeron?) processor and this has the Atom. Very depressed about the battery life and available storage space. I'm sure they can slap on a Wireless-N card on the Acer right?

The only issues are the space and battery life, which will get ironed out in the later editions, and Acer might as well slap Wireless-N on to make it more attractive, to make sure it stays on par with, or over its competitors. ACER HEAR US OUT!

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
At the moment, the Atom uses a very different pin-out from the other mobile processors because of its very small packaging size for the tiny die which is a big plus point in terms of size.

But because of this, there is no platform that can readily take in the Atom, unless there's a different socket. Since it's also serving the niche market segment and intergrated market, they are selling an entire kit - the processor and the board combined. And as such, they've designed the board to be based off the 945GSE chipset. Reasons for not using higher end chipsets are purely related to costing, high heat output, size of package, power and its cooling requirements.

So yes, the newer chipset makes more sense, but it doesn't yet favor the overal solution requirements when other factors are taken into consideration. Intel has to master its IGP solution and deliver a power efficient version of it. They can't do that yet, so I don't think it's going to be anytime soon either.

Doctor Vijay, do you have any insider information on whether Intel will shift the Atom to a newer chipset? I'm thinking Intel Atom + G45 or G43 makes alot of sense. Power consumption should be lower, performance should be better, and we have the X4500 for video decoding.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ah good question; there are a few SKUs of that chipset. So it depends what version is used on the KJS. The top-end SKU should be good for HD video processing :)

what about the solution the new KJS are using , the poulsbo chipsets

tarpal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ANy one spotted the Acer Aspire one with 80gb HDD version with either Win XP or Linux? Been waiting for it.

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I touch a few in popular bookshop at jurong point. :o

quite solid built actually.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.