IBM ThinkPad Users' Group

gohkhm

Reaction score
haha damn pressure leh this type of questions. lol. firstly i think dun have 2dvi docking station, maybe have la, but i never see before. haha. thinkpad edge ah, hmmm so far no one brought it in, of course right cause just launch if bring it in, thinkpad lose face liao leh ROFL :s12: but my colleagues all say its a budget thinkpad, can consider getting it. they trying to break into the market with all the new colours haha.

i can't share which series more common la. very sensitive leh. i cannot be jobless, if not my rig cannot upgrade, car loan cannot pay then how? haha.

but generally T series is the older models, T42, 43, 60. but iirc i never recieve t400s before. the SL series sometimes. however there was this "trend" X series cannot boot up because users bought wrong RAMS. lol damn funny. alot of different stuff each day.

Haha..very insightful. thanks for sharing this info with us. FYI, I was previously using a T41 for over 5yrs + and its still going strong...the condition is still fantastic and have since passed it over to my mom. My T61p not so lucky...kato hinge broke recently just into my 2nd year and had to strip the whole thing down to replace the darn thing. Interesting to see the guts of my Thinkpad haha....

OKK77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the HDD for X41 (1.8" goddamn proprietary drive) still produced? I've been using this machine for more than 4 years and my only worry is the HDD failure. It serves well as a portable still. Just loaded it with Win 7.

My main machine, a T61p, is very awesome too. Gotta love the 1920x1200 screen with Quadro M inside!

dasanyuan

Reaction score
yeah T series damn solid. i personally have 2 T60s. shiok. haha. T61p huge monster. heavy duty... oh btw, if u guys need any basic charges regarding servicing just pop. i'll be glad to answer for you.

dasanyuan

Reaction score
Is the HDD for X41 (1.8" goddamn proprietary drive) still produced? I've been using this machine for more than 4 years and my only worry is the HDD failure. It serves well as a portable still. Just loaded it with Win 7.

My main machine, a T61p, is very awesome too. Gotta love the 1920x1200 screen with Quadro M inside!

hmmm, ok for this regarding ur hdd, i cannot confirm with u at this point of time, but u can call 1800-418-9933 and check it out. because the call center will be able to check it out from the part sales store. but u just "warn" u first, u know pricing for ibm parts, i also cannot tahan. haha

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi mike, the only difference is the display and the size of the vram. Other than that, both are very similar specs wise.

Thanks gohkhm - but I thought screen wise T510 is bigger?
I wanted to have 1680 x 1050 resolution if possible - can it fit into 14"? Will be very small rite? Else trying to get 1440 x 900 at least.

gohkhm

Reaction score
Thanks gohkhm - but I thought screen wise T510 is bigger?
I wanted to have 1680 x 1050 resolution if possible - can it fit into 14"? Will be very small rite? Else trying to get 1440 x 900 at least.

Hey Mike, Yah T510 is bigger, but the standard config for the HD display is 1366x768 resolution. Though you can opt for the HD+ 1600x900 or full HD 1920x1080. So in fact the T410 comes with WXGA+ which is 1440x900, more than the standard T510.

Hope this helps : ) (hate the new one eyed smilies)

randomguy123

Master Member
Reaction score
Is the graphics card on the T410 switchable?
If I am going to get it then I would like to upgrade it as the graphics card that comes with it is very basic.

gohkhm

Reaction score
Is the graphics card on the T410 switchable?
If I am going to get it then I would like to upgrade it as the graphics card that comes with it is very basic.

Only the one that comes with discrete graphics allows this. Though there is a lot of talk online that the feature is available only after an update to the Power Manager.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah T series damn solid. i personally have 2 T60s. shiok. haha. T61p huge monster. heavy duty... oh btw, if u guys need any basic charges regarding servicing just pop. i'll be glad to answer for you.

A little OT, thinkpads can last. My friend has an ancient A series chucked in his cupboard for years, and it can still operate today(albiet with dead OS,battery & trackpoint). Pentium MMX /w Windows 98 :s22:

-------------

Dasanyuan, do you have any insider information about the rumored L series that is also replacing the R series?

Thinkpad R series have not recieved a 2010 update which indicate Lenovo may be phasing the model line out.

2feb10lenvoo3iutbv.jpg

This is a leaked 2010 roadmap from Lenovo China.

And interestingly, Lenovo themselves seems to be confirming the existence of the model line as if you navigate to the support side of lenovo website, L410 & L510 appears in the pop down list.

thinkpadl.png

It cannot be a typo of SL series as that appeared further down the list :o

dasanyuan

Reaction score
omg, u're fast leh. to be honest, i have no idea about the L series... looks like u guys are really hardcore thinkpad fans!

Epee

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys.

just wanted to post something helpful in this group. because its shocking to see there is still so many people out there interested in thinkpads.

so just a brief intro, i'm from the service centre. if u have anything regarding about thinkpad, just feel free to ask me. i'll try to help you guys out as much as possible.

:)

Hi, I have a query for you. I have observed that each time I charge my x200 6-cell battery, the reported battery capacity by Power Manager will drop, EVERY the time. The drop can be as little as 0.05Wh or as much as 0.5Wh. So what happens is that after only 120 cycles, Power Manager reports that the battery can only hold 65% of its original charge. Is this normal? Is there any article by IBM regarding battery wear? I have also used other laptops but their report battery wear is much lower.

Regards,
JK

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score
how much would it cost to upgrade the screen from wxga to wxga+ and to add the quadcom gobi module and antenna?

trying to see if its cost effective to buy from school and upgrading or to just buy full required spec from a retailer.

dasanyuan

Reaction score
Hi, I have a query for you. I have observed that each time I charge my x200 6-cell battery, the reported battery capacity by Power Manager will drop, EVERY the time. The drop can be as little as 0.05Wh or as much as 0.5Wh. So what happens is that after only 120 cycles, Power Manager reports that the battery can only hold 65% of its original charge. Is this normal? Is there any article by IBM regarding battery wear? I have also used other laptops but their report battery wear is much lower.

Regards,
JK

alright, for this, hows ur battery life? is it ald more than 2yrs? because this issue happens when alot of users overcharge their battery w/o the proper settings. is ur warranty covered for 1yrs or 3yrs? i cant advise u about the baterry wear because i dun wanna say wrong things. but no worries, u can call the technical helpline at 800-6011-343 check with them to see if ur battery is under warranty to do a replacement.

hope to hear from u soon.

gohkhm

Reaction score
how much would it cost to upgrade the screen from wxga to wxga+ and to add the quadcom gobi module and antenna?

trying to see if its cost effective to buy from school and upgrading or to just buy full required spec from a retailer.

You can probably contact thinkclub directly and enquire if they can place a special order for you (milk your student privileges)...my guess is that they would still be cheaper than retailers. But changing the LCD panel would be expensive as it would require you to change your whole panel, not to mention the qualcom gobi 2000 is going for at least $400 alone. Probably not worth it to buy and upgrade.

dasanyuan

Reaction score
alright guys, for those of u who sent ur machines in before, remember u are always given a case id? if u have machines pending for collection, just let me know ur case id or job no. and i will check for u regarding updates.

only for thinkpad users group! exclusive :s12:

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
alright, for this, hows ur battery life? is it ald more than 2yrs? because this issue happens when alot of users overcharge their battery w/o the proper settings. is ur warranty covered for 1yrs or 3yrs? i cant advise u about the baterry wear because i dun wanna say wrong things. but no worries, u can call the technical helpline at 800-6011-343 check with them to see if ur battery is under warranty to do a replacement.

hope to hear from u soon.
How do you prevent overcharge and how you set the setting?

For me - I always plug in the power adapter whenever I am using it on my desk, use battery when I move around within house/outside and plug it off when not in use - Will that translate to prolong the battery life?

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
alright guys, for those of u who sent ur machines in before, remember u are always given a case id? if u have machines pending for collection, just let me know ur case id or job no. and i will check for u regarding updates.

only for thinkpad users group! exclusive :s12:
Wow! This is what I call Privilege Treatment and Go the Extra mile!

Thumbs-Up for you mate! :D:)

dasanyuan

Reaction score
How do you prevent overcharge and how you set the setting?

For me - I always plug in the power adapter whenever I am using it on my desk, use battery when I move around within house/outside and plug it off when not in use - Will that translate to prolong the battery life?

ok click power manager, check the batt info tab, and see batt maintenance, there is a settting there - charge threshold from there u can set the settings, remember max performance and maxx batt life doesnt go hand in hand. if u have the charger with u, its best to plug it in. like charge after it drops 85% or something. another thing is to check if ur batt condition is it green which is good. if its in the red, its high time u have to purchase a new batt. for example, i'm using my T60 now. and its always plug with the charger and fully charged for max performance, however there are times when i have to plug it out for customers, however my display doesnt auto go dim cause i opt for max performance.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.