IBM ThinkPad Users' Group

Nitrile

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Qingrong said:
anyone here haf problems with the wireless connection adapter so far? hear tt so it's one of the problematic area... any comments? :)

mi and my fren experience it so far....

zero problems here

qingtian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Qingrong said:
anyone here haf problems with the wireless connection adapter so far? hear tt so it's one of the problematic area... any comments? :)

mi and my fren experience it so far....

No problem for me also

qingtian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re: How to add RAM

jiuyang76 said:
Hi,

I am not yet an official R40 owner, just placed my order today but will receive it next week!:) Need some help here...

I bought the laptop from NUS, the cheaper centrino model - 1.3Ghz and 256MB ram. I want to top up 256MB more, but the salesperson advise me to get it from other vendors/shop because the IBM one will come only in end sept.

Is it easy to add the RAM? (i'm familiar with disassembling desktop but not laptop) Any shops in funan or simlim that you can recommend for ram?

Also, will we break the warranty if we add ram ourselves?

It is quite easy to install the ram, just unscrew the cover at the base of your laptop. slot it in and screw back the cover.

From what I know, it will not spoil the warranty.

Don't worry.
:spin:

jiuyang76

Reaction score
Re: Re: How to add RAM

qingtian said:

It is quite easy to install the ram, just unscrew the cover at the base of your laptop. slot it in and screw back the cover.

From what I know, it will not spoil the warranty.

Don't worry.
:spin:

Thanks man!:) you are really helpful.

Any shop to recommend for R40 DDR ram?

qingtian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: How to add RAM

jiuyang76 said:

I do not have any shops in mind cos I not very sure which shops is offering a better pricing.

May be the rest of the Forum members can help in in this. ;)

jiuyang76

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: How to add RAM

jiuyang76 said:

Forgot to add: for R40, does it matter which brand of RAM is used? Kingston, Transcend or Samsung?

Blur me but I could not remember the exact spec. Is it using a PC2100 DDR SDRAM SODIMM? thx in advance...

qingtian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: How to add RAM

jiuyang76 said:

Forgot to add: for R40, does it matter which brand of RAM is used? Kingston, Transcend or Samsung?

Blur me but I could not remember the exact spec. Is it using a PC2100 DDR SDRAM SODIMM? thx in advance...

I personnally prefer Kingston Ram.
I would recommend you to go for this brand.
But it still depend on each other preference. ;)

Regarding the specs of the RAM.

I am not very sure about the exact spce :flash:
May be the rest of the expert can answer you with the correct answer

:angel:

Last edited:

adam_adam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re: Bad customer service

BeiKeHan said:

In case you all don know, the IBM service center at Kaki Bukit is not administrated by IBM. It is being outsource to a 3rd party vendor call Optus.

I went there before and I only got 3 words to describe their service :

CANNOT MAKE IT!!!

Don take me my words for it.... Go there one day and you will know...........

Yes, it is outsourced to a 3rd party.

For my case, I sent my T40 in the afternoon. And the next morning they called me up to tell me my T40 is ready for collection. Apparently my battery went bust and they replaced with a totally new one. They even gave me a carrier IBM canvas bag to carry my T40 out. And the service execvutives were very polite and professional.

Maybe for software issues, they won't be able to troubleshoot so well, as some issues are in nature intermittent. But for black/white cases like hardware failure, they will replace the component for you FOC.

chaos4ever

Reaction score

jiuyang76 said:

jiuyang76 pls read PM

BeiKeHan

Reaction score
Re: Re: Bad customer service

adam_adam said:

For my case, I sent my T40 in the afternoon. And the next morning they called me up to tell me my T40 is ready for collection. Apparently my battery went bust and they replaced with a totally new one. They even gave me a carrier IBM canvas bag to carry my T40 out. And the service execvutives were very polite and professional.

Maybe for software issues, they won't be able to troubleshoot so well, as some issues are in nature intermittent. But for black/white cases like hardware failure, they will replace the component for you FOC.

Well, I am not trying to degrade IBM service here. But it is a fact that i actually get crap service on my first visit.

I remember I dislodged the blue scroll button and ask them to fix for me. And to my disbelief, a guy told me i got to pay for that. But in the end, he fixed it and din ask me to pay.

I think we have to be very careful about the warranty. It don cover everything from what I know..... It is rather subjective I feel....

BeiKeHan

Reaction score

jiuyang76 said:

I remember chao4u try to sell me his infineon 256 RAM for $80.

Is this the one from IBM? Is this better or Kingston?

beluga

Reaction score
Slow text display....

Anyone ever encounter this before in T40?

Occasionally when I type, the system will freeze momentarily and the alphabet will come out one by one slow. After that it's ok....

chaos4ever

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to add RAM

BeiKeHan said:

I remember chao4u try to sell me his infineon 256 RAM for $80.

Is this the one from IBM? Is this better or Kingston?

yap... its the one frm ibm... same part no... now highest bid is $85 liaoz... i see if any of my frens dat upgrade their rams wana sell or not...

X18

Master Member
Reaction score
hey R40 users, did u guys found ur screen not crisp n bright enuf? y i read a lot of reviews they all said that R40 screen not good...:(

i am a R40 user..n i found R40 screen is quite okie wat.

btw, one of my fren told me that laptop lcd screen will becomes yellowish (that means white colour becomes yellowish) after 1 or 2 years, is that true?

qingtian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ppong said:
has anyone used the update connector yet? does it work? cos mine dun :(

Mine work.
But sometime once it connect for a very long time, It will auto disconnect. :mad:

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Bad customer service

adam_adam said:

Wah. So good arh. Still give u free case.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.